• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

Who decides who gets the letter or not? Customers who've expressed an interest or requested their comics be pressed in the past?

Letters will be sent to those that can keep their mouths shut.

No offense-but 15 years down the road-they still will not be able to tell wether a book was pressed or sitting under a pile of books for 15 years!

Use common sense people! Back at the beginning again!

None taken. But Goldust gave you a solid answer to your identical comment about a week ago. I agree with him....

YOU: No offense guys, but if you have 100 books in a stack for X number of years, aren't the ones in the middle going to appear to be "pressed"??

GOLDUST: Remember what I said about searching for previous threads on the subject - the differences between a comic being pressed under a stack and being professionally pressed are that the latter is heat and moisture assisted and the pounds per square inch pressure is much, much, greater.

We can only assume-do we really want a third party grading company-whoever they may be-assuming this for us??

I smell a lawsuit! What happens if I send my book in that was not pressed and it comes back pressed noted on the label!

Liability-no grading company will ever take that risk

If I send you books and you consider them pressed-when they are not, I can sue you for slander! Think about it-you just cut the value of my books in half-this is a very serious matter-

no company will take the liability of this issue at this point in time....

can't tell....

I smell a lawsuit! What happens if I send my book in that was not pressed and it comes back pressed noted on the label!

Same thing that happens when you submit an unrestored comic and it gets a PLOD...

Jim

If I send you books and you consider them pressed-when they are not, I can sue you for slander!

Oh really? How are you going to prove they are not pressed? insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Both are judgement calls to a certain extent...in your analogy, CGC is assuming less risk (thus less liability) by saying a comic is pressed as there's no way of proving otherwise and their "expertise and experience" would be the trump card.

Jim

remember-you giving me a label that says they are pressed-how can you prove they are-in a court of law-you are in the wrong insufficiently_thoughtful_person...

sorry-had to-too easy...

Legal Law 101 would help you

I simply want a third party, impartial grading company to stay as far away as possible from anything that even hints at restoration. Otherwise, they are no longer third party, or impartial.

That's what they've been spouting from the beginning.......

HISTORY-WHY ARE WE HERE?

A Proven Standard of Integrity

To best serve the needs of the comics hobby, CGC has made a commitment to meeting or exceeding the market's unique requirements while also applying its management's experience and reputation for integrity in certification. CGC employees are not allowed to engage in the commercial buying or selling of comics. In this way, CGC can remain completely impartial, having no vested interest other than a commitment to serving clients through accurate and consistent grading.

I like this too.....

To Build Interest… in the collecting public whose novice interest can be expanded safely and enjoyably by purchasing certified comics for their collection.

I hope CGC puts a primer on pressing up on their website to help the novice collector get familar with an accepted practice.

Now to answer your other accusation. I don't know what you mean as a shill.

I am a high end high grade collector and I buy most of my CGC graded comics off of Pedigree and Comic Link, as well as eBay. I do run a part time business on eBay and a power seller

Anything else you want to know-just ask-don't accuse

okay guys!

remember-you giving me a label that says they are pressed-how can you prove they are-in a court of law-you are in the wrong insufficiently_thoughtful_person...

sorry-had to-too easy...

Legal Law 101 would help you

How could you prove it isn't? CGC as the "experts in the field" would have a step up on you proving the book isn't pressed...

And I haven't started in on the name calling...yet...you want a full blown flame war or a discussion? I'm more than willing to give you either...

Jim

as a high grade collector, I know others differ from me-luckily they can collect coins, antiques (good luck there if you hate restoration), heck almost anything

good luck to you all on this

but I don't see it at this point in time a major deal and if you ask any of the 20-30 people I brought back into this hobby, who also collect CGC high grade, high end comics-they would agree

awe4one-that post was not directed at you-it was directed at the other poster who called me an "insufficiently_thoughtful_person"

I like and respect all of you guys-really I would like to meet you all in person some day-but we must try to figure all this out as a group-not as seperalists engaging in conflict....