• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stalking Stories...

8 posts in this topic

Well I made my annual offer/ask to the owner of a piece of OA that I've been trying to get for the last 4 years.

Its nothing iconic, just two nice consecutive pages from Greek Lantern 159, the book that I've decided (since it was my first GL book) to try and collect all the Original Art from.

He's not even a Green Lantern collector, but it was a gift from a friend of his years ago, so he's (still) not looking to part with it ... yet every year I check and see if he'll sell (usually dont even talk money, just whether he's interested in selling)... this year I floated out a silly offer (more than double the page price for any other pages I've bought from that book) to see if he'd bite (we'll see)... but I dont have high hopes.

So to make myself feel better, please share your stalker stories about anything comic related... maybe its a unique GA book... maybe it's OA... maybe it's an Eisner SS (I know there are a few out there, and I know a few people always try to talk them out of their owners hands)...

tell me about failed attempts, ongoing attempts, and for the love of Hal Jordan tell me someone out there has had some success! Who's stalked something the longest?

My LCS owner has some of the Gaiman Sandman covers. I've tried to buy them for several years. No luck so far.

Is she a collector too, or are they just NFS at the moment (at least since she's a retailer, you'd think at some point, at some price, she'd be willing to sell).

OA is tough cause everything is one of a kind...

She's a collector. I've floated a few ridiculous offers to her and she wouldn't even balk so I don't know if she ever plans on letting them go. She's also a big preacher fan and has several pages from there too. Picked them all up dirt cheap in the 90's :(

One guy owns most Spider-woman OA worth having. I don't even speak his name.

The closest I've ever been, is bidding on the grail of his collection. Thanks for bringing up old pain.

:cry:

I'm an Eisner stalker. I try to keep it light and friendly but would really love to get a CGC SS from Eisner as I've been a fan for years. I never got to meet Mr. Eisner but corresponded through both mail and email, even scoring a nice "quickie" sketch from him.

I have been on the other end of a stalker situation as well. I had a particular book that he wanted and he emailed me through CAF a couple of times and I politely refused. He then found a couple of members on here and had them contact me on his behalf (had I been in their position, I would have done the same). We finally made direct contact and I begrudgingly agreed to a trade deal that was somewhat less than what he had suggested via third party. Once agreed, he wanted all kinds of things, particularly bothersome to me was that he didn't want signature confirmation on the book, which I consider to be basic when making a deal with a relatively unknown person, and that he was upset that I took too long to respond (somewhere around 8 hours I think) to one of his emails. Well, I quickly backed out, citing my reasons and bid him adieu. As you might imagine, it degenerated quickly and I soon had the board members contacting me again. I explained that I wasn't comfortable from the beginning and once he made his additional requests, I decided that there were too many red flags. They understood and have been nothing but nice about the whole affair.

The whole thing made me a bit paranoid for awhile, not that it takes much….

lol

Even so, the type of communication brought up by Miraclemet is completely harmless as far as I am concerned. Stay polite keep it to an annual or semi-annual schedule and I don't think it would be a big deal.

Well I made my annual offer/ask to the owner of a piece of OA that I've been trying to get for the last 4 years.

Its nothing iconic, just two nice consecutive pages from Greek Lantern 159, the book that I've decided (since it was my first GL book) to try and collect all the Original Art from.

Does he use a sheep ring?