• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Etiquette on Making Offers

89 posts in this topic

I know this is a tricky question, but when you're interested in a book but the asking price is both much higher than what you want to pay and much higher than other sales for the same book/grade, when do you make an offer and how much below the asking price are you comfortable going?

I'll never criticize anyone for asking whatever they want to for a book - it's their property and they can sell it on their own terms. But if someone is asking, say, $4000 for a book that consistently (and very recently) sells at $3000, do you offer $3000 or are you concerned that you're going to offend the seller by coming in so much lower than his ask? Do you start instead by asking "Do you have any room to come down from that?"

Where do you draw the line on simply passing completely? Say someone has a non-key bronze age book in a high grade slab. You'd be comfortable offering $200. They're asking $800, a price that's way out of line with the raw price (say it's $125), but perhaps they're trying to justify it by saying it's the only slabbed copy in that grade (which is probably because nobody else thinks the book is worth slabbing). Do you even bother to make an offer or just pass on it altogether?

If someone gets offended cause you're not drinking their Kool Aid screw em.

On a book worth $3000 I'd start offer at $2000

That's the whole point of bargaining.

I'll make an offer.

I think the key to making an offer is do provide a reason why you chose that price. Don't just throw a number out there, tell the seller why you are offering to pay that amount. Give them some data to back up your offer like recent sales on ebay or GPA pricing (I usually never give out the GPA value, I will say it is "around" or "in line" with their pricing.)

If the seller is selling the item above what it's current worth is, I will point this out with any of the above data. If they come down, great. If they don't, I walk away.

Yes, a seller can sell the item for whatever they want to sell it for, it's their item. But that item is not worth anything until someone actually buys it.

I'll make an offer.

I think the key to making an offer is do provide a reason why you chose that price. Don't just throw a number out there, tell the seller why you are offering to pay that amount. Give them some data to back up your offer like recent sales on ebay or GPA pricing (I usually never give out the GPA value, I will say it is "around" or "in line" with their pricing.)

If the seller is selling the item above what it's current worth is, I will point this out with any of the above data. If they come down, great. If they don't, I walk away.

Yes, a seller can sell the item for whatever they want to sell it for, it's their item. But that item is not worth anything until someone actually buys it.

Yep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDER-MAN-ORIGINAL-ART-VINNY-ROMITA-SIGNED-BY-JOHN-ROMITA-SR-JR-STAN-LEE-/370691265517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564eebd3ed

Example:

TWD #19 raw NM

Asking for $299

Avg Selling Price - $255 + shipping

I would offer close to the avg selling price (+/- 2.5%) maybe slightly lower to cover shipping. If shipping is a total rip off, I will offer less; but no way I will pay more than avg selling price.

As a buyer, I want my comics to be easily liquidated without loosing a penny. If I break even later on, I will be happy! No point on gouging fellow comic book geeks.

I always keep it polite. I generally start by asking if they have room on price.

If the answer is no, then you've done yourself and them a favor.

If the answer is yes, then I'd make an offer with a reasonable explanation as to why.

Most people are reasonable, but once in a while you'll talk to someone who isn't. If they become nerdturds with an attitude I just say no thanks and walk away.

If you always ask close to ave selling price you miss out on the occasional bargain. Like, serious bargain sometimes.

I'll make an offer.

Yep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDER-MAN-ORIGINAL-ART-VINNY-ROMITA-SIGNED-BY-JOHN-ROMITA-SR-JR-STAN-LEE-/370691265517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564eebd3ed

That is spoonin' hilarious! Perfect example of that sentence Kav!

:golfclap:

I'll make an offer.

Yep:

This guy is so deluded it's mind boggling. Romita-Romita-Lee signed pieces go for around $200-$300. He thinks the additional sig of a little kid whops the price up to 18K.

Some people....

And I would keep in mind that it is possible that someone will be willing to pay a higher price than you for the book.

Different markets.

I'll make an offer.

Yep:

This guy is so deluded it's mind boggling. Romita-Romita-Lee signed pieces go for around $200-$300. He thinks the additional sig of a little kid whops the price up to 18K.

Some people....

Let's all throw in an offer - $200 and hopefully the owner realizes the actual value of that piece

Honestly, highballing is as bad as lowballing. I don't even waste my time if the price is ridiculously high.

I use a 20% rule...

A book selling for an average of $1,000 I'll only start negotiating if it's listed at $1,200 max.

Within that range there are various things you can do to close the gap...buying other issues from them, negotiate PayPal fees, negotiate Ebay fees, negotiate shipping, trading...etc.

I'll make an offer.

Yep:

Some people....

Let's all throw in an offer - $200 and hopefully the owner realizes the actual value of that piece

He has it set to automatically turn down any rational offer. I'm guessing his cut-off point is 14K. He might be able to let it go for that.

The guy sells a lot of original art and really should know better. He's got 'suckeritis' I guess. At least ebay gets 30 c a month now for this waste of space...

I'll make an offer.

Yep:

Some people....

He has it set to automatically turn down any rational offer. I'm guessing his cut-off point is 14K. He might be able to let it go for that.

The guy sells a lot of original art and really should know better. He's got 'suckeritis' I guess. At least ebay gets 30 c a month now for this waste of space...

Yeah... my $200 is auto declined lol

If a guy is trying to sell a $500 book for $1500, I'm pretty sure he won't accept my $350 offer, so why waste my time offering it. Its not that I worry about offending him., its I don't want to waste my time.

I'll make an offer.

Yep:

While that is clearly a bit ridiculous, it is a pretty cool piece.

One thing that gets me is that John Romita Jr. signed is full name. I have a few SS books he signed and he just did them JRJR.

I'll make an offer.

Yep:

Some people....

Youd pay 200 for that?? :o