• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

What did they look like before?

Good question.

Did this book get "the treatment"?

It doesn't look like it was pressed...

Good grief Roy, still trying to defend the work done on these books?

Good grief Peter, I didn't pick up a rock and throw it at the first target! I must be on the dark side!!!

lol

What am I defending?

If a book was damaged through pressing then by all means it should be stopped.

If the book was not damaged by pressing then by all means I think people should stop looking for witches unless they can actually prove it was one.

My question was pretty simple: The Hulk #1 book I referenced looks like it has a Schave treatment - obviously it must, since the interior pages are peeking through to an excessive degree...except the book does not look like it was pressed.

So my question stands: Did the Hulk #1 get 'the treatment'?

My point, if you didn't get it already between mschmidt's question and mine, is that unless you have before or after pics, it's impossible to know if a book got 'the treatment'.

2nd Question: How did the Hulk #1 get such excessive "peek through"?

Excessive? Really?

meh

Wouldn't you need to rule out a spine roll first with a bc scan? Or is that the trap you're trying to set?

Yes, the 1198 series is the next evolution of the 1197 series and were graded after the Schave books. I think there are/were some 1198 books in the latest Pedigree auction too, they don't look like the 1197 abominations though.

I hope Mark follows up as he indicated, I'm still curious what CGC's internal "restoration removal + Grading" process is, and specifically, if a book gets multiple internal review loops and chances to come out blue, or if it's a one-pass deal and then back to the submitter. (shrug)

Put your torch down.

lol

I think if we took a poll in the General forum, 99% of people would agree that the only torch I'd have in my hand would be to light a camp fire and sing songs around!

Of course the best defense is always a strong offense, especially when you can't admit that you might be wrong...or in this case THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED TO THE HULK #1 OR THE FF BOOK WITHOUT MORE INFORMATION BUT REFUSE TO ADMIT IT.

There, that feels better!

To answer your question #2, it was squished to death like these examples that have been provided. The only difference is that the high grade examples have been helped along by this new fangled pressing technique. Mystery solved.

Well that's logical.

I guess it's much easier to assume a book that absolutely does not look pressed was pressed than it is to admit otherwise.

I'll make a mental note of that. It would make a good Saturday Night Live skit.

:facepalm:

Excessive? Really?

meh

Wouldn't you need to rule out a spine roll first with a bc scan? Or is that the trap you're trying to set?

What are you getting bent out of shape for? Is Hyperbole the sole property of those that possess pitchforks? :baiting:

In seriousness, I took a look at the Hulk #1 from top to bottom. The cover nearly touches the right edge at the bottom while it's allowing much more page peek through at the top. That's the definitive "Costanza" look, and I gave it the benefit of the doubt because the book looks cut square based on that right edge but I will agree that it's not conclusive without a back cover scan. It is pretty darn convincing though. If it were rolled I'd expect the exposure of the entire right edge to be equal OR to see some back cover from the FC scan.

Anyone know where that book is from?

Anyone see the Don & Maggie JIM #103 CGC 9.4 in Heritage ?

It shows some worrying and familiar characteristics......... :(

Several of the FFs got the treatment. Not quite as severe as with Cole Schave's books, but still noticeable.

FF8.jpg

Natural shrinkage, Bob. :eyeroll: Also, its a 1198 submission, just one order after the now infamous 1197's. These books resemble squished banana's.

You're missing a couple of digits ... a 1198 submission would be up to 1000 orders apart from a 1197 submission (and no less than 100 orders).

Can we tell what date these were graded?

Certification Information

Certification #: 1198175015

Title: Fantastic Four

Issue: 8

Issue Date: 11/62

Issue Year: 1962

Publisher: Marvel Comics

Grade: 9.4

Pedigree: Don/Maggie Thompson Collection

Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Grade Date: 10/07/2013

Category: Universal

Art Comments: Stan Lee story

Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers cover and art

Key Comments: 1st appearance of the Puppet Master

(Phillip Masters) and Alicia Masters.

Excessive? Really?

meh

What are you getting bent out of shape for? Is Hyperbole the sole property of those that possess pitchforks? :baiting:

In seriousness, I took a look at the Hulk #1 from top to bottom. The cover nearly touches the right edge at the bottom while it's allowing much more page peek through at the top. That's the definitive "Costanza" look, and I gave it the benefit of the doubt because the book looks cut square based on that right edge but I will agree that it's not conclusive without a back cover scan. It is pretty darn convincing though. If it were rolled I'd expect the exposure of the entire right edge to be equal OR to see some back cover from the FC scan.

Heritage. Here's the back cover.

lf_zps7f283822.jpeg

lf_zps7f283822.jpeg

Cool, so no spine roll it looks like.

Thanks! (thumbs u

Excessive? Really?

meh

lf_zps7f283822.jpeg

9.4 :insane: honestly, do they even look at back covers anymore? i stopped counting the stress lines when i needed to take off my second mitten.

This is the IH 1 5.0. Link to HA auction: Was I Costanzed?

Who cares about the mid grade Hulk example? We have had example after example of specific submissions all with the same [fugly] tell tale signs yet you continue to try and throw doubt on the issue like it's "natural" or some regular every day occurrence. Roy have you heard about this river in Eygpt , its called denial. :eyeroll:

Who cares about the mid grade Hulk example? We have had example after example of specific submissions all with the same [fugly] tell tale signs yet you continue to try and throw doubt on the issue like it's "natural" or some regular every day occurrence. Roy have you heard about this river in Eygpt , its called denial. :eyeroll:

Thing is Peter, I'm not denying anything. I'm in full agreement that pressing that harms books should be stopped.

All I'm saying is that when you are dealing with people's personal belongings, it would be respectful to deal with facts and proofs rather than throwing everything under the bus with conjecture and opinion.

You'd expect the same if it were your property people were talking about.

I'm out...for now. :devil: