• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

No they are in the regular exchange. The listing comments are classic "'looks like a 9.0 from here. Re-submit?". Natural shrinkage of course! :eyeroll:

How can you tell it isn't just a miswrap?

Because he isn't blind.

Getting back on track.....

Can a 9.0 have this degree of staining?

TTA27CGC75bc.jpg

I guess not..... (shrug)

j9Vo7Vc.jpg

What do you know ... it actually looks like a 9.0.

Sure does. Just didn't know there was a NON-restorative technique to remove stains.

Learn something everyday....

TTA27CGC75bc.jpg

I guess not..... (shrug)

j9Vo7Vc.jpg

Sure does. Just didn't know there was a NON-restorative technique to remove stains.

It looks like someone used something stronger than Wonder bread. :tonofbricks:

TTA27CGC75bc.jpg

I guess not..... (shrug)

j9Vo7Vc.jpg

Imagine IF it was a restorative technique that did remove the foxing! :o I suspect that it isn't but it would be interesting if someone in the industry could shed some light on how this is done?

TTA27CGC75bc.jpg

I guess not..... (shrug)

j9Vo7Vc.jpg

Cleaning does not equal restoration? Interesting... hm

Interesting post from Kenny [Zeman] who I have a ton of respect for. It is dated so techniques may have been improved since then:

It is possible to lessen, or even remove foxing(the spotting at the top of your book) from paper fibers depending on the severity and condition of the paper itself, but it will always garner a restored label since it involves various forms of wet washing.

But there are numerous threads dedicated to dry cleaning a comic on this forum(the dirt/soil/ink all over the rest of your book). Try out your luck with the search function at the top of the page and use key words such as "wonderbread " and the obvious "dry clean"

For the most part, it is not all that difficult to dry clean a cover, just lots of practice.. BUT... because you can cause greater damage by doing it improperly there is always the risk factor in attempting to do so. Be careful and always remember to work away to the outer edge..no back and forth.

And also remember that some do not like dry cleaned covers since only the white areas are normally erased, or worst case scenario inks AND cover gloss are removed during the process if too much elbow grease is used.

Ze-

TTA27CGC75bc.jpg

I guess not..... (shrug)

j9Vo7Vc.jpg

:o

It was probably a manufacturing solvent wash that removed those stains, thus, blue baby blue! :banana:

Interesting post from Kenny [Zeman] who I have a ton of respect for. It is dated so techniques may have been improved since then:

It is possible to lessen, or even remove foxing(the spotting at the top of your book) from paper fibers depending on the severity and condition of the paper itself, but it will always garner a restored label since it involves various forms of wet washing.

But there are numerous threads dedicated to dry cleaning a comic on this forum(the dirt/soil/ink all over the rest of your book). Try out your luck with the search function at the top of the page and use key words such as "wonderbread " and the obvious "dry clean"

For the most part, it is not all that difficult to dry clean a cover, just lots of practice.. BUT... because you can cause greater damage by doing it improperly there is always the risk factor in attempting to do so. Be careful and always remember to work away to the outer edge..no back and forth.

And also remember that some do not like dry cleaned covers since only the white areas are normally erased, or worst case scenario inks AND cover gloss are removed during the process if too much elbow grease is used.

Ze-

From the blog I shared earlier:

The mildew spores will need to be first neutralised, then removed and the paper re-sized using the original formula in manufacture....bearing in mind that if the size is too strong it will render the paper transparent....too weak will render the paper brittle, there is a fine line of 1% you cannot cross over or under........and some papers require a stronger size than others..... it isn't a straight forward operation as you may think, but a precise science...which is why there has never been a formula over the past 250 years. There was one formula in the 19thC using calcium chloride and hydrochloric acid which removed the foxing but broke down the cellulose causing cellular degradation and eventually disintegration.