• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Analyzing the Marvel NOW! Relaunches

9 posts in this topic

That's a good article with some interesting reading and data. Thanks for posting it. (thumbs u

good article!i read many of these titles myself but its a shame what these constant series relaunches and variants are doing to the industry but as long as they make money it won't change until the industry collapses on itself again.. meh:blahblah:

I'd love to see marvel speak to this. But I'm sure we'd get the same tired stuff of our research shows that this brings in more readers and lets them know its accessible. :blahblah:

I get that little kids don't understand the numbering thing so much and always want number 1's. Thats how my daughter is but at this rate every book will be a #1.

I get that little kids don't understand the numbering thing so much and always want number 1's. Thats how my daughter is but at this rate every book will be a #1.

So all of a sudden, after decades of comic book numbering, kids today don't understand comic numbering? ???

Sorry Marvel. Calling wildly_fanciful_statement on that rationalization for constantly starting books over at # 1.

That's more of my statement than theirs. Mostly from my experience with my kids, who think the beginning of stories start with #1. I try explaining the numbering stuff to them about ongoings, but in one ear and out the other. But I also don't doubt Alonso coming out saying some mess like that either. Most of the excuses he gives are baseless, especially when compared to the numbers in this article.

It's an excellent article.

One of the more worrying things from the point of view of the industry has to be the fact that, even leaving first issue bumps aside, most of those charts show a steady decline in readership over the past few years.

One might have expected that the recent slew of comic book movies would have halted this, or even increased readership, but from this admittedly small sample size it seems not.

Course, that ignores digital readers, not to mention the rise of independent companies (well, Image anyway!).

It's an excellent article.

One of the more worrying things from the point of view of the industry has to be the fact that, even leaving first issue bumps aside, most of those charts show a steady decline in readership over the past few years.

One might have expected that the recent slew of comic book movies would have halted this, or even increased readership, but from this admittedly small sample size it seems not.

Course, that ignores digital readers, not to mention the rise of independent companies (well, Image anyway!).

This is what I believe. I think that due to there being more variety in the big 2 as well as all the indies, that readership is just spread across more books than before. But I could be way off.