• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art VS. Comic Collecting...Sacrilege?

68 posts in this topic

It's an unwritten rule among collectors that if you buy something for a large amount of cash, typically they don't charge for shipping. I know that I've not been charged for shipping on ANY of my over 10K original art purchases. Of course, that means that I haven't bought anything from Heritage at the 10K+ range yet.

I'm in the process of buying something at 15K right now, and shipping, handling and insurance are all included.

Best,

buying art can be a lot more financially damagerous/addictive than comics

because with comics, 99.9% of the time you likely know you'll see the comic again unless we're talking about some rarity, but with art, if you don't get in now, it's likely it will go in a private collection for several years. i go in spurts. really killed my bank account. i'm sticking to cheap comics for a bit.

I recently started buying original art in ernest. I was initially just buying anything I thought looked "cool". Now I only buy Splash and semi splash pages and tend to focus on certain artist/subject matter. It is easy to see how you can break the bank on artwork. Most of the splashes I have bought are in the $300 to $500 dollar range, although I have picked some up for as little as $125. I think if you go slow, pick and choice your battles carefully, you can build a pretty reasonable collection without breaking the bank.

Original comic art in my opinion is much more dynamic than comic books. It can be displayed as art on the wall and is truly valuable because it is one of a kind. I saw this on the net and thought it summed up why art is so cool....

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=6369&si=121