• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best place to Preorder the new HB Overstreet

82 posts in this topic

I'm sorry to say that it is extremely unlikely that we can fit the market reports into the BB edition without cutting listings. We've reached maximum possible page count for the binding we're using, and we are very limited as to options at this point. Shame, but there it is.

Arnold

I know my local phone book has more pages than the Overstreet guide. I am sure there must be a solution.

If you guys think that gaining a fuller understanding of the history of the medium by examining the Victorian and Platinum Ages is wasted space, you're going to *love* what's coming in the next edition. smile.gif

Arnold

You're going to go right back to comics' roots and examine the Neolithic Age?

Too late, I'm letting the cat out of the bag news.gif

OPG Special Coverage Of KEY TABLETS containing the FIRST APPEARANCE of the Ten Commandments!

ten_commandments.jpg

Note that there would have been a third tablet but for a limitation at the engravers....

poke2.gif

I'm sorry to say that it is extremely unlikely that we can fit the market reports into the BB edition without cutting listings. We've reached maximum possible page count for the binding we're using, and we are very limited as to options at this point. Shame, but there it is.

Arnold

Just send it to CGC and get it pressed.

As I've already said, there is no alternative for the specific spiral-type binding we're using. There are no plans to abandon the spiral binding, so we have to work within those limitations as defined by our printer.

You could just do away with the ads and replace them with all the reports, sell those copies to us retailers, dealers and other professionals and print up a versions with the ads to distribute to the other market areas like Coles, Waldens, Borders Amazon ect.

Just an Idea

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

As I've already said, there is no alternative for the specific spiral-type binding we're using. There are no plans to abandon the spiral binding, so we have to work within those limitations as defined by our printer.

You could just do away with the ads and replace them with all the reports, sell those copies to us retailers, dealers and other professionals and print up a versions with the ads to distribute to the other market areas like Coles, Waldens, Borders Amazon ect.

Just an Idea

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What a great idea Stromm. Gemstone could do away with the ads, which is how they make their money. Sheer genius. Then they could sell the Price guide for $400 each to compensate for the omitted ads.

thumbsup2.gif

Does anyone have a picture of this spiral bound book? I have purchased the softcover overstreet the last two years. I have been looking for a normal hardbound copy of Overstreet. Is that something that is offered? If you are using spiral binding like I am thinking I know the page count can't go too high because of the limitations with spiral binding (i.e. the more pages the biggers the spirals to bind the book).

Can somebody call Spacely Sprockets and get them to make a bigger coil. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Arnold, seriously your a publishing company, are you telling me that the printer will not manufacture something to meet your needs as a customer, or is it the utility in units sold does not make it worth the extra productions costs associated with the larger coil used to bind the BBG? Just give me a straight answer, I mean we can send someone to the moon but we can't produce a bigger ring for a spiral bound book insane.gif

As a customer I'm giving you honest feedback, I love the BBG, it lays flat and is a useful resource. I understand the necessity of keeping the ads and the listings, I just want as close to the same version as the glue bound version. I pay more for the BBG I have no problem doing so, its when you start eliminating content that I ask myself why. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't care what format it's in, I just wish that the Golden Age pricing would be fixed. Why is it that some books are STILL undervalued or overvalued by 3x - 5x guide? That simply shouldn't happen if you do research on actual sales.

Hey Arnold, stop trolling the boards and get to work!

Yes we're a publishing company, and like all publishing companies we're bound by the laws of physics. Going to a larger spiral, if they even offered such an option, would make the book ridiculously impractical and it would no longer be useful. The whole point is that we don't *want* to eliminate any content. The purpose of the Big edition was so that people had the option of looking up pricing with a font size and format that was easier on the eye and easier to lay flat at a convention or wherever. If you want the extensive editorial material as well - and I'm all for people reading our reports and articles - you just have to pick up a regular edition as well. If we try to cram in all of the editorial on top of pricing in the Big version, we'd have to shrink font size, which again makes the whole point of the book useless.

