• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best place to Preorder the new HB Overstreet

82 posts in this topic

"When the article about "The History of Comic Books in America" does not mention Superman, Batman or Spider-Man by name , it is NOT providing "a wealth of research and information about the rich past of the comic character universe."

Wait a minute - are you saying that an article that doesn't mention three specific superhero characters can't possibly be dealing with the "rich past of the comic character universe?" Would you like me to list the hundreds, even thousands of other characters who are *not* Superman, Batman or Spider-Man who had a role to play in American comics? Or are we succumbing to the mainstream press bias that insists only superheroes - and only famous ones with multiple movies to their credit - count and the entire history of American comics can be expressed with a couple capes and a spider suit?

I might be overstating it, and I hope I'm wrong that this is what you're implying, but if that's the case, this is a shockingly narrow view on an entire medium, isn't it? Personal pet peeve of mine, sorry. :/

"When the article about "The History of Comic Books in America" does not mention Superman, Batman or Spider-Man by name , it is NOT providing "a wealth of research and information about the rich past of the comic character universe."

Wait a minute - are you saying that an article that doesn't mention three specific superhero characters can't possibly be dealing with the "rich past of the comic character universe?" Would you like me to list the hundreds, even thousands of other characters who are *not* Superman, Batman or Spider-Man who had a role to play in American comics? Or are we succumbing to the mainstream press bias that insists only superheroes - and only famous ones with multiple movies to their credit - count and the entire history of American comics can be expressed with a couple capes and a spider suit?

I might be overstating it, and I hope I'm wrong that this is what you're implying, but if that's the case, this is a shockingly narrow view on an entire medium, isn't it? Personal pet peeve of mine, sorry. :/

You cannot write an article about the history of American comics and not mention those three heroes. He also doesn't mention Tarzan, or Mickey Mouse, or Donald Duck, or any other mainstream comic book hero.

What you are espousing is a shockingly elitist Comics Journal view on the entire medium. Superman, Batman and Spider-Man are the most important creations in the history of comics, from several viewpoints, not all of them creative. The entire industry is founded upon the explosive success of Superman.

It is NOT mainstream press bias to insist that the creation of Superman was a seminal point in the history of comics, and needs more than a passing mention in a 65 page article. His article also doesn't mention anything about the direct sales market, the rise of non-returnable comics and the explosion of comics as a pop culture phenomenon since the mid-60s. What he does cover, in depth, are "comics" that he has cornered a market on and is selling.

As someone who has written countless articles about superheroes and loves Spider-Man more than anything else (classic Spider-Man specifically), I certainly understand what you're talking about. But I think you'll find when you read all of the historical information in the Guide and our other publications that we provide plenty of pointed analysis and research on all aspects of comic book history. Taking some time to talk about something *other* than superheroes in exploring the earlier history of comics does *not* exclude or lessen the superhero genre's impact, but rather gives more of a spotlight to the countless other characters and creators who shaped the industry and formats that gave the superheroes their home in the first place and enabled them to blossom into the amazing array of imaginative sagas we have today.

And by the way, while Mr. Beerbohm is an Advisor and contributor in his own right, you might want to look at the lists of collectors noted at the start of the Victorian and Platinum Ages. Names like Alfredo Castelli, Leonardo De Sa, Randy Scott, our own Tom Gordon, etc. etc. There are a lot more people both interested in reading and expanding our understanding of this era than you think. And of course there are numerous collectors in this country and elsewhere who actively collect this material and discuss it enthusiastically online in a variety of venues.

While some of the material we present may not be of interest to a certain segment of our readers, it is definitely of interest to others, and it provides a fuller picture of the flowering of the comic book format in Europe and elsewhere and how all of that history fed into its development in this country.

Superman a seminal event? Of course he is, it's ridiculous to think otherwise, and I think we've expended plenty of ink on that one. But "the entire industry is founded upon the explosive success of Superman?" No. What about westerns? Crime? Funny animals? And so on?

I think that covers everything I need to say about this topic for now.

And by the way, while Mr. Beerbohm is an Advisor and contributor in his own right, you might want to look at the lists of collectors noted at the start of the Victorian and Platinum Ages. Names like Alfredo Castelli, Leonardo De Sa, Randy Scott, our own Tom Gordon, etc. etc. There are a lot more people both interested in reading and expanding our understanding of this era than you think. And of course there are numerous collectors in this country and elsewhere who actively collect this material and discuss it enthusiastically online in a variety of venues.

Too true! When I made a similar comment a few weeks ago, TomG sent me a PM and berated me about this very point.

(Well, not really berating. It was actually very cordial. But, berating sounds better don't you think? grin.gif)

Too true! When I made a similar comment a few weeks ago, TomG sent me a PM and berated me about this very point.

(Well, not really berating. It was actually very cordial. But, berating sounds better don't you think? grin.gif)

Chris,

You know I would never berate anyone. hi.gif What makes this a great hobby is that it has such a large variety of diverse collectors and areas of intererst so we can all learn from each other.

