• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does acetate overlay affect the OA underneath?

8 posts in this topic

Hiya, Folks:

I've got a piece of OA with acetate overlay I've considered framing, however, I don't know if the acetate will degrade over time and have an impact on the OA underneath (ie advanced yellowing)?

Does anyone know if its safe to frame the OA with the acetate overlay? (shrug)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Better to remove it.

Moisture can get trapped under the acetate when weather conditions change.

Art that is not under the acetate will age at a different rate.

I've heard some say they like to frame their art in a bag or mylar... Also not a good idea.

Better to remove it.

Moisture can get trapped under the acetate when weather conditions change.

Art that is not under the acetate will age at a different rate.

I've heard some say they like to frame their art in a bag or mylar... Also not a good idea.

I and a lot of other collectors that I know store their art in mylar. Curious as to whether you see a difference between storage in mylar and framing in mylar and why?

Tx

Good question, storage in mylar and framing in mylar are two very different things.

It's safe to store in mylar but works framed can be dangerous.

Weather changes from inside a frame and outside. Just like it can on a car or home window where you may see some fog, but in a frame it's not as drastic a change but still happens. On an oil painting you will see most works have holes in the backing so the painting can breath.

When framing you should not have the glass directly against the art for the same reason. The matting is for decoration and also to keep space between the artwork and the glass for such changes. Art in a mylar in a frame has that same moisture danger, the art needs room to breath.

In a portfolio the changes are more contained then a work framed on a wall.

Good question, storage in mylar and framing in mylar are two very different things.

Weather changes from inside a frame and outside. Just like it can on a car or home window where you may see some fog, but in a frame it's not as drastic a change but still happens. On an oil painting you will see most works have holes in the backing so the painting can breath.

When framing you should not have the glass directly against the art for the same reason. The matting is for decoration and also to keep space between the artwork and the glass for such changes. Art in a mylar in a frame has that same moisture danger, the art needs room to breath.

I agree about glass against art (tsp). However, I'm not able to visualize the difference between a piece of art in mylar that's been framed and one in mylar not framed.

Does a framed piece of art in mylar sit in the frame with no glass on it?

My art (for the most part) in mylar is in a portfolio. That portfolio sits on its side due to the weight of the whole portfolio.

As well, I thought that oil paintings needed to breathe whereas anything else should be as airtight as possible to avoid paper degradation from air pollution etc?

Where do acrylic paintings fit in? For example those Gold Key covers that are painted on thick illustration board but are done in acrylic paints? Should they breathe or not?

I agree about glass against art (tsp). However, I'm not able to visualize the difference between a piece of art in mylar that's been framed and one in mylar not framed.

Does a framed piece of art in mylar sit in the frame with no glass on it?

My art (for the most part) in mylar is in a portfolio. That portfolio sits on its side due to the weight of the whole portfolio.

As well, I thought that oil paintings needed to breathe whereas anything else should be as airtight as possible to avoid paper degradation from air pollution etc?

Where do acrylic paintings fit in? For example those Gold Key covers that are painted on thick illustration board but are done in acrylic paints? Should they breathe or not?

Most acrylics should probably be under glass unless they are varnished. Otherwise the dust will get absorbed into it.

Really curious about the preferences going back and forth regarding framing/storing art in a Mylar. I can't imagine why it'd be a bad idea to do this, since archivally speaking, air-tight Mylar is the way many popular museums go with paper products. Maybe I'm missing something with the framing aspect, but would love to hear some other opinions.