• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

detached centerfold - 2 pages?

6 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I pretty much know the effect of a detached centerfold - but what happens if there are 2 pages detached? The overstreet guide does not really describe this (unless I am missing something) - does this kick a half or full point from the grade - or would this really mean a no greater than 2.0 ?

Assuming a book that would rate a 5/6 without detached staple.

Not looking for a "qualified" grade - more what the effect would be to standard.

I would post pics- but I would think that 2 center pages detached would be description enough (plus I am at the work PC now, they frown on me rummaging through piles of comics here, lol)

THANKS

Hey all,

I pretty much know the effect of a detached centerfold - but what happens if there are 2 pages detached? The overstreet guide does not really describe this (unless I am missing something) - does this kick a half or full point from the grade - or would this really mean a no greater than 2.0 ?

Assuming a book that would rate a 5/6 without detached staple.

Not looking for a "qualified" grade - more what the effect would be to standard.

I would post pics- but I would think that 2 center pages detached would be description enough (plus I am at the work PC now, they frown on me rummaging through piles of comics here, lol)

THANKS

Seriously? Every book needs to be graded on its own - there are no hard and fast general rules. :sumo:

Seriously? Every book needs to be graded on its own - there are no hard and fast general rules. :sumo:

Fully understand this - I can find references and examples of how a detached centerfold is accounted for. but not how a second detached page is handled. Searched - found a couple of for sales that indicated multiple detached pages - but no other real data.

Maybe a better way of asking - using one of my comics I posted to the grading forum -

cardset103082014_00000.jpg

cardset103082014_00001.jpg

firstcgc_3.jpg

firstcgc_4.jpg

First 2 scans are raw book - slabbed after pressing & cleaning by CSS.

Using the slabbed 5.0 as a reference (and you also have the pre-pressed pics for better reference of non color breaking issues)

The book as is has solid interior staples. Not loose.

What would be an estimated grade for this same book with -

one interior detached staple

interior detached centerfold

interior detached centerfold AND one additional detached page.

At least a full pop to 4.0, imho. :)

Nice job by CSS btw, to fix that spine roll / flare. :applause:

I was pretty impressed - as I can assume this took some work. The book really presents better than a 5 - but that is because the staples were so misaligned, they are now on the back cover.

I had it pressed more for improving the roll than anything else - but even the creases re much less noticeable now.

thx for the input - the double pop (2 pages detached) was not new to me as far as having this in a collection- but I never looked at any "grading" with respect to this until this weekend.

I was looking over from some batman books that were decent for ebay (maybe 4-6 before checking interior) - but then when I am looking over the inside - 2 pages detached. Read through areas of the overstreet guide - nothing about a double. No real idea if this was treated as the same staple defect (like spine stress marks - where you add for cumulative effect) - or if it was a real killer hit like interior tanning. To me - the second set of staple pulls may or may not be considered the same "severity" as the first set.

At least a full pop to 4.0, imho. :)

Nice job by CSS btw, to fix that spine roll / flare. :applause:

I was pretty impressed - as I can assume this took some work. The book really presents better than a 5 - but that is because the staples were so misaligned, they are now on the back cover.

I had it pressed more for improving the roll than anything else - but even the creases re much less noticeable now.

thx for the input - the double pop (2 pages detached) was not new to me as far as having this in a collection- but I never looked at any "grading" with respect to this until this weekend.

I was looking over from some batman books that were decent for ebay (maybe 4-6 before checking interior) - but then when I am looking over the inside - 2 pages detached. Read through areas of the overstreet guide - nothing about a double. No real idea if this was treated as the same staple defect (like spine stress marks - where you add for cumulative effect) - or if it was a real killer hit like interior tanning. To me - the second set of staple pulls may or may not be considered the same "severity" as the first set.

It's the kind of additional defect that doesn't warrant much difference in lower grade books, but does have a significant impact on the grade of a book that would otherwise grade 8.0 or higher.