• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need pre-screening info

3 posts in this topic

What's the deal with pre-screening? Can anyone submit books this way? How many books do you have to submit? What's the cost for "rejects"? Is there any additional costs (above the regular grading fee) for books that make the cut? I don't see anything about it on CGC's website, nor on the electronic submittal form I typically use.

Thanks!

I believe anyone can do it, but you will have to team up with someone on your next submission because there is a minimum quantity required to have pre-screens done. I believe the rejects are $3/each and the ones that pass are fine because CGC is making a killing off of your massive submission. Is modern like 500 books minimum? 1,000? Darth knows more about this. tongue.gif

Anyone can send in stuff for pre-screening. Basically you need to send a minimum of 100 moderns or (I think) 50 economy or standards. You specify the minimum grade you will accept. CGC does an initial look at your books and they will reject any they don't think will at least meet your grade. They don't guarantee you will get that grade or higher by the way, but you almost always do.

You will be charged for rejects. You will not be charged any extra for books that pass the pre-screen - it will cost you the same as if you had just sent it in for grading.

CGC prefers that all the books in a submission be pre-screened for the same grade, but they will work with you on that. You should be able to do something like: pre-screen 50 for 9.4 and pre-screen another 50 for 9.6. The paper CGC Submission Form has a box to check for Pre-Screen. I'm not sure if the online submissions affiliates (like Heritage) include the Pre-Screen option. You might check out a few so you can get the 20 percent discount. I'm a CGC affiliate myself but I haven't got my website set up to do submissions yet.

FYI: CGC will take a computer printout (like a spreadsheet) in lieu of their paper submission form. I use a spreadsheet myself when I do submissions. Makes it a lot easier to keep my records. I just model the spreadsheet kind of like the paper submission form and CGC seems to be ok with that. (I asked them about this and they said fine.)

The drawbacks:

It costs you $3 per modern reject.

I think it is $5 for economy and $7 for standard rejects.

It takes a LOT longer. Add at least a month to your turnaround time.

The good things:

It will prevent some NASTY grading surprises and save you a lot of grading fees for books that would be (nearly) worthless in lower grades.

I highly recommend this service if you have a lot of books to get graded. Give the folks at CGC a call. They are nice people and they will work with you and help you with your submission. (They SHOULD be nice! They are going to make a ton of money off you!! grin.gif )