• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrimStarman is listing over $500k in CGC Golden Age on Ebay today!

30 posts in this topic

On some of your auctions (for example):- Star Spangled Comics #8- Avengers #1 (the Mr Steed and Emma Peel version)you did not mention the CGC grade the comic received and theimages are too small to see the grade. You might want to fixthis to avoid having to answer email.But I like answering emails. smile.gifSTAR SPANGLED COMICS #8 CGC 5.5 FN- Off-White to White PagesCGC Grading Comments: 00559990135/1942 - Simon and Kirby cover and art - Origin of TNT and Dan the Dyna-miteStar Spanled Comics #8 for sale on Ebay AVENGERS #1 CGC 9.0 VFNM Off-White pagesCGC Grading Comments: 003968902011/1968 - Northland Pedigree copy (certificate included)John Steed and Emma Peel are The Avengers. TV Photo cover.The Avengers #1 (1968 TV) CGC - Northland Pedigree Scans of both follow ...

starspang8.jpg

Avengers1.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Happy friggin' birthday!

And your books... they're SICK, man! I asked you once before, but I didn't see that you answered:

Is this an original-owner collection? That is, did you buy them all from one person, or did you compile this impossibly excellent stack of books all on your own??

Is this an original-owner collection? That is, did you buy them all from one person, or did you compile this impossibly excellent stack of books all on your own??

This collection was compiled piece meal from one to ten books at a time by me over the last 3 1/2 years entirely through the mail with primarily Ebay purchases, online auction sites, from mail order comic dealers and through other venues like comiclink, etc.

Here's my story ... gossip.gif

I collected mostly Bronze & Silver and Modern age from 1974 (I was 9 years old then) through 1995 and then I dabbled primarily in Golden age until I totaly quit collecting in 1999. Some of my first comics I bought in 1974 were the DC 100 pagers that reprinted many golden age tales. I developed an interest in the old Golden Age Flash, the Spectre, Dr.Fate, Hourman, Starman and others that is with me to this day.

In November of 1997 I discovered Ebay and began selling off my entire comic collection into early 2000. The highlights of my 85,000 piece comic collection were a near complete Marvel collection and many mid-grade GA super hero Fawcetts and DCs at the time. Proceeds from these sales totaled about $200k and when all sales were completed I was left with a mere 8000 mostly modern comics that did not sell. I invested the entire $200k into the stock market in early 2000 just in time to see my investments fail drastically as the bubble burst. I lost about $70k and decided I had learned an expensive lesson. I began thinking investment wise that I should stick with something I know about like old comics.

Then in late 2000 I discovered CGC while surfing Ebay and became a fan again. I slowly started buying GA CGC certified comics with the money I salvaged from the stock market and before long I was buying more CGC certified GA comics than I could pay for and unable to stop charging up my credit cards. It was then that I decided would sell any item in my collection if I could make a reasonable profit. In this way I found I could sell just enough through Ebay, Comiclink and other venues to almost cover my never ending string of new purchaces. This has progressed to the point where now my Golden Age collection has a current Overstreet value of about $500k that I paid a lot for with gains from my comic sales. This has worked out well for me as I always sell my comics for 10-25% more than I paid. My total CGC comic investment is roughly about 75% of guide value as I have been paying guide price and more for a lot of my purchases lately. My favorite title is Flash Comics by the way.

Now as 2004 comes to a close we have a 2nd child on the way and we need to save some cash for a future home purchase. Time to sell a few of my comic babies.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Happy friggin' birthday!

Well I guess now I'm part of the 40 and over crowd.

If I live to be 80 then I'm officialy middle aged.

If I live to be 70 then I'm officialy over the hill.

Anyway you look at it this kinda sucks. 893whatthe.gif

Happy friggin' birthday!

Well I guess now I'm part of the 40 and over crowd.

If I live to be 80 then I'm officialy middle aged.

If I live to be 70 then I'm officialy over the hill.

Anyway you look at it this kinda sucks. 893whatthe.gif

Correct. Actually it completely sucks. wink.gif

<I>To view these (10-day) listings, simply do a Ebay seller search for <b>Grimstarman</b> Now or after 10PM (EST). They will be appearing in alphabetical order starting with Action Comics #4 CGC VF 8.0 and ending late in the evening with Zip Comics #5 CGC NM 9.4. [/i]

Update: With the sale just about half way over there are still many choice items available.

At present 304 of my original 350 CGC certified comic listings are still available for purchase.

The following is still available ... 893whatthe.gif

Flash48r.jpg