• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midtown Comics for New Comic Books?

63 posts in this topic

I just made my 1st mid-town online order. They were nice enough. I asked for everything to be shipped in a box and they put that into my order.

Got my books and most of them were damaged (5 out of 6). We shall see how the return / replacement process goes.

I thought so too and I've been ordering from them for a couple of years with no issues. I have noticed on the last shipment is no longer packaged the same. It used to be packaged between gray foam. They're now using a standard comic book box.

hm I've never gotten gray foam. It's either in the rigid mailer or in a box with huge bubble wrap.

Haven't had any issues with Midtown yet, but wary due to hearing some of the stories. Just received my box of Southern Bastards; on 1st glance all look good looking in bright light, but haven't taken them out of bag to check backs.

Going to start switching to DCBS on future orders.

Haven't had any issues with Midtown yet, but wary due to hearing some of the stories. Just received my box of Southern Bastards; on 1st glance all look good looking in bright light, but haven't taken them out of bag to check backs.

Going to start switching to DCBS on future orders.

The one time I ordered a couple of variants from Midtown, the issues arrived damaged. The books were packed with no protection. I'll never order from Midtown again.

I was told by some boardies I had to "ask" for the books to be packed well because I only ordered a few. Really? Who else but a collector is going to order a $10+ variant? If I just wanted to read the story, I could have saved money and picked up the comics for 1/5th the cost.

I've only ever bought from them once and I've gotta say that ordering books to ship across the boarder is hit and miss on the condition they arrive because of how many places they go before delivery. but the order I got had 9.8 books in it. only 3 books. J Scott Campbell AoU #1 midtown variants and sketches. They all graded well, but it was just one order. soooo.....

I wrote TFAW and Midtown off awhile ago. MCS joined them when they sent me 6.0 comics sold as "NM". My last DCBS order came with one book having a huge tear on the back. This is the first problem I've ever had with them.

Midtown is no good to me, but others seem to not have a problem getting nice books shipped to them.

I received 2 large boxes from them today and good results all the way around. Too many handlers and miles for every book to be perfect in every transaction imo. I would love to buy local but many of the books they get are damaged out of the box or at least by the time they hit the shelves.

I received my first shipment ever from midtown today.

20140506_175320_zpsrxrj8rtr.jpg

Books came in a box (I spent over $100), with some heavy duty bubblewrap, but no cardboard. Comics were placed in a paper bag and wrapped. All comics were in NM or better, especially my ASM 1 variants, which suprisingly had little spine issues and are solid 9.8 candidates.

I have a pull list with Midtown that I probably spend $150-$200 a month on. My comics always come packed just like the picture above, placed into bags and boards and then into a paper bag before being wrapped in gray bubble wrap and put into a box. I have not had a lot of problems getting high grade books. I was once sent the McFarlane cover of WD 100 that looked like it had been flattened after someone had balled it up. I contacted Midtown and they mailed me a new one right away for free. I had that one signed and it came back a 9.6. I am fine with that, not everything is going to be a 9.8. I am sorry for the people that have received damaged comics, I am not sure how this has happened to so many people. I can only think to bring it to Midtown's attention since they replace damaged comics. That might help them to either try to send out better copies or make sure all orders are packed as well as mine come. Good luck to everyone.

And I don't expect 9.8 grades but if one is damaged to the point where it looks like someone crushed the corner an inch long and it's not anywhere near Near Mint then I'd expect the seller to do something. I'll have to shop around and find a good online dealer.

I just received my 25 copies of the ASM col 3 #1 CAMPBELL variant and 8 had crushed corners. They were packed in a box as per the photo above and separated into 2 piles. All of the damaged copies came from one stack. There was wiggle room in the box, so we all know what happened...

I hope they'll refund me on those 8 copies. They average out to 7.0. There's no way I should be paying $20+ per after shipping and customs for books in that shape.

Of the remaining 17 at least 10 are 9.6+.

I've been ordering from Midtown for the past two years. I received two packages (boxed) this week. The first had 39 comics and everything was perfect but one. The one damaged book was a Campbell sketch variant that had a creased back cover from going in the bag/board.

My second package (also boxed) had 14 books and every single one of them had corner/spine damage in the same area. I've always contacted them right away and they've always sent replacements in the past. However, my last inquiry for damaged books was a pretty large order and they made me send them back for replacements. They refunded me the return shipping and sent replacements but some of their books sold out before my package was received. I missed out on a couple books but they did refund the cost of those too.

I feel bad complaining to them but if I'm supposed to be getting NM and they're coming as 8.5 or worse then something is wrong. I really do like their service but it's frustrating to spend $200 a month and receive damaged books. I thought it was just me having problems so it's interesting to see so many others also receiving damaged books.

I find it most frustrating when they sell back issues at various grade levels. When I'm paying for the NM tier, it should be insured that's what I'm getting...

AGREED! They don't have the best judgement when it comes to rating books.

In general, I work right across the street from MIDTOWN COMICS and definitely like the store alot. Decent back issues but the range of Modern Age books crazy good. Even picking up books in person can be a hassle when it comes to trying to find a good copy of a comic. Some days, every single comic in a stack of the same titled comic will have the same damage -- be it on the spine or the corners.

That could be damage from Diamond or MIDTOWN COMICS warehouse in Long Island City. It could even be from the employees. In either case, I have to go to another shop to get that one comic because their set was damaged. I refuse to pay full price for a damaged comic unless its a Gold or Silver Age Key.

If anything, you guys can always ask me to get you a book and I can pick up the best copy for a minor fee. Hit me up! ;)

Ive ordered from all of them online.

The best by far was DCBS. Been ordering from them for years. Now their prices are getting higher now. They used to be a lot cheaper on variants. Never had a book damaged from DCBS and I can understand we don't gurantee NM stance. Guys like Beachbum do that.

Midtown I have had books damaged. Not a lot, but some.

Westerfield has done a great job with packing when I order from them.

Graham Cracker comics has done a good job too, but I think there is some luck there because a couple of packages I think they just got lucky on.