• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

I think this really is a matter of perception. People perceive that CGC is not doing there due diligence in grading comics of the "Cole Schave" ilk, and CGC does not respond other then saying they may need a further "light press". To say that this does not build a "perception" of lack of integrity or potential bias, warranted or not is probably not a ideal situation for a grading company. Whomever did the hack pressing job's on these should cease and desist, but ultimately the buck stops at CGC's doors and they can either roll with these abominations, or grade them accordingly to stop them in there tracks. Either they don't care or ?, if not the perception of lack of integrity or bias will be perpetuated. 2c

Holy Cow. I can't believe what this thread has devolved in to.

Some of you guys can beat this dead horse until the bones are powderized, and it is not going to change another thing.

Look, no one did this to books on purpose. No one's goal was to shrink books. Not Doug's. Not Matt's. It was a mistake. You brought it to everyone's attention. The mistake has been rectified. CGC has acknowledged the problem and adjusted their policy on the books. That's it. End of story.

Its time to get over it.

Some of you guys can beat this dead horse until the bones are powderized, and it is not going to change another thing.

Look, no one did this to books on purpose. No one's goal was to shrink books. Not Doug's. Not Matt's. It was a mistake. You brought it to everyone's attention. The mistake has been rectified. CGC has acknowledged the problem and adjusted their policy on the books. That's it. End of story.

Its time to get over it.

:cloud9: ..... and everyone needs to start likeing each other again..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Its time to get over it.

And.....fade to black.

it's not personal, sonny. it's strictly business.

A simple Godfather quote, and you've managed to sum up why it is we have opposing viewpoints.

Bravo :golfclap:

i doubt that we have seriously divergent viewpoints, unless you're for cgc noting that a book has been pressed by the sister company [but no notation for pressed books from "external" agencies]; that's the only one of the "major" suggestions among these almost-400 pages i disagree with. i in fact:

think the schave books should be more harshly graded.

think the process that produced the defect should be changed/dropped.

think the books are ugly, and wouldn't own one in high grade [it wouldn't bother me much on a low-mid grade book].

and, think repeated pressing of a book is a bad thing.

where are you on these things?

Its time to get over it.

:cloud9: ..... and everyone needs to start likeing each other again..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Amen, everyone her are comic book collecting nerds and should all be on the same team.

Its time to get over it.

Yours is a positive outlook on the matter. One I can certainly appreciate given the circumstances. Pessimism needs a healthy dose of optimism to balance out discussions and topics of a more serious tone.

At face value, this mess might have followed your line of thought more closely IF CCS/CGC themselves came forward with the books spotlighted in this thread.

None more proof-positive a case for them to address the Avenger 1 spine shifting announcement if they had caught the Batman 23 to prove they could walk the walk.

The motivation of money is another major culprit in this tangled web, but to simply deem this as a distraction or waste of time might have been more salient a position to take in the matter had they not been caught.

More concerning of course is the lackadaisical attitude, the minimizing, and disinformation that's surrounded this situation.

Look, if CGC had come forward and said half of the things you just said, do you realize the effect this would have had on the perception of mistrust they created for themselves?

Repeat: They did this to themselves. Why are people who have participated in this thread being likened to rubber-neckers stopping the flow of traffic?

You can't turn people's suspicions off like a light switch. That there is reality.

The lingering matter of feeling like we have been screwed, blued and tattooed is one thing, but the thought that we are barely scratching the surface because of the tug of war match between the lure of easy money and hobby stewardship is why a lot of people (myself included) would revel in the idea of this being the last we'll hear of this.

I would like to share your optimism that this will be the end, but the realism, restraint and resolution in me is bracing myself for the worse yet still to come, while the other part just hopes for the best. 2c

Amen, everyone her are comic book collecting nerds and should all be on the same team.

What I find the most unbelievable is that most, if not all people that have been involved in this thread have been on the same side from the very start.

The ones that don't realize it are too busy looking for reasons to argue rather than reasons to get along.

The greatest derail that has wound it's way throughout this entire, god-awful thread has been the emotional and personal attacks among forum members.

The next time you wonder why nothing ever changes in politics, just remember that it's no different than a pressing thread: everyone wants world peace but nobody can get themselves out of the way to actually get there.

Unbelievable and sad.

What I find the most unbelievable is that most, if not all people that have been involved in this thread have been on the same side from the very start.

The ones that don't realize it are too busy looking for reasons to argue rather than reasons to get along.

The greatest derail that has wound it's way throughout this entire, god-awful thread has been the emotional and personal attacks among forum members.

The next time you wonder why nothing ever changes in politics, just remember that it's no different than a pressing thread: everyone wants world peace but nobody can get themselves out of the way to actually get there.

Unbelievable and sad.

your FACE is unbelievable and sad!

tell Lou hey for me.

Its time to get over it.

Yours is a positive outlook on the matter. One I can certainly appreciate given the circumstances. Pessimism needs a healthy dose of optimism to balance out discussions and topics of a more serious tone.

