• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Walking Dead and Chew keep their value?

63 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So no one answered this question. Should I buy a 9.6 cgc since a 9.8 is very very expensive or it is not worth it and only the 9.8 will really continue to grow in great value?

Thanks

WD 1 will only stay Under 2k for the time being

Chew #1 is steadily rising back up. I've been buying chew since the beginning of the year. I've watched a raw # 1 go from $180 to $280. Once the animation hits, it'll boost the 9.8 past $1k, and settle around $800.

That's what I think

Wow! wanna sell one of those badboys?

Not the 9.8s. I'll have a 9.4 available if I don't press it.

Maybe I should take a pic. hm

I prefer the other pics on your link. ;)

Hey guys,

So no one answered this question. Should I buy a 9.6 cgc since a 9.8 is very very expensive or it is not worth it and only the 9.8 will really continue to grow in great value?

Thanks

WD 1 will only stay Under 2k for the time being

Chew #1 is steadily rising back up. I've been buying chew since the beginning of the year. I've watched a raw # 1 go from $180 to $280. Once the animation hits, it'll boost the 9.8 past $1k, and settle around $800.

That's what I think

Wow! wanna sell one of those badboys?

Not the 9.8s. I'll have a 9.4 available if I don't press it.

Maybe I should take a pic. hm

I prefer the other pics on your link. ;)

I thought I was the only one who saw those

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

I think Walking Dead is bigger than all of those, but, of course, it is only my subjective opinion.

too soon to say but it definitely has the potential. even after the show has concluded, Netflix can keep the mojo flowing for new audiences.

worst thing that could happen is end the show like how LOST ended theirs.

i'm confident that Kirkman will not drop the ball.

Walking Dead is a pop cultural phenom that we haven't seen since Star Wars.

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

All I know is that most southerners don't care for the above or Sci Fi in general. They do however love The Walking Dead

I disagree and I've lived in 2 southern states. What makes you think this ?

I agree. That is your typical board logic at work there.

Most people in Arizona don't care about Sci Fi either, but we love The Sixth Gun.

:insane:

Walking Dead is a true phenomena. It's bigger that Turtles ever was. If you have gone to at least a few large conventions over the past couple years you can see it everywhere. The title has lasted for 10 years, and it only seems to have gotten bigger. The TV show has more viewers every season with almost 16 million on the last finale. Another show is in the works.

When the Walking Dead has 18 years of TV, 3 movies, toys, underwear, snacks, cereal, etc. I'll agree with you that it is AS BIG AS the TMNTs. Not only do the TMNTs still have a cartoon on TV, the Turtles are even getting another live action movie this year, 30 years after they were created and 21 years after the last movie. The Walking Dead is huge, is extremely popular, but it hasn't come close to achieving TMNT status, yet.

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

I think Walking Dead is bigger than all of those, but, of course, it is only my subjective opinion.

too soon to say but it definitely has the potential. even after the show has concluded, Netflix can keep the mojo flowing for new audiences.

worst thing that could happen is end the show like how LOST ended theirs.

i'm confident that Kirkman will not drop the ball.

It doesn't matter how the show ends, when it ends, the Walking Dead will continue on, but will have a lower enthusiasm and fervor from its fans and viewers. Remember when the rebooted Battlestar Galactica was a huge Sci Fi phenomena? Now there is talk about going back to the original series for inspiration for the upcoming movie. The biggest reason IMHO, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica didn't have the broad merchandising opportunities of the original series, just like the Walking Dead has limited merchandising opportunities. A property like TMNTs has a bigger reach, because you can have toys, cereal, snacks, underwear, etc. and reach children and adults. Ditto for Star Trek. I think Harry Potter had limited merchandising opportunities, but definitely better than the Walking Dead.

I think the Walking Dead will take the Buffy the Vampire Slayer path. The TV show will end and the comic continues under the stewardship of the original writer. And honestly, that's just fine. I don't see the Walking Dead losing much value and there is still an opportunity for higher values. I feel we are in the middle of its TV series run and there is still another 3 or 4 years left for this property on TV.

Chew on the other hand has extremely limited opportunities. The series is finite and we are heading to the end. Cerebus comes to mind here. Ditto for Y: The Last Man or other popular series that are over. One day, this series will be out of sight and out of mind and nobody will really care about the back issues. Sure, prices may stabilize at a higher values that its peers, but the ability for the values to keep going up are going to be limited.

This is why the superhero books command big numbers. These characters has proven their longevity and continue to bring in new fans generation after generation. It is yet to be seen if the Walking Dead can do that and I honestly feel like Chew is on another (lower) level entirely. TMNT at 30 years and Star Trek at 48 years have proven resilient. Harry Potter is our generations Wizard of Oz.

I feel like the price of a WD1 CGC 9.8 has gone up since late 2013, early 2014.

I came close to pulling the trigger twice on nice looking 9.6s near $1000 last year, and now they are commanding $1250 or so.

9.8s spent some time around 1800, but now are back to 2000+ it seems.

I was curious if they would be cheaper in he off season... nope.

I feel like the price of a WD1 CGC 9.8 has gone up since late 2013, early 2014.

I came close to pulling the trigger twice on nice looking 9.6s near $1000 last year, and now they are commanding $1250 or so.

9.8s spent some time around 1800, but now are back to 2000+ it seems.

I was curious if they would be cheaper in he off season... nope.

You could of gotten a 9.8 for around $1700 last week, here on the boards.

To be fair I think all comics in general will go down I value.

Does anyone think there will be people collecting non key Silverage in the next 20 years?

why do Silver Age "Keys" get a pass?

Because everybody has to have a 1st appearance of Mekano X-Men_Vol_1_36.jpg

To be fair I think all comics in general will go down I value.

Does anyone think there will be people collecting non key Silverage in the next 20 years?

Fair question. In 20 years, I will be closing in 70 and will probably not care. Then again, I will be able to magnify everything so maybe I'll be reading North of South. :grin:

Walking Dead is a true phenomena. It's bigger that Turtles ever was. If you have gone to at least a few large conventions over the past couple years you can see it everywhere. The title has lasted for 10 years, and it only seems to have gotten bigger. The TV show has more viewers every season with almost 16 million on the last finale. Another show is in the works.

When the Walking Dead has 18 years of TV, 3 movies, toys, underwear, snacks, cereal, etc. I'll agree with you that it is AS BIG AS the TMNTs. Not only do the TMNTs still have a cartoon on TV, the Turtles are even getting another live action movie this year, 30 years after they were created and 21 years after the last movie. The Walking Dead is huge, is extremely popular, but it hasn't come close to achieving TMNT status, yet.

I thought we were talking about comics? (shrug)