• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dumb Luck

4 posts in this topic

For once I ended up with the variant

I was always more focused on the super hero comics and usually felt out of my depth whenever I took a gamble on one of the weirder line of comics. Sometimes I think I only bought the Vertigo books to look more cool to the older guys that ran the comics store. A few years before I started regularly buying Sandman, Hellblazer and Preacher, I was given a promotional copy of Sandman #8 on one of my many trips to my LCS. I'm pretty sure I never did get around to reading it or the editorial on the front cover. Nevertheless it made into a bag and a box. Many years later when doing an inventory to decide which books to put in storage, I noticed mention of an editorial variant of Sandman #8 in the Overstreet guide. Usually whenever I would see mention of a variant in the guide I always would have the more common type. So I went and cracked open my copy and you guessed it a Karen Berger editorial variant. Sadly the comic had been in one of those promotional displays in the store and had picked up a few minor creases, perhaps they might some day be pressed out. I graded it at a 9.2, so I was happy with what I got.

15498.jpg

See more journals by Hepgwyn

Thanks for posting those links. I didn't realize that it was isolated to just two stores. Comix Experience in SF was my LCS at the time and I did attend a Neil Gaiman signing. Thanks for helping explain why I ended up with one of these.