• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Expo 2014 convention report

526 posts in this topic

We are back after a 5 day journey to Calgary for the 2014 Comic Expo and it is time to start our annual thread report!

Feel free to contribute to this thread those fellow board members who attended.

Clobberin' Time Comics is Dave ( thehumantorch ), Brian ( 500club ), Ryan ( Kimik ) and myself Karl ( Artboy99 ).

Dave and I had arranged for another Edmonton dealer ( Wizard's Comics ) to haul a huge portion of our comic boxes from Edmonton to Calgary so we could increase the number of books we would have available for sale.

This year the show added an extra day, which meant setup was Wednesday afternoon to evening from 12 noon - 9pm.

I got to his place with my car load and we transferred it to his Honda CRV and we were on the road to Calgary by 8:15AM. It is a 3 hour drive south to Calgary and we arrived at the Calgary BMO center by 11:30. Here is our booth as it was when we got there:

CalgaryExpo2014002_zpsc20e369d.jpg

Boardie Gyro was there and offered to help us with some set-up. Thanks very much for the assist friend.

Dave and I were originally going to load up and drive in the first show day Thursday but we decided to go in on Wednesday instead and I do not regret the decision! We had so much time to arrange the booth and setup our wall racks. It was stress free, and gave us time to walk around and deal with the dealer bombardment :).

Here is Harley Yee checking out what we brought within minutes of our arrival. He did the same last year, he has an eagle eye for comic dealer arrival I guess. Great guy to deal with and he pays fair prices.

CalgaryExpo2014003_zpse8e7509b.jpg

I had lots of sales on Wednesday during the setup, the fellow dealers browse your inventory while you are trying to work and set up the tables.

After setting up and figuring out the best layout for the booth Gyro took us to a burger joint, it was a drive-in type of place called Pete's. We invited some dealers from Winnipeg Manitoba to join us and we had burgers in a park right next to the place. The weather decided to be a buzz kill and it rained while we ate burgers outside. Needless to say we did not last long outdoors and our meal was cut short.

Thursday was the first day of the event, and we arrived early to finish the setup and here is our booth:

CalgaryExpo2014019_zps1d268f9e.jpg

Vern ( Podboy ) stopped by to chat and show us what he had available for sale and he browsed our wall.

CalgaryExpo2014018_zps4183e4be.jpg

Brian and Ryan on their side of the booth:

CalgaryExpo2014020_zps19070090.jpg

Thursday was a very good day for comic sales. We sold several of our packaged sets, and some key books and current hot books like Deadpool and Harley Quinn were brisk sellers. My biggest sale of the show was early Thursday, I sold my CGC 5.5 Hulk #1 ( I will miss you :( )

CalgaryExpo2014004_zpsd732ae90.jpg

You should have posted some of your better pics before you left. This thread will be on the second page by the time you get back. lol

1 up from the bottom of page 1!

....and now I continue.

Thursday after setup I had some time to go browse around and I took a few pics of the comic dealers I found.

Here is Andy's booth ( Boardie Thirdgreenham )

CalgaryExpo2014014_zps6383a44d.jpg

CalgaryExpo2014013_zpsd4ae1a33.jpg

He had a display that was hard to beat!

CalgaryExpo2014108_zps6f2fb696.jpg

CalgaryExpo2014017_zps2094ee2a.jpg

CalgaryExpo2014016_zps34d48fb9.jpg

CalgaryExpo2014015_zps6954e832.jpg

my friend Mike of Whyte Knight Collectibles in Edmonton. He also has a clothing store called Mars & Venus. I have known him over 25 years now. He has a passion for all things collectibles and was recently getting out of selling comics until he saw me into selling as a dealer.

CalgaryExpo2014009_zps00643f53.jpg

Mark of Markcomics. I have been buying / selling with him for around 6 years at shows. This show he brought nothing but modern and copper books. I thought he was crazy but I was wrong.

CalgaryExpo2014005_zps80dd5141.jpg

I met a guy at the Calgary Red & White show last September. The Red & White is a small 1 day only show but it is 90% comic dealers so it is a must attend for us. My client really liked the art I do and he asked for several pieces to be done.

The finished commissions:

IMG_1764_zpsf66f9caa.jpg

He was very happy with them, so happy he has requested 12 more for delivery at the next Red & White show in September!

Here is Kaypike. She is a model and a designer of funky fashion items. I have known her 5 years now and she does Calgary Expo and the Edmonton Expo. I try to get pics of her every show I see her at for obvious reasons. She loves the camera. She changes outfits every day. :grin:

Kaypike_zps67f57f1c.jpg