• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the tail wagging the dog?

4 posts in this topic

It use to be a cool comic series had to be around for years if not decades before Hollywood picked up the idea and made a movie or show about it. Now it seems like a bunch of the new books are set to become a movie or tv show within a year of going to print.

Has Hollywood figured out there is -script gold contained in comics or are comics now being written with a tv series / movie in mind? Or have the comic industry noticed books fly off the shelves if a TV series is rumored so they get a project announced to sell books with a good chance the TV series will never see the light of day? Ideas . . thoughts?

Have we established that books fly off the shelves when a movie is announced? Walking Dead is the exception to many rules, but I don't think that's generally the case.

I think subscriptions may increase marginally, but people who don't buy comics normally won't start when movie news hits, they're just not comic people. Comic people, on the other hand, will jump at anything that has the words "movie" or "tv show" attached to it. The lemmings are spending as much money as always, but instead of Wizard Magazine leading them by the nose, they just follow movie news.

Have we established that books fly off the shelves when a movie is announced? Walking Dead is the exception to many rules, but I don't think that's generally the case.

I think subscriptions may increase marginally, but people who don't buy comics normally won't start when movie news hits, they're just not comic people. Comic people, on the other hand, will jump at anything that has the words "movie" or "tv show" attached to it. The lemmings are spending as much money as always, but instead of Wizard Magazine leading them by the nose, they just follow movie news.

There has got to be 10 books in the modern section that are rumored to have a show coming (Clone, Preacher, Raising Rachael, ect) which all seem to sell out the early print runs. Are all those sold out books only being bought by hard core comic collectors?

Based on the success of SHIELD, Arrow, X-Men, Avengers, etc. it makes sense to me Hollywood and TV execs would be looking at this medium as a viable plot golden goose. And now that Hollywood is poking around then it makes sense comic book execs would start pushing projects that could be spun into a show.

There has got to be 10 books in the modern section that are rumored to have a show coming (Clone, Preacher, Raising Rachael, ect) which all seem to sell out the early print runs. Are all those sold out books only being bought by hard core comic collectors?

Based on the success of SHIELD, Arrow, X-Men, Avengers, etc. it makes sense to me Hollywood and TV execs would be looking at this medium as a viable plot golden goose. And now that Hollywood is poking around then it makes sense comic book execs would start pushing projects that could be spun into a show.

lol - i believe the # in the thread that tracks that is close to 100