• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help grade ironman And submariner #1

10 posts in this topic

Hi all how does the 50 cent magic marker effect the overall grade on this book. I purchased quite a few comics at my lcs back in 1973 that were all marked in a similar fashion, Are these all worthless because of this?

IRONMANSUBMARINER1.jpg

Submariner #1 looks a little wrinkled, but remarkably limited color breakage, mostly in the lower left. People differ on whether it's restoration but a pressing could really change the look of this book. (I've never done it myself). Corners are probably the most objectionable feature: they look abraded well out of proportion to other aging. Spine looks strong. In the absence of surprises, might give it a 6.5, maybe a 7, depending on seeing the corners better and the condition of the inside paper.

Thanks appreciate the feedback. I really don't have a problem with a light surface cleaning or pressing. I don't see why people look down on these practices because you are really not altering the comic in any form from the day of printing,but If these books were a 9.6 how much would that 50 cent mark bring down the grade?

Thanks again

That 50 cent marking isn't real pretty -- isn't actually legible as "50" ; more like a smudge if you ask me -- but you can tell it was an intentional act of a human being. I like that kind of stuff, whether it's recognized as a pedigree or not. And Overstreet and that tradition of grading says it's acceptable in its grade and shouldn't matter. Bottom line: value is determined by what a buyer will pay for something. So aesthetics come into play (and buyers have a choice because there are a fair number of these floating around). But as time goes by and acid takes its toll, who knows how many will be left in another 30 years. I don't really know how CGC would treat it. I'm going through Heritage past auctions and trying to figure them out.

Want to see some crazy-**s grading? Look up Witching Hour #1 on Heritage past auctions. CGC has graded what for all the world look like mint, 9.9 comics as 9.4 and 9.2. Even the CGC 8.5 Witching Hour looks like a 9.8! You could shave with those covers.

I know it wasn't a popular comic. I know it's not an exciting comic. It's not a particularly attractive comic. It's not an extremely valuable comic. But there was one reason to buy this comic. I know because I was there and I have one. The one reason was to buy a #1 in 1968. You bought it and saved it. This was Mile High storage treatment by the masses in 1968. I'll bet a lot of copies are in great shape. So these comics, lacking everything else, have the raison d'etre of being in great, near mint shape. But look at the CGC census. Not a single WH over 9.6 and only three in that grade. Take a look at Heritage auction copies and ask yourself: What would an issue of this book have to DO to get a 9.8???

Then take a look at the grades some of these key Marvels, bleeding oil through their covers, are getting. Then take a look specifically at Batman #200 in the Heritage past auctions. Look at lot 5899, the 9.4 Batman #200, which looks identical to the photo of Batman #200 sold in lot 7109. This "near mint" book has a dark mark on the lower left spine, big staple tears on the lower staple, what looks like rust or some other crud on the staples, marked discoloration on the top and bottom edges, and "cream" aka tan pages. 9.4? Really?

I should be happy since I have a Batman #200 in better shape than that. But the question arises . . .

Are we grading condition or some je ne sais quoi excitement factor?