• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plea for Interesting Ask CGC questions

92 posts in this topic

If you have a focus, and a specific plan that does not require a degree, you will do well. Some of the most successful people are those who strayed off the beaten path.

I was criticized immensley when I decided not to attend, but now those critics have been served a nice slice of "humble pie".

I think the primary cause for a lack of success( with or without a degree) is a lack of focus.

But dam is right, statistically, people with degrees make more money.

Just wanted to add that school teaches you to work for someone else. There's nothing wrong with that, but it dosen't fit some people. After all, there'd be no companies to work for if there weren't people taking a chance and starting them.

Yeah, I had to put that in considering your mentioning of my snippy comments in some recent posts!

So...has your shill Darth bid up your books accordingly yet? shocked.gif

It's common for people to think that knowing something is as good as knowing how to do something.

I'm in the IT field and I work with a lot of people that have fancy letters in their e-mail sigs like "MCSE" and "CCNA" that can't keep a network running. Then there are guys that have no fancy letters that hardly lift a finger to keep their networks up. I have been lucky because I learned how do my job by actually doing it and then it was easy for me to take tests and get fancy letters after my name. The best part is that my employer paid for the tests!

Was I able to do my job better after getting the fancy letters? No, not really, but the fancy letters are nice to be able to put on a resume. They don't mean I can do the job, but they hint that I may be worth taking a chance on.

Andrew, I am sure you have, but you should read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". Similar point on how school teaches you to be a cog in a wheel. Personally, I had a blend of the two. My mother's father was a university professor too and my dad and his father have a printing business which they own. A lot of risk in your own business, but the rewards can be there too.

DAM

The ultimate exception of a college drop out would have to be Bill Gates! grin.gif He just so happens to be one of the richest men in the whole country now. laugh.gif

Anybody know anything about Jim Carryes' education? I've heard his rags to riches story, but I can't remember anything about his educational backgroud.

My dad is also another exception. He graduated from high school, but has no college education. He is one of the wisest men that I've ever known. He can do many things that people with higher education cannot. He almost (not quite) single handidly built the house that he and my mom lives in (not the first one he built either). He could have done everything, but tasks such as hanging sheetrock, he would rather pay someone else to do, for obvious reasons. My dad can work on automobiles because he not only understands how an engine works, but he can DO the work. If it were not for a business partner that went bad on him, my dad might still be in the drive-in restaraunt business. He co-owned a number of "Sonic" drive-in restaraunts in several states. My dad is quite the businessman, he is self-employed, and owns his own business. Job security is not a problem for us because as long as houses are furnished with electricity, then we will have a job. He is an electrican, has been for many years, and looking at other people's work, we are a couple of the best in the area where we live. And to think that I make it possible for people to plug in their PC's into a wall outlet.

(This is a statement directed at nobody in particular) Anyway, I'm not against getting an education, but I can't stand it when a person thinks they are better than someone else just because they graduated from Harvard. It might impress an employer, but it doesn't impress me. The fact is, we do not all live in the same area, have the same parents, have the same income, or have the same opportunities. Just because someone does not have a higher education, does not mean that they somehow lack the ability to learn. Afterall, we are not born with the knowledge to tie our shoes, but we are born with the ABILITY to learn how to ties our shoes, although the ability to learn/think/reason may come more natural for some of us than others. blush.gifgrin.giftongue.gif