• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art VS. Comic Collecting...Sacrilege?

68 posts in this topic

A few years ago at the Chicago Con (yes, prior to its purchase by Wizard), I was talking with a few dealers/collectors. One collector mentioned that he had pretty much given up on collecting comics and was focusing on original art. I was surprised by this and thought that I would never go down that road. Recently, I've had a change of heart. I've come to appreciate original published art as one-of-a-king pieces that will never be owned by anyone else unless I sell. Unlike comics, there will never be a higher grade example (and no need for slabbing). I like the artist notes on the margins. Even the white out mistakes can add character to a piece.

Are there others that feel this way?

Yeah, there are about 1,800 of us that feel the same way smile.gif

Come join the club at yahoogroups.com..... comicart-L

But, be forewarned.... it's a BUSY message board with between 50 and 100 messages a day. And it's a fair guess that pretty much all of us art collectors started out as comic book collectors... and then made the transition over time.

Best,

Yeah, there are about 1,800 of us that feel the same way smile.gif

Come join the club at yahoogroups.com..... comicart-L

But, be forewarned.... it's a BUSY message board with between 50 and 100 messages a day.

Personally I opt for the digest delivery. Since I don't post and only use it to track for sale announcements and the like (news more than discussion) that works for me. I only have to check a few emails every day and those that I do check I can just scan the TOC for topics that will likely interest me.

You know, I've been very interested in original art for the last couple of weeks. But I gotta know, where does one buy the art?

Ignoring eBay (where one can buy anything so it answers most "where does one buy" questions) - from the artist or his representative directly, from another collector, from auction houses like Heritage, from comic dealers that sell both art and comics or from dealers that specialize in original art.

You know, I've been very interested in original art for the last couple of weeks. But I gotta know, where does one buy the art?

Ignoring eBay (where one can buy anything so it answers most "where does one buy" questions) - from the artist or his representative directly, from another collector, from auction houses like Heritage, from comic dealers that sell both art and comics or from dealers that specialize in original art.

Well, besides those places. grin.gif

I take it most of this takes place online? Or that google would be the best place to search? Or hell, what would the artist do if you sent him an email asking where to buy his art?

Holy Smokes JWP! You're 'into' everything the past couple of weeks. grin.gif

What artists are you interested in? Perhaps we could link you to the agents/sites.

Don't I know. I'm a mad man. But luckily, I've focused my spending thanks to all of the good feedback I've received here. I now put lots of thought into every purchase, and I've pretty much completely cut out everything that doesn't fit into my master plan.

Plus, I'm selling off some collectibles on ebay that I no longer want, so I'm good....for now.

But as for collectible art, I would only want to collect those artists who I'm also buying their comics (wow, that's a poorly constructed sentence). I'd love to own pretty much any Frank Cho or Adam Hughes art, but I'd also like anything related to Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan, John Carter, etc) and possibly Warlord by Grell.

If I do delve into the world of comic art, I'll be even more picky. At the prices these things cost, I'd only consider those best pieces, and I wouldn't need everything.

Cho art is crazy!

Consider these prices from B'more Comic Con Floor Auction:

John Romita Sr. "Spidey Sketch": $475

John Romita Sr. "MJ Sketch": $500

Frank Cho "Sheena Sketch": $2000

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

(I'm going by memory, so someone may need to correct me. Dam? Foolkiller?)

Cho art is crazy!

Guess I won't be buying any Cho artwork in the near future. I blame the perv art collectors who can't get dates. grin.gif

Cho art is crazy!

Guess I won't be buying any Cho artwork in the near future. I blame the perv art collectors who can't get dates. grin.gif

There's also a supply and demand problem - Cho doesn't sell ANY Brandy or Liberty Meadows artwork.

Hi,

Two websites with lots of original art links (artists, dealers, collectors) are:

comicartlinks.com

dragonberry.com

On the comicartfans.com website, there's an area to search for items for sale. They have linked many different sites together so you can search many different inventories at once. Works pretty well.