• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can anyone explain what these are?

15 posts in this topic

Heres an Ebay seller of "original" production materials. Many of his items are hand colored coloring notes, and other legit items. But this piece, and a bunch more just don't add up for me..

He says they are "production originals"… but his color images don't match the actual covers, the greytones don't look like what progressive proofs would because they are greytone images of ALL the color plates.

Could these be actual production materials for some reprints Marvel did at some point? They look recolored more simply than the originals as if done on a tight budget as "good enough" years later

btw, I asked him a question and never saw a response. And tried again just now but Ebay says I can't contact the seller. (Can you block questions?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-Kirby-X-men-8-Rare-Large-Production-Art-Cover-/121345155179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c40bc206b

I have no idea what that is. But if you add someone to your blocked bidder list they cant ask questions either. So I assume you've been blocked.

There is one line in the auction description that stands out for me:

"The Auction Is For One Large Seperate Transparency Only, "

That is what you will get.

"Pages listed are either from graphic novels, reprints, or newer printings."

Couldn't something like that be printed "on demand" if they have the plate?

There is one line in the auction description that stands out for me:

"The Auction Is For One Large Seperate Transparency Only, "

That is what you will get.

"Pages listed are either from graphic novels, reprints, or newer printings."

Couldn't something like that be printed "on demand" if they have the plate?

Plates are one time use only. The can however remake another plate. Just need the file. It's all computer to plate now, they don't use film anymore.

I've been told these are easy to reproduce, and most sold are in fact reproductions. They do make great display pieces in some cases.

That's what it looks like, The page is a bit "too clean" to be the original one that was actually used for camera/coloring work

Could these be actual production materials for some reprints Marvel did at some point? They look recolored more simply than the originals as if done on a tight budget as "good enough" years later

That's my guess too. Maybe this is one of the full-page cover reproductions in the first Marvel Masterworks X-Men volume?

Here's a link to the X-Men #3 in that volume -- at a glance, the coloring and reproduction quality looks pretty similar to me.

http://marvel.com/comics/collection/1119/marvel_masterworks_the_x-men_vol_1_hardcover

real printers proof are actual printed size, not oversized or actual ARTWORK size. You are given them to "proof" the quality, at actual print size.

and they are either of the black line work, or the separated ink plates. These are just b/w scans of something.

I didnt see the mention of "from reprints etc" which adds credibility. But the actual product he is selling can also be (and probably is) just another printout. He explains that due to Auctiva it may "appear" that he has sold the same piece before…

uh huh….. right