At face value, this mess might have followed your line of thought more closely IF CCS/CGC themselves came forward with the books spotlighted in this thread.

None more proof-positive a case for them to address the Avenger 1 spine shifting announcement if they had caught the Batman 23 to prove they could walk the walk.

The motivation of money is another major culprit in this tangled web, but to simply deem this as a distraction or waste of time might have been more salient a position to take in the matter had they not been caught.

More concerning of course is the lackadaisical attitude, the minimizing, and disinformation that's surrounded this situation.

Look, if CGC had come forward and said half of the things you just said, do you realize the effect this would have had on the perception of mistrust they created for themselves?

Repeat: They did this to themselves. Why are people who have participated in this thread being likened to rubber-neckers stopping the flow of traffic?

You can't turn people's suspicions off like a light switch. That there is reality.

The lingering matter of feeling like we have been screwed, blued and tattooed is one thing, but the thought that we are barely scratching the surface because of the tug of war match between the lure of easy money and hobby stewardship is why a lot of people (myself included) would revel in the idea of this being the last we'll hear of this.

I would like to share your optimism that this will be the end, but the realism, restraint and resolution in me is bracing myself for the worse yet still to come, while the other part just hopes for the best. 2c

dead_horse.jpg

Its time to get over it.

Missed that post, maybe someone can quote it. :wishluck:

Will there be a sticky stating how Schave'd books are to be retrieved and corrected? Will CGC be cutting checks if the 'light press' correction treatment doesn't correct it? Can folks opt for a simple regrading and decline the treatment?

The sticky will probably provide those answers, whenever it goes up. Untill then..?

No need to turn my comments into something they are not.

The intentions of the scarecrow came into question. I simply explained his perceived indifference.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's you that decided to make this personal Richard.

The final note should not be about the disservice to "friendships", but the attempts to shut down opposing views.

When they stop the Heckling and Jeckling, there will be no backdraft. Poceeding with it will only consume them. (thumbs u

i disagree; the final note for me is to get the definition of "poceeding."

I think people who have stuck shift keys, should not tease people who have stuck "r" keys.

Next person who teases another one, has to write in green so we know they are just teasing.

On a more serious note, there was interesting possible information brought up by Dice many moons ago, he's since changed jobs, which is why he never stopped back with the answer to the questions from his source. I was hoping he's post that, but I guess he's busy.

I'm still waiting for Mark, since he said he'd stop back. He has many jobs, so I guess that is going to take a while longer, but I check at midnight just in case..

I know that most people here agree in their hearts, but Mark has led me to believe he'll clarify a few things.

The thread needs the closure from Mark, otherwise it's going to keep drifting into mine is bigger than your's jokes.

Its time to get over it.

Will there be a sticky stating how Schave'd books are to be retrieved and corrected? Will CGC be cutting checks if the 'light press' correction treatment doesn't correct it? Can folks opt for a simple regrading and decline the treatment?

The sticky will probably provide those answers, whenever it goes up. Untill then..?

Until then, people are free to not buy a book if they don't like the way it looks.

Its time to get over it.

Didn't Matt and Paul already address all of these things?

They are aware that the covers shrank.

They have posted that covers can shrink for various reasons.

They have stated that the Schave books were not downgraded because the books were graded consistently with CGC's grading standards.

As I said in the earlier post, we've already made strides to eliminate any possibility of shrinkage in the future. This should be a goal for everyone who presses books right now.

I'm not sure what else you're looking for?

(shrug)

No need to turn my comments into something they are not.

The intentions of the scarecrow came into question. I simply explained his perceived indifference.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's you that decided to make this personal Richard.

The final note should not be about the disservice to "friendships", but the attempts to shut down opposing views.

When they stop the Heckling and Jeckling, there will be no backdraft. Poceeding with it will only consume them. (thumbs u

i disagree; the final note for me is to get the definition of "poceeding."

I think people who have stuck shift keys, should not tease people who have stuck "r" keys.

Next person who teases another one, has to write in green so we know they are just teasing.

On a more serious note, there was interesting possible information brought up by Dice many moons ago, he's since changed jobs, which is why he never stopped back with the answer to the questions from his source. I was hoping he's post that, but I guess he's busy.

I'm still waiting for Mark, since he said he'd stop back. He has many jobs, so I guess that is going to take a while longer, but I check at midnight just in case..

I know that most people here agree in their hearts, but Mark has led me to believe he'll clarify a few things.

The thread needs the closure from Mark, otherwise it's going to keep drifting into mine is bigger than your's jokes.

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!!!.

but seriously, sha', this is the guy so thinskinned that he went internet stalking/seaching to come up with links to other websites to fight his fights against ricky and originalisbest---if you can't tease a guy like that, who can you tease?

[aw, hell, let me come clean: i'm still feeling slighted that he didn't find a link on me to post---there, i said it]