• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The New Team

6 posts in this topic

A Giant Size introduction

After attending ECCC last year I really wanted to start reading comics again but with most of mine in storage and not really wanting to handle my best books, I finally broke down and bought a few omnibuses and some digital comics. One of the omnibuses that I bought was the Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1. Containing the first issues of the new X-Men team written by Claremont and drawn by Cockrum and later Byrne. These were my favorite comics as a kid. I think I started reading X-comics in '84 and slowly tried to work my way back to Giant Size X-Men #1. In reading the omnibus, one of the things I'd forgotten was how surly the new X-Men were, particularly Wolverine and Thunderbird. Nevertheless I really enjoyed re-reading those books for the first time in nearly 30 years.

My dad bought me this copy of Giant Size X-Men #1 as a reward for good grades in high school in 1989. I really didn't know how to estimate a grade for a squarebound book. It has that typical wrinkling and the staples have made slight indentations in the cover. I estimated 7.0, so I was close but a little over.

15495.jpg

See more journals by Hepgwyn

Agreed, looks a prime candidate for a press with those creases holding it back. Probably not what you want to hear, but considering the value jump the book would see with higher grade I'd be cracking it open, sending to Joey Post or CCS and then resubmitting. You should maybe scan both sides and share with Hey Buddy, can you spare a grade? section to get an idea of how much a jump you might see.

Also, very jealous; would love this book. Well done.

Awesome book. This is one of the books that I'd take in almost any grade. I have to agree with the other on pressing. As long as it not something you're opposed to. I know pressing bothers some.

A great book, and a "nice problem" to have: keep as is (and maybe preserve more of the 'nostalgic' personal value), or press and reslab (which will certainly increase market value)!