• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art VS. Comic Collecting...Sacrilege?

68 posts in this topic

I've struck up a conversation with an artist I interviewed recently (I used to do interviews for a small site called paperbackreader.com and now I do interviews for brokenfrontier.com) and I'm either going to buy a page or possibly the cover or a commission. I like the idea of having original art from those I interview as a way of remembering our talk. Anyway, he showed me a recent commission he did and it was bad [#@$%!!!] so now I'm torn about what to purchase.

I'd like to hear more on what everyone thinks about commissions vs original art pages/covers. What are the pros and cons of each? I know FlComicFan touched on this a little, but I'd like to hear what others think too.

Thanks!

I've struck up a conversation with an artist I interviewed recently (I used to do interviews for a small site called paperbackreader.com and now I do interviews for brokenfrontier.com) and I'm either going to buy a page or possibly the cover or a commission. I like the idea of having original art from those I interview as a way of remembering our talk. Anyway, he showed me a recent commission he did and it was bad [#@$%!!!] so now I'm torn about what to purchase.

I'd like to hear more on what everyone thinks about commissions vs original art pages/covers. What are the pros and cons of each? I know FlComicFan touched on this a little, but I'd like to hear what others think too.

Thanks!

So, far I have only purchased published pages. I usually take the B&W original art page and mount it besides a copy of the color published art. I have an art portfolio book for this. I kind of like the before and after effect. It also seems that published art is more in demand and so can be a better investment if you decide to sell. Additionally, I like trying to find pages from my favorite published storylines. For me that's been mostly DC's Elseworlds and Marvel's What if (with a little Conan and Kelley Jones mixed in).

TLC, is that porfolio just a really nice binder kinda thing? I like that idea. Do you also have some hanging on the walls?

I like the idea of seeing the before and after effect too, so does that mean you cut out the page? Not sure I could bring myself to do that. grin.gif

As for commission vs. pages, I'm still not sure. I really like both ideas. Too bad my wallet doesn't.

I'm going to make my first purchase tonight....wish me luck. smile.gif

James, Good Luck! Let us know what you buy.

By the way, this whole forum has really expanded your collecting horizons, hasn't it? It's an addiction, a sickness. And I get up praising it every day....

thumbsup2.gif

By the way, this whole forum has really expanded your collecting horizons, hasn't it? It's an addiction, a sickness. And I get up praising it every day....

thumbsup2.gif

Just a month ago, all I did was buy moderns right off the stands. Now, I just bought my first slabbed books, I have a list of Bronze books to buy, and I'm about to purchase my first piece of art.

Geesh. I'm easily manipulated.

grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Just a month ago, all I did was buy moderns right off the stands. Now, I just bought my first slabbed books, I have a list of Bronze books to buy, and I'm about to purchase my first piece of art.

Reminds me of the joke about the taxidermist who walks in a bar.

"It's ok boys, he's one of us!"

I've always wanted a Dave Sim Cerebus page. It's really the only major thing I feel is missing from my Cerebus collection. The closest I've come is one of his "First Fifth" prints. But I never managed to save up the $75 when I was a kid and he was selling them through the comic, and now I can't manage to save up the $750 or so they go for online. Someday I will have one of the 6,000, though.

Here's another useful directory of art links.

What I want to do is find a way to collect something original from the writers. I collect the comics of specific writers more often then I do artists, but it's not the same owning a page from a comic a favorite writer wrote.

But I'm with helionaut, I think owning a nice piece of art is a great way to polish of a nice collection of comics from one creator.

I collect the comics of specific writers more often then I do artists, but it's not the same owning a page from a comic a favorite writer wrote.

I don't know about that. One of my major 'wants' is a apge from an Alan Moore book. I don't care if it's Swamp Thing, Miracleman, Watchmen, etc so long as it has the words on it.

Although, most new books have the words digitally added, so I guess that's where you're running into a problem. I'm pretty sure that you can get some "Brubaker Gotham Central" pages from this site: Splash Page art. When I met Mark earlier this year he had some pages and, if I recall correctly, they still had "word ballons" on the pages. Not the same as a -script, but probably the closest thing to it.

That's true. Word bubbles would help make it more meaningful. What'd be really cool would be getting a -script with sketches on it or something to that effect.

I just nailed down my first comic cover art purchase (not in hand yet, obviously). I'd like to post it here, but I don't know where to have it hosted. Anyone have suggestions?

I collect the comics of specific writers more often then I do artists, but it's not the same owning a page from a comic a favorite writer wrote.

I don't know about that. One of my major 'wants' is a apge from an Alan Moore book. I don't care if it's Swamp Thing, Miracleman, Watchmen, etc so long as it has the words on it.

That's one of my favorite things about Transmet pages- sometimes the dialogue is worth the price of admission all by its lonesome.

I love collecting original art as well as vintage comics. I get the same type of rush from finding a comic or cover/page that I can't live without. Check out my (and my partner Steve's) art collection at http://www.metropoliscomics.com/gallery1.html

By the way Ben Smith, my director of marketing just started a great site called gothamcityart.com

His art is affordably priced and his selection is growing every month.

Enjoy-

VZ

PS- I did an interview with two big time art collectors on the Comic Zone if you want to listen-

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/archive.asp?aid=1825

very insightful