• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 advertisement

68 posts in this topic

If Hulk #180 had already come out with his first appearance, then an ad for Hulk #181 isn't his first appearance - right? Cool - but not as significant as something like the Action #1 ad.

I don't know the dates for sure, but I'm betting 180 still rules as Wolverine's first appearance (unqualified).

I know this argument has been done to death.... but for me a "first" appearance is a "first" appearance period

I didn't know about those books with the Wolvie ads but will pursue them - almost certain I have DD 115

From a British perspective, Judge Dredd's 1st appearance is of course in Prog 2, what isn't generally known is there was a 4 page preview in other comics from IPC the week prior to Prog 1 - it clearly shows Judge Dredd! So in my view is a "first" appearance!

I sold a copy for over £100!

That Action 1 ad is also in More Fun 31, dated May 1938. It's the first time the public ever saw Superman, or any super-hero, really. Given what Action (June) 1 goes for, t think it's the most undervalued comic book that exists.

If Hulk #180 had already come out with his first appearance, then an ad for Hulk #181 isn't his first appearance - right? Cool - but not as significant as something like the Action #1 ad.

But what about a book announcing Daredevil #115? It would be the first apperance of the first apperance of Wolverine in an ad… :insane:

I know this argument has been done to death.... but for me a "first" appearance is a "first" appearance period

I didn't know about those books with the Wolvie ads but will pursue them - almost certain I have DD 115

From a British perspective, Judge Dredd's 1st appearance is of course in Prog 2, what isn't generally known is there was a 4 page preview in other comics from IPC the week prior to Prog 1 - it clearly shows Judge Dredd! So in my view is a "first" appearance!

I sold a copy for over £100!

Aww… Don’t be silly… now everyone will go for the DD #115. :D I suppose you also need Captain Britain v2 #7 for Miracleman, and I might tell you there are rare italian editions of the original Marvel Man from the 1960s (really!).

I don't know the dates for sure, but I'm betting 180 still rules as Wolverine's first appearance (unqualified).

The books featuring the ads - Thor 229, Marvel Premiere 19 and Daredevil 115 - were all November 1974.

Hulk 180 was October 74. So Wolverine had already appeared prior to the ads.

The books featuring the ads - Thor 229, Marvel Premier 19 and Daredevil 115 - were all November 1974.

Thanks for the info. So there we have it, the ads aren't first appearances anyway. As a wolverine and Xmen collector I do find them interesting, though.

The books featuring the ads - Thor 229, Marvel Premier 19 and Daredevil 115 - were all November 1974.

Thanks for the info. So there we have it, the ads aren't first appearances anyway. As a wolverine and Xmen collector I do find them interesting, though.

Assuming you consider 180 to be the 1st Appearance...

You're not suggesting that this house ad is more important than 180, are you?

How can an ad be an appearance but a large, in-story panel not be?

You're not suggesting that this house ad is more important than 180, are you?

How can an ad be an appearance but a large, in-story panel not be?

Right, this confused me as well. I am not sure what he was getting at.

If you consider hulk 181 to be Wolverines first appearance, then you are discounting hulk 180's in story, large panel appearance. How could you then call the ad's for 181 the first appearance? Doesn't make sense.

I do consider 180 to be the first appearance. It came before the ads discussed in this thread. 181 is the more popular book and the one I'd own if I could only have one. I'm not sure that the ads are anything more than a collector's curiosity., especially given that 180 was released before the ads.

Even if the ad was something so relevant (which honestly does not look as such) what would be the point in having all three books, and gather around them an unnecessary interest?

I think it is just cool that the advertisement is in the 3 issues (DD115, Thor 229 and MP19). I wouldn't call it unnecessary interest, rather just a cool subset of collecting, somewhat similar to the price variant books from Marvel. I have no desire to collect the price variants, but am fascinated with the first "appearance" whether an ad or true appearance. I don't mind paying a small premium to pick one up, but wouldn't pay 2 or 3X what similar issues in the run command. 2c

but am fascinated with the first "appearance" whether an ad or true appearance.

But Wolverine already appeared in Hulk 180 before these three issues, even if that appearance is little more than an ad for 181.

but am fascinated with the first "appearance" whether an ad or true appearance.

But Wolverine already appeared in Hulk 180 before these three issues, even if that appearance is little more than an ad for 181.

You are correct. I looked up the 3 ad books and they were printed the same month as 181. They are still cool novelty books, especially for those that can't afford a high grade 181. I still think 180 should be closer in value to the 181, but I appear to be in the minority.