• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After 12+ years of collecting I stopped. Now what to do?

12 posts in this topic

Hi. I am new here, but not to comics. I collected comics back in the 80s to 90s and sold that collection. Got back into comics around 2000 and stopped collecting last year. My last Spider-Man comic was Superior Spider-Man #10. The earliest comic that stands in my mind in this collection is the Avengers where Yellow Jacket and Wasp go to Vegas. Think this is just before she died.

Anyhow, now I have approximately 19-20 long comic boxes worth of comics or roughly 8,000 comics (not bagged and boarded). Also have a 200-300 TPBs and hardcovers. Started trying to sort them last year and stopped after I separated into groups of Independents, Marvels and DCs.

Finished sorting the Independents and DCs into respective runs a couple weeks ago. Ended up with 3 long boxes of Independents and 4 long boxes of DC. The amount of time I have spent to get to this point is crazy.

So, now I am left with a dilemma. What to do? Not likely to reread them any time soon, if at all. Definitely not going to bag in board them because the amount of time to do so would be insane and for the most part not worth the effort.

Probably going to keep on plugging away until I get the Marvels sorted, but then I am done.

Thinking about getting rid of them, but part of me wants to hold on to them just in case the comic bug gets me again. Anyone else go through this same thing once or twice? Feel the need to purge, but might have regrets if you do?

Anyhow, thanks for letting me rant. Just taking a break from the madness. Having a few beers and contemplating what to do next.

I went through a big purge a couple years ago. Got rid of all the drek and filler stuff. Narrowed my collection down to just the keys (keys in my opinion and interest) and/or books that hold some nostalgic value for me, and sold the rest. Opened up a bunch of space and significantly focused the books I'm interested in buying (keeps me from buying just cause I feel like it).

My reading is now TPB or digital.

It got to the point for me that I was buying stuff that I really didn't enjoy reading. Incredible Hulk, turned into Incredible Herc and I kept on buying. I would accidentally by the same issue twice because I didn't realize I already had that issue. The variant covers fooled me a few times. I was getting a 35% discount from LCS so I bought a lot of stuff on a whim.

I have a few old comics that I will hold dear, but nothing in the 12 year modern run that I am sentimental about. At least at this moment in time.

Find another hobby? Go fishing, Go to places you've never been to? Talk to strangers, Put in some overtime at work..plenty of things to do besides buy comics all the time. I've been in and out of this hobby since 1989, I've taken plenty of breaks.

The time it would take to bag and board 8000 comics is too daunting to contemplate. Just not going to happen. Probably just finish sorting and take inventory. Set aside stuff I might read again. If I collect moderns again it is definitely going to be more focused. Maybe just buy the tpbs. Haven't read comics online yet, but who knows. Just overwhelmed at the massive amount of comics I have accumulated. I know I read them all, but I don't remember 99% of the stories.

why don't you hold off for a year or two and think about it as my wife is starting to make a stink about taking over half of my comic room for her nefarious purposes and I am going to need to figure out the 10-20 longies I will need to send to a new home because if I have all the boxes on one side my floors will collapse.

I'd say narrow down your collection to what you really enjoy reading. I was into a lot of series last year, but then thought about all the $$$ it was costing every month. I decided to focus just on Superior/Amazing Spider-Man. I've been selling my other series in lots just to make room. So I keep buying monthlies of Amazing, and the other I buy TPBs.

I've never sold a comic book in my life. I know I would have regrets almost right away.

I'm planning on holding out until I reach retirement age and then start to sell them, both to keep me occupied in my advanced age as well as to supplement my income.