• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 10.0 now "Gem Mint"

48 posts in this topic

That was also the description noted in the new Overstreet grading guide.

Something had to be done to distinguish 9.9 from 10.0.

Personally I think the name is pretty lame though, how about 'utter perfection (in our opinion)' grin.giftongue.gif

Contrary to what some people have written about the situation, this was many months in the deciding back in the summer of 2002, with people polled throughout the entire comic book collecting community, including many on these boards and elsewhere. It came down to Pristine Mint or Gem Mint, and most people - myself included - believed that Pristine Mint has been so misused over the decades that it would have lacked the kind of weight it needed, whereas Gem Mint was an already established term for the top of a scale in coins, where comics got their terminology anyway. Seemed logical.

Arnold

Oh yeah, and one other thing - again, contrary to what some people have written in other printed venues - I didn't pick "Gem Mint" because it sounded like "Gemstone." Look it up - the Gem Mint term has been around for a very long time. So you can put down your Big Book of Conspiracies and go back to looking for the guy on the grassy knoll. Sheesh. smile.gif

Arnold