• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

no way this scintillating thread could have stayed off page 1 long.

Though I don't believe you are Pro Shave, you have never supported us in this crusade and have been very vocal about it.. I don't know you so I can only speculate as to your motives. I can only speak for me, I am a collector and fan of the hobby. Who or what are you ?

well of course I'm not "pro-shave"---I like pretty books, like most all of us.

my issue: when I have a matter to brief that can be treated in 20 pages, I don't send the court a 393 pg document. this thing is just so damn overcooked.

oh, and guilty as charged on the beyonder's incisive point.

I can't argue with you about the length of this thread. Matt could have stopped it a long time ago by simply saying okay, I will tone it down, this will not happen again.

Anything you can share with us about Matt's attitude about this thread ?

Surely you have some information that would not betray him. Why did he stop communicating ?

Is this thread dead or hibernating ? It's apparent we will not be receiving any

responses from the 'powers that be'. The hobby has lost. Embrace the new look of your books.

Hasn't Mark Z. indicated he will report back at some point? (shrug)

I fear he had more teeth prior to his CGC employment. :(

Mark still has all of his teeth. (thumbs u

Are they still as sharp as they were in the days of NOD?

Yes. I will refrain from posting thumb jokes. :baiting::grin:

responses from the 'powers that be'. The hobby has lost. Embrace the new look of your books.

Mark still has all of his teeth. (thumbs u

Are they still as sharp as they were in the days of NOD?

Yes. I will refrain from posting thumb jokes. :baiting::grin:

:tonofbricks:

I can't argue with you about the length of this thread. Matt could have stopped it a long time ago by simply saying okay, I will tone it down, this will not happen again.

Surely you have some information that would not betray him. Why did he stop communicating ?

Matt has posted multiple times in this thread. Paul has posted here too. Do you really think that CCS and CGC wouldn't take steps to address this? Yes, they haven't posted here recently. But CGC has written about cover shrinkage on their website. That doesn't seem like something they would do if they were ignoring the issue.

Yes. (thumbs u

Matt has posted multiple times in this thread. Paul has posted here too. Do you really think that CCS and CGC wouldn't take steps to address this? Yes, they haven't posted here recently. But CGC has written about cover shrinkage on their website. That doesn't seem like something they would do if they were ignoring the issue.

I hope you are right. :wishluck:

...... he is. For us, what we post here is just our opinion and a virtually anonymous one at that. What a CGC representative posts becomes their "position" and needs to be carefully thought out and analyzed first. I do have a question..... have the aforementioned books been sold yet, and if so, for how much ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I doubt we'll see any kind of grand statement. But I suspect we'll see fewer Costanza'd books in the future.

You sound..., experienced. :eek:

:tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

I know you are.

Though I don't believe you are Pro Shave, you have never supported us in this crusade and have been very vocal about it.. I don't know you so I can only speculate as to your motives. I can only speak for me, I am a collector and fan of the hobby. Who or what are you ?

A good friend of Matt I gather.

Make of that what you will....

Seriously ? That would explain a lot. I have heard Richard (Bedrock) is good friends with Matt, however, Richard handled it well. He had a great post requesting that pressers tone it down a little. Sometimes your best friends are the ones that tell you when you have a snot on your nose.

I hope this is meant as some sort of compliment. The idea that you guys are judging people based on their friendships with Matt, or anybody else, is really ridiculous. I've had a beer with Chris (the Beyonder) before, he's okay by me most of the time, and he's one of the biggest tools in this shed of a thread.

Seriously ? That would explain a lot. I have heard Richard (Bedrock) is good friends with Matt, however, Richard handled it well. He had a great post requesting that pressers tone it down a little. Sometimes your best friends are the ones that tell you when you have a snot on your nose.

I hope this is meant as some sort of compliment. The idea that you guys are judging people based on their friendships with Matt, or anybody else, is really ridiculous. I've had a beer with Chris (the Beyonder) before, he's okay by me most of the time, and he's one of the biggest tools in this shed of a thread.

I find I must agree with Richard. lol, this is a shed of a thread for certain.

This is an interesting list of questions. I don't remember seeing an answer to them. I think I'd like to take a shot at a few of them:

• Why do the interior pages stick out more at the top right edge and gradually taper to an even match with the cover at the bottom right edge?
    The books had a dampness about them when we received them. I remember the smell quite clearly.
  • Why does the cover extend past the interior pages at the top edge of the comic?
    Because as the book did it's final drying in the first weeks of its life......
  • Why did the interior pages of 80 page annuals not extend beyond the right edge of the cover?
    Again, I got nothing except for perhaps the newsprint was already at a dryer state at the time of assembly. Total shot in the dark. (shrug)

As I write this, another factor comes to mind which is that many newsstands in the 1940s were outdoor with no climate control, hence they would be damp (relatively speaking) on rainy days, cold on cold days, humid on very hot days, etc. I'm sure that would play a role also. Depending on the weather, books would dry at a faster or slower rate. But this is all just an educated guess. I really have no idea how these books got like this "naturally", whatever that means.

Great observations! This is very helpful in determining exactly how comics acquired their final shape.

Any idea how long the moistness was apparent after receiving the books?

If the books were moist to the touch upon delivery, they would not yet have reached equilibrium humidity and would contract until they did. Different paper stocks can contract at different rates.

Huh, in my eyes its kind of along the lines of wood during its drying process and how it is stacked.......

You can get any or all types of cracking and splitting due to shrinkage and expansion from the moisture moving due to its - laid position (gravity), heat, density of piece, sunlight exposure and wind. Or just the path of least resistance against its own grains, knots, insect or bird damage for which the moisture can dissipate.

If proper even drying time and same conditions of such aren't matched for either - you can get fugly, or varied looking products. Right?

Actually seems like there are fairly big tolerances with post production comics. Upon transporting, handling or storing of them if too fresh off the press. lol!

:olol

ricky, choose your words more carefully; this is bound to get a crusader to say something like "the only tools around here are the ones used by matt to work on these books, so THERE!" and then get a "touche" from somebody about it.

ricky, choose your words more carefully; this is bound to get a crusader to say something like "the only tools around here are the ones used by matt to work on these books, so THERE!" and then get a "touche" from somebody about it.

Why would folks want to touche Matt's tool?

That was painful to read.

Whereas my overcooked comment was clever. (shrug)