• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rai #1 (Matt Kindt)

42 posts in this topic

Who's buying in? Love Kindt, but have been iffy on the Valiant reboot.

Anyone know what the deal is with the variants, no indication of rarity as far as i can tell? Which would be the best to grab out of the bunch?

I'm in the same boat, I love Kindt's work but the Valliant reboots make me quiver. I leafed through it today and it looked intriguing, just couldnt bring myself to buy it (sorry Mr. Kindt).

I thoroughly enjoy Mind Mgmt (Matt Kindt); I had to check this one out.

I only read the pull list preview of Rai. The contents of which, can be found here:

http://valiantuniverse.com/2014/03/24/rai-1-release-date-moves-up-to-april-30th-2014-just-in-time-for-free-comic-book-day/

The art looks phenomenal. It's so detailed, I can see the art having trouble keeping up with a monthly release schedule.

I am intrigued; so much so that I will be researching the likes of Magnus Robot Fighter.

RAI_001_004-640x984.jpg

Just finished reading it. Haven't read a Rai comic before, but I thought it was pretty good for a first issue. Had a futuristic noir feel too it. Looking forward to issue 2. The Spylocke page at the end was pretty amusing.

I am intrigued; so much so that I will be researching the likes of Magnus Robot Fighter.

The current series of Magnus Robot Fighter is not related to Valiant... not sure if you were thinking it was connected.

Back in the day (1991-1992), Rai was introduced in Valiant's Magnus Robot Fighter #5 through #8 in a flipbook format.

You can't go wrong with Magnus #1 - #8 from Valiant 1991-1992, and the "big boy" collectible is Magnus #1 from Gold Key 1963.

Dynamite's current series of Magnus, Solar, and Turok are non-Valiant books.

Anyone know what the deal is with the variants, no indication of rarity as far as i can tell? Which would be the best to grab out of the bunch?

Thus far, Valiant (2012 - current) series haven't had any particular surprises when it comes to variant values.

The 1:50 books are usually $50 or less... some can be $15.

Regular books (or non-incentive variants) have stayed around cover price (or discounted after a little while).

It will be interesting to see when (or if) the very low print variants (1,000 copies or less) become more desired.

I'm in the same boat, I love Kindt's work but the Valliant reboots make me quiver.

What's your fear? :hi:

My fear is that I have obsessive completist collector tendencies and the 1000+ covers for XO Man. freaked my wallet out lol

Also, never got into Rai the first time around, and Valiant art has never really caught my eye.

Thus far, Valiant (2012 - current) series haven't had any particular surprises when it comes to variant values.

The 1:50 books are usually $50 or less... some can be $15.

Regular books (or non-incentive variants) have stayed around cover price (or discounted after a little while).

It will be interesting to see when (or if) the very low print variants (1,000 copies or less) become more desired.

With Rai my LCS had an equal number of all the variants, with many buyers asking what the difference was. Even as I had looked earlier on Midtown I couldn't remember who's variant was who's. Hardly see the point in having the variant plan they did. Even the higher tiered ones use the same layout.

With Rai my LCS had an equal number of all the variants, with many buyers asking what the difference was. Even as I had looked earlier on Midtown I couldn't remember who's variant was who's. Hardly see the point in having the variant plan they did. Even the higher tiered ones use the same layout.

You're right. There have been some discussions about the confusing nature of Valiant variants.

There's nothing to indicate the incentive ratios on the covers and apart from my own website (ValiantFans.com), I don't know if there's a consistent place to find the information about 1:10, 1:20, etc.

In the case of Rai #1, there are retailer exclusives which were not announced in advance. I'm not sure if we even know all of them yet, or what their print runs would have been.

I'm in the process of re-writing the whole website, so I don't have a good link for just Rai #1, but you can scroll down to April 30th and see the ones that were in Previews.

http://valiantguide.com/quickview

I'm in the same boat, I love Kindt's work but the Valliant reboots make me quiver.

My fear is that I have obsessive completist collector tendencies and the 1000+ covers for XO Man. freaked my wallet out lol

Also, never got into Rai the first time around, and Valiant art has never really caught my eye.

If Rai #1 art doesn't catch your eye, I'd be happy to see what you recommend instead. :foryou:

If Rai #1 art doesn't catch your eye, I'd be happy to see what you recommend instead. :foryou:

More of a fan of scratchy/painted/brush work, huge sucker for water coler, like Kindts work on Mind MGMT. I'll check Rai out though. I'm open minded :)

More of a fan of scratchy/painted/brush work, huge sucker for water coler, like Kindts work on Mind MGMT. I'll check Rai out though. I'm open minded :)

Gotcha. Rai #1 has incredible detail hyper-realistic digital future Japan.

FCBD_ValiantHandbook_Rai.jpg

Youtube.com "trailer" for Rai #1:

Very different than scratchy/painted/brush work. (thumbs u