• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Millar's 'Kingsman: Secret Service' (in theaters 2/13/15)

155 posts in this topic

Saw it Thursday night, and I thought it was really entertaining. Great popcorn flick. You can tell Colin Firth and Samuel L Jackson were having fun with their roles.

Sure, some over-the-top scenes. But they made light of it. I liked Wanted just a tad better.

On my scale rating scale...I'm giving it more of a RENT. With a slight slant towards THEATER.

:news:WITH SPOILERS :news:

CBM: KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE Movie Review

These two made me feel good about this movie.

----------------------

The Story

Based on Millar's highly acclaimed source material, Kingsman's main plot line can only be described as 'borderline ridiculous'. It's wild, extravagant and, at times, outrageously violent, yet this light-hearted take on the spy genre thankfully still goes down a treat. The -script, co-written by Vaughn and his long-time writing partner, Jane Goldman, expertly blends the tongue-in-cheek theatricality of classic Bond movies with the high-octane thrills of the modern day blockbuster to deliver an enjoyable parody of both genres.

That's not to say the film doesn't possess it's own unique merits though. One of the most interesting themes throughout is the juxtaposition between it's two leads. One is an upper class 'English gentleman', the other, a working class boy, who hails from a much tougher background. Not content with simply hiding behind stereotypes, Vaughn's film moves beyond the class divide. It's the emphasis on the similarities that this unlikely duo share that helps forge a powerful and memorable bond between mentor & protégé.

----------------------

Direction & Tone

Matthew Vaughn has to be one of the most talented and diverse directors working in Hollywood today. Having already built up a fantastic repertoire when it comes to CBMs, he can now add another success story to his very impressive filmography. While the movie does go a little over-the-top in the last fifteen minutes, Vaughn's unique blend of insanity and light-hearted humour helps make The Secret Service one of the most entertaining action comedies in recent years.

----------------------

----------------------

The Verdict

Stylish, brutal and unapologetically 'over-the-top', Kingsman boasts one of the most wildly entertaining adventures of the year. It may get a little too gimmicky at times, but that's all such a big part of its inherent charm as a throwback to the old-school spy classics.

4/5 Stars

----------------------

:wishluck:

I saw it a couple of weeks back and would give it 5/10. It's a film of two halves.

The "my fair lady" aspect, chav turned English gentleman, is entertaining, as are the scenes where they are narrowing down the applicants to become the "kingsman".

The Colin Firth character though is too derivative of John Steed and the 1960's Avengers tv series (though not as good) and Colin Firth kicking spoon like a ninja is ridiculous.

By far my biggest criticism is the level of violence though, which is sickening at times and doesn't sit well in the tone of the film which is otherwise comedic.

Matthew Vaughn On Leaving 'X-Men' And 'Kingsman' Sequel

---------------------

So while I was waiting for [simon] Kinberg to write his -script, I sat with Jane [Goldman] and just banged this one. It just fell out of me. So then I had "Kingsman." I thought, , well I have this. And literally the same week Kinberg said, "I'm done." Then in comes "X-Men: Days of Future Past." It was like, , what do I do? I like both of these.

---------------------

LATINO REVIEW: Kingsman: The Secret Service Film Review

-------------------

The film also benefits from a pull no punches attitude, exemplified by the fact that no character, be they our leads or fictionalized versions of heads of state, is safe from death as they might be in a more formulaic film. I'd chalk that up to the source material written by Mark Millar, who is known for other far out works, such as "Kick-Azz". As in that film, the violence in "Kingsman" is considerable and pushes the R rating to its limit. My only real complaint about the film is that at times its visual effects are not that well done or believable. The many digitally achieved blood and gore gags are not quite up to snuff, especially in a film of this size and budget.

Barring that minor quibble, the "Kingsman" is a quite enjoyable action film and possibly the start of a new franchise. There are many exciting places to go from the end of the film, and I'm looking forward to seeing the further adventures of the newly minted spy Eggsy on the big screen.

-------------------