Sorry, they just went in. And since I just authored our Photo-Journal to BLBs, I'm not likely to feel otherwise. smile.gif

Besides, books are amazing things. If you don't want to look at certain pages, you can flip past them and not even read them at all. High-tech, huh? wink.gif

Chris,

You know I would never berate anyone. hi.gif What makes this a great hobby is that it has such a large variety of diverse collectors and areas of intererst so we can all learn from each other.

I know, Tom. (hence my "disclaimer") flowerred.gif

As someone who has written countless articles about superheroes and loves Spider-Man more than anything else (classic Spider-Man specifically), I certainly understand what you're talking about. But I think you'll find when you read all of the historical information in the Guide and our other publications that we provide plenty of pointed analysis and research on all aspects of comic book history. Taking some time to talk about something *other* than superheroes in exploring the earlier history of comics does *not* exclude or lessen the superhero genre's impact, but rather gives more of a spotlight to the countless other characters and creators who shaped the industry and formats that gave the superheroes their home in the first place and enabled them to blossom into the amazing array of imaginative sagas we have today.

While some of the material we present may not be of interest to a certain segment of our readers, it is definitely of interest to others, and it provides a fuller picture of the flowering of the comic book format in Europe and elsewhere and how all of that history fed into its development in this country.

Superman a seminal event? Of course he is, it's ridiculous to think otherwise, and I think we've expended plenty of ink on that one. But "the entire industry is founded upon the explosive success of Superman?" No. What about westerns? Crime? Funny animals? And so on?

I think that covers everything I need to say about this topic for now.

Would there have BEEN an industry if Superman had not been created? That's the crux of my argument, and one that is blown off everytime this is brought up. Westerns? OK, why are they not mentioned in the "History of the Comic Book?" Same with crime. Same with funny animals.

My argument is not with the article itself, but what isn't in there. You cannot write a "History of the Comic Book" article and not discuss superheroes. You just can't.

Sorry, they just went in. And since I just authored our Photo-Journal to BLBs, I'm not likely to feel otherwise. smile.gif

Besides, books are amazing things. If you don't want to look at certain pages, you can flip past them and not even read them at all. High-tech, huh? wink.gif

Why aren't Little Golden Books included in the Guide? They are just as relevant to comics history as Big Little Books - major comic characters were introduced in LGBs (Chip 'n' Dale, Little Lulu and others). If the argument is that you want to have more in there, you need to include them.

Why waste attention on BLBs when the price listings have so many inaccuracies? I would have expected with the use of the web/e-mail/databases, the guide would more accurately reflect the current state of the marketplace, and not prices from five years ago.

As an example, who the hell is paying last year's guide prices for Atlas horror books? That's a huge amount of books that are wildly overpriced. Is there pressure from dealers on Overstreet NOT to reduce prices? There are countless books that haven't come down from their post-Gerber peak.

All that stuff is secondary the the price listings. After not having bought a guide in years, I was pretty dismayed at the state of the pricing for Golden Age material and pre-code horror. Regarding pre-code horror, it's becoming quite clear to me that key issues are way underpriced and non-keys (commons) are severely overpriced (and have never come down following the boom of the mid 90s).

Since it looks like previous Overstreet supplier, Lighthouse, has flaked out a bit, I am looking for the new source for new one. Any recommendation? My LCS only has a 10% discount on books, and I think I could probably do better. I MUST have the *gasp* John Stanley Little Lulu and Tubby cover version. I think I need to get the "Direct" edtition to get that one.

NO!! Buy the book from your LCS. Everytime we turn around another one is going out of business. Just because you CAN save a dollar or two doesn't mean you should. I buy what I can from my local shop. Bags, boards, etc... If not I may not have a local shop to buy from!!

Since it looks like previous Overstreet supplier, Lighthouse, has flaked out a bit, I am looking for the new source for new one. Any recommendation? My LCS only has a 10% discount on books, and I think I could probably do better. I MUST have the *gasp* John Stanley Little Lulu and Tubby cover version. I think I need to get the "Direct" edtition to get that one.

NO!! Buy the book from your LCS. Everytime we turn around another one is going out of business. Just because you CAN save a dollar or two doesn't mean you should. I buy what I can from my local shop. Bags, boards, etc... If not I may not have a local shop to buy from!!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll tell you a good way to get some space back into the Guide: take every piece-of-ake little comic from the 80s & 90s worth cover price or less and list them alphabetically in the back of the book w/ incredibly small type under a heading that goes, 'These space-clogging pieces of [#@$%!!!] are worth about a nickel each, if that:'. If/when any of them become breakouts, that title can return to the regular listing.

sign-funnypost.gif

I'll tell you a good way to get some space back into the Guide: take every piece-of-ake little comic from the 80s & 90s worth cover price or less and list them alphabetically in the back of the book w/ incredibly small type under a heading that goes, 'These space-clogging pieces of [#@$%!!!] are worth about a nickel each, if that:'. If/when any of them become breakouts, that title can return to the regular listing.

sign-funnypost.gif

This is exactly what Wizard currently do, but replace comic from the 80s & 90s with 'comics pre 1980'. crazy.gifforeheadslap.gif