I think that covers everything. Now someone was telling me to get back to work...? smile.gif

Arnold

Yes we're a publishing company, and like all publishing companies we're bound by the laws of physics. Going to a larger spiral, if they even offered such an option, would make the book ridiculously impractical and it would no longer be useful. The whole point is that we don't *want* to eliminate any content. The purpose of the Big edition was so that people had the option of looking up pricing with a font size and format that was easier on the eye and easier to lay flat at a convention or wherever. If you want the extensive editorial material as well - and I'm all for people reading our reports and articles - you just have to pick up a regular edition as well. If we try to cram in all of the editorial on top of pricing in the Big version, we'd have to shrink font size, which again makes the whole point of the book useless.

I think that covers everything. Now someone was telling me to get back to work...? smile.gif

Arnold

Well, you could get rid of the self-serving, pompous [#@$%!!!] that Bob Beehrbohm puts in there every single year, that's a start. Beehrbohm wrote 50 pages in the 2004 Guide. In that report, the words "Amazing Spider-Man," "Archie," "Batman" (as a comic), "Fantastic Four," "Superman" (as a comic), or "X-Men" do not appear. They show up in pictures, but thhey DO NOT APPEAR in the article. What DOES appear are the books that Beehrbohm has piles of in his warehouse. mad.gif Al Stoltz was 100% correct when he called Beehrbohm out on this.

Then, you could get rid of the useless price guide on Victorian and Platinum Age books that do not have a market (and anyone who says they do is either full of [#@$%!!!], lying, or deluded). Finally, you could get rid of the Big Little Book section, seeing as THEY AREN'T COMIC BOOKS (if you have Big Little Books, why don't you have Little Golden Books? The first appearance of Chip and Dale and Little Lulu are in Golden Books, but I digress.)

But of course this won't happen. sign-rantpost.gif

Amazon.com has the paperback edition available for pre-order at $16.50. That is 34% off the retail price of $25. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=books&n=507846

Special note: I do not get any commission off the above link. I am just providing it as a service to my fellow comic fans.

The only bad part about pre-ordering is that Amazon.com says the book does not come out until May 10, 2005. That is a long time to wait.

I don't know if Gemstone does direct sales from their website, but if they did, they could include a discount coupon for the regular version of the Guide in every copy of the spiralbound that they ship out; that way the BSDs & hardcore people might find it more palatable to just buy both copies.

I'll tell you a good way to get some space back into the Guide: take every piece-of-ake little comic from the 80s & 90s worth cover price or less and list them alphabetically in the back of the book w/ incredibly small type under a heading that goes, 'These space-clogging pieces of [#@$%!!!] are worth about a nickel each, if that:'. If/when any of them become breakouts, that title can return to the regular listing.

And, yeah, as far as I'm concerned the BLB, Victorian, & Platinum listings are just taking up space. makepoint.gif

Gotcha. Cut out all the historical sections that provide a wealth of research and information about the rich past of the comic character universe for the many who actually do like to read about it, then remove all listings from the Modern Age that rub some people the wrong way. Oh, and I'll also take out any comic that has the letter Q or W in the title because those letters always annoy me, and any comic that was released on the second Wednesday of a month because nobody will notice that either. Done and done! Hey, we solved it. Woohoo!

wink.gif

Gotcha. Cut out all the historical sections that provide a wealth of research and information about the rich past of the comic character universe for the many who actually do like to read about it, then remove all listings from the Modern Age that rub some people the wrong way. Oh, and I'll also take out any comic that has the letter Q or W in the title because those letters always annoy me, and any comic that was released on the second Wednesday of a month because nobody will notice that either. Done and done! Hey, we solved it. Woohoo!

wink.gif

No. Take out the section written by Bob Beehrbohm that only serves to promote HIS SALES. The 60 page article about the Victorian and Platinum ages as "the History of Comic Books" does not address what 99% of the comic book collecting community is buying. When the article about "The History of Comic Books in America" does not mention Superman, Batman or Spider-Man by name , it is NOT providing "a wealth of research and information about the rich past of the comic character universe." sign-rantpost.gif