• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

Awesome - my point, which I have been drifting off on, and is tangential in and of itself, was that maybe the spot on the front cover disappeared because the covers had been cleaned. Whether the spots/stains on the back are still there or gone, I will be closer to an answer.

:applause:

-slym

Awesome - my point, which I have been drifting off on, and is tangential in and of itself, was that maybe the spot on the front cover disappeared because the covers had been cleaned. Whether the spots/stains on the back are still there or gone, I will be closer to an answer.

I don't doubt for a minute the book has been dry-cleaned - which could very well have removed that spot. My point was just that scans lie :)

I don't doubt for a minute the book has been dry-cleaned - which could very well have removed that spot. My point was just that scans lie :)

The question is whether or not those back cover stains are still there. Do you believe DRY-cleaning could remove those?

Where's the 9.0 posted for sale? Would love to request a bc scan. No way a 9.0 could have that kind of staining.

+1

Another nice book wasted and ruined forever :facepalm:

i sure would love to own this ruined thing.

Buy it then

i'm more in the market for a 4.5 with similar poke thru.

The question is whether or not those back cover stains are still there. Do you believe DRY-cleaning could remove those?

Foxing cannot be removed through dry cleaning. The treatments tend to be specific to the type of "mould" (spores) and the paper used.

Foxing cannot be removed through dry cleaning. The treatments tend to be specific to the type of "mould" (spores) and the paper used.

It doesn't look like foxing to me. It looks like a stain. Maybe CGC considers is a production related stain and therefore doesn't effect the grade (shrug)

Foxing cannot be removed through dry cleaning.

As much as it scares me to disagree with you....you may be wrong here.

It doesn't look like foxing to me. It looks like a stain. Maybe CGC considers is a production related stain and therefore doesn't effect the grade (shrug)

That looks like foxing to me on the rear cover.

I didn't notice 'foxing removal' on the CCS menu.... hm

What about water stains? Can they be cooked out too? :wishluck:

This persons blog has some good visual examples.

This quote puts to rest any suggestion that a "wax on, wax off" method would work:

All of my formulae including the removal of water stains, ink, foxing, oxidation etc... I don't manufacture or sell any of my formulae, nor have I ever patented or published papers or DVD's on them as there is no point, none of them are wipe on, wipe off products you can easily learn how to use

Even if one were successful in using an aggressive, abrasive "dry cleaning" method (as I can't imagine a non-abrasive method would do anything) to "reduce" the appearance of foxing, there is the problem of needing to neutralize the mould, which inevitably leads to the eventual disintegration of the paper if it is not treated properly.

This quote puts to rest any suggestion that a "wax on, wax off" method would work:

All of my formulae including the removal of water stains, ink, foxing, oxidation etc... I don't manufacture or sell any of my formulae, nor have I ever patented or published papers or DVD's on them as there is no point, none of them are wipe on, wipe off products you can easily learn how to use

Even if one were successful in using an aggressive, abrasive "dry cleaning" method (as I can't imagine a non-abrasive method would do anything) to "reduce" the appearance of foxing, there is the problem of needing to neutralize the mould, which inevitably leads to the eventual disintegration of the paper if it is not treated properly.

Interesting write-up.... hm

This guy could probably tell us a lot about our comic books.

The blog was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

I recently had an enquiry from a head conservator at a large institution stating:

"I am very impressed with your information on foxing. 

I was hoping to find out how you have been successful in removing foxing (and keeping it gone)  from prints that are frames without a tissue.

I have just retreated a very rare print which was treated 10 years ago for foxing. I retreated it successfully by spot bleaching half a year ago and now it has reoccurred".

Ouch!!...............

Don't these people know they are only "curators" of national treasures?? This "conservator" has used "acid" to remove foxing.This will break down the cellulose and the size in the paper and cellular degredation will occur resulting in ultimate disintegration. I guess she will realize when the print is returned with holes where it has been "treated".

I was just going to post that Chris (thumbs u

This gent has quite the resume - reads like a modern-day Dard Hunter:

Paul Tronson - Master Bookbinder

Period Fine Bindings

email: paul@periodfinebindings.com

A Master Bookbinder - restoring antiquarian books, Bibles and objets de virtu to period using original tools and techniques.

An expert at creating and recreating authentic traditional bindings using old materials and ancient formulae. Significant & considerable experience in the restoration of ‘lost’ or ‘fatally’ damaged work from the 10th to 19th Century; vellum, parchment, illuminated manuscripts and scrolls.

A few significant achievements include:

Restoring a rare copy of the 'Holy Alphabet,' (1496) found exposed to the elements in the roof-space of a medieval building. Restoring 16th Century materials to bind the book thereby re-constructing an original binding using original materials.

Rescuing three 12th Century Psalters found submerged in a flooded church crypt, stripping down, re-sizing, full restoration and rebinding to museum presentation condition.

Successfully lifting a 15th Century parchment in Hebrew from it’s mounting on glass, repairing the tears and matching text and illustrations to near original condition.

Hand-making paper to rebuild partly missing plates and pages, knitting fibres together to create invisible repairs, stain removal and restoration of a 1st ed King James Bible resulting in authentic refurbishment to near original condition.

Restored 10th Century Codex to museum condition.

Developed unique formulae from plant extracts for the safe removal of stains such as foxing/mold, ink, crayon, biro, damp/water stains and many more, that do not compromise the fibres of the paper or medium. Sticky tape removal without the use of solvents.

Incunabula and antiquarian books for sale & restoration. Rare books bought, sold and appraised.

This article will partly reveal more of the level Paul works at.

http://www.examiner.com/article/paul-tronson-master-bookbinder

Paul also builds and restores small private investment libraries. The return on investment is around 12.4% per year so It is very important to have an expert in traditional bookbinding look after your treasures.

This quote from the Examiner article especially jumps out:

You may want to take note that all modern bookbinders and conservators greatly reduce the value of rare books by using short term solutions that create long term problems. Modern techniques do not necessarily mean improvement.

CCS doesn't do stuff to paper that isn't recommended (there you go Chris, jump on that statement). I doubt that chemical dry foxing removal is a recommended treatment for old paper. I certainly wouldn't have it done to any books unless and until it were proven safe. But I have seen it done.

CCS doesn't do stuff to paper that isn't recommended (there you go Chris, jump on that statement). I doubt that chemical dry foxing removal is a recommended treatment for old paper. I certainly wouldn't have it done to any books unless and until it were proven safe. But I have seen it done.

(thumbs u

Just stumbled on this, not sure if it was mentioned before? Man those 1197's stick out like a sore thumb:

Link

There are more but not as drastic as this one but they oddly enough all seem to be "short" on the right edge.

Thanks for posting it. It hasn't been mentioned in this thread that I'm aware of, and I've read virtually all of it, and it sure looks like another case to me.

When you say there are more, do you mean in the same auction?