• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tintin interior for 2,100,000€

105 posts in this topic

New record set by the "page de garde" (illustrations between the cover and the beginning of the story).

2,100,000€ +fees.

https://artcurial.infinitebidding.com/?method=getLotInfo&lotref=A45EE17E58

I had the dream of owning a Tintin piece one day, I feel like it might stay a dream for a very long time...

So thats $2,862,720 according to my conversion calculator

Thats a new record for comic OA

The total price with fees was just released:

2,519,000€ =3,433,900$

http://www.lemonde.fr/livres/article/2014/05/24/une-planche-de-tintin-adjugee-2-5-millions-d-euros_4425211_3260.html

For sure, I wish I had bought more art 10 years ago.

I wouldn't have been able to afford this piece, even then, though.

This is a fantastic piece indeed.

2,519,000€ =3,433,900$

http://www.lemonde.fr/livres/article/2014/05/24/une-planche-de-tintin-adjugee-2-5-millions-d-euros_4425211_3260.html

Almost 3.5 million dollars

Thats a lot of cheddar

This can`t be true. We`ve been told repeatedly, emphatically and definitively that collectors of OA are already financially stretched to pay $657,000 for a page. It`s simply impossible that there could be collectors out there who can afford $3 million for a page.

2,519,000€ =3,433,900$

Almost 3.5 million dollars

Thats a lot of cheddar

It's almost like Europe heard about the wolvie page being an interior record and decided to lay the smackdown! The buyers of the expensive American pieces are pretty much known. Does anyone know who is taking down these big European pieces?

This can`t be true. We`ve been told repeatedly, emphatically and definitively that collectors of OA are already financially stretched to pay $657,000 for a page. It`s simply impossible that there could be collectors out there who can afford $3 million for a page.

uh oh this should start about six pages of this :slapfight:

Are you RMA in disguise? Everybody knows that these are two separate markets with different pools of buyers. :makepoint:

who could have predicted OA would be such a great investment 10 years ago? (shrug)

Probably the same guy who was predicting economic ruin, hyperinflation and people buying stuff with wheelbarrows full of worthless dollars unless you had gold and million dollar Romita ASM covers.

It's almost like Europe heard about the wolvie page being an interior record and decided to lay the smackdown! The buyers of the expensive American pieces are pretty much known. Does anyone know who is taking down these big European pieces?

OMG, it must be Gerard Depardieu! :ohnoez:

I only know a few of the players over there, but, if I was working up an FBI profile, I'd guess that these European Tintin-buying BSDs:

- primarily hail from France and the Benelux countries (with some scattered around other European countries as well)

- are often dealers and dealer/collectors or old-time, old money collectors (and the former will often sell to the latter)

- are probably on average older and wealthier than their US BSD counterparts

- grew up with and are primarily interested in European BD art and not US superhero comic art

In any case, there has long been a disparity between the European OA market and the American one. IMO, they are different markets with very different participants and so there is no good reason for prices to converge. Just think about how a market reaches equilibrium - buyers in the more expensive European market would sell that art, driving prices down, and turn around and buy the cheaper American OA, driving prices up until the price disparity largely disappears. Of course, that's never going to happen because the people who are willing to shell out $3.5 million for Tintin are not the same people who love Wolverine and are willing to shell out $657K for a Hulk #180 page. 2c

Looking at collections of collectors located in Europe on CAF, it appears that there is much more crossover in terms Europeans collecting American art as well as European art, than the other way around. I see very little if any European art in the more solid American collections.

Looking at collections of collectors located in Europe on CAF, it appears that there is much more crossover in terms Europeans collecting American art as well as European art, than the other way around. I see very little if any European art in the more solid American collections.

That is true, because more American comics made their way to Europe over the past 5 decades than the other way around. There are plenty of European collectors who grew up with American comics, but few American collectors who grew up with European comics (some, like myself, discovered them later in life through travels, while American publishers have reprinted more European material over here in the past 10-15 years).

But, is CAF really capturing who is buying the multiple 6-figure and 7-figure Tintin art? I suspect there is a bit of self-selection bias about who posts on CAF and I'm not sure how many of the hardcore European collectors who eschew American comic art are really represented. (shrug)

That is true, because more American comics made their way to Europe over the past 5 decades than the other way around. There are plenty of European collectors who grew up with American comics, but few American collectors who grew up with European comics (some, like myself, discovered them later in life through travels, while American publishers have reprinted more European material over here in the past 10-15 years).

But, is CAF really capturing who is buying the multiple 6-figure and 7-figure Tintin art? I suspect there is a bit of self-selection bias about who posts on CAF and I'm not sure how many of the hardcore European collectors who eschew American comic art are really represented. (shrug)

Good point, and no CAF is probably not the best place to find out, but it does give a glimpse.

Isn't this the auction that Christies has recently become involved with?

No, this auction was Artcurial. A concurrent.

I thought I read somewhere that artcurial was partnering with Christies.....I must now search the internet.