• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A surprise find..

39 posts in this topic

Anyone else think:

It's odd that the interior cover has writing on it?

[i.e. there is a penciled "a" in the large A of Astonishing.]

I wonder what CGC would make of it?

My first thought. Why would there be interior writing if it was a printing error, seems odd.

Anyone else think:

Good catch, that wouldn't have been done at the printers, and it seems odd that a distributor or retailer would put the mark on the inside cover.

Anyone else think:

Good catch, that wouldn't have been done at the printers, and it seems odd that a distributor or retailer would put the mark on the inside cover.

I would think maybe one of its previous owners did the penciling. (shrug)

Anyone else think:

I noticed that as well, but it's a very typical type of distributor's mark, seems more likely to me vs. an owner's mark. And if a distributor is going to mark a book that's arrived to them, they're not looking to open the book (and see if there were a double cover) and mark that inside cover, it's counterintuitive to the reason for marking it at all.

That aspect makes it unusual to see it as a legit-issued-as-such error, but I certainly can't say for sure from just a scan. I'd submit to CGC and get their take. :)

I will edit to say though, the covers do seem to have "belonged" to each other for a long time, if the inside back covers for each (shadowing on the long edge) is any indication. So if that and other aspects match up nicely, yep, I'll say they were produced that way, and the interior pencilled "a" is just another odd aspect of a very cool/odd book! :)

Besides the fact of getting cgc's take on the legitimacy of the double cover does it benefit the book to have it slabbed? If they were both 5 covers I could really see it, but since it's a 5 and 6 I might hesitate to pull the trigger. Meaning you lose that cool aspect of the covers being consecutive, at least visually.

Thoughts?

Until CGC puts its seal of approval on it, it is a curiousity. If it is legit, it becomes quite the "must have" for many multi-cover collectors. I could see quite the frenzy at auction if this is given a blue label.

Here's my question: are the ads on the inside of the #6 cover correct? How about the indica (sp?)

I'm wondering if this wasn't a proof copy of the cover of 6 that for some reason they wanted attached to a book. This might explain the penciled "a"- it could mean "acceptable" or "approved" and that whatever they were looking for was right. I can also just about imagine a scenario where it's easier to stick the proof cover into the process in such a manner that it wound up with the correct cover as well.

Still odd as heck and amazingly cool, but that's at least my first guess.

Until CGC puts its seal of approval on it, it is a curiousity. If it is legit, it becomes quite the "must have" for many multi-cover collectors. I could see quite the frenzy at auction if this is given a blue label.

I guess that is the next logical step I suppose.

Anyone else think:

I noticed that as well, but it's a very typical type of distributor's mark, seems more likely to me vs. an owner's mark. And if a distributor is going to mark a book that's arrived to them, they're not looking to open the book (and see if there were a double cover) and mark that inside cover, it's counterintuitive to the reason for marking it at all.

That aspect makes it unusual to see it as a legit-issued-as-such error, but I certainly can't say for sure from just a scan. I'd submit to CGC and get their take. :)

I will edit to say though, the covers do seem to have "belonged" to each other for a long time, if the inside back covers for each (shadowing on the long edge) is any indication. So if that and other aspects match up nicely, yep, I'll say they were produced that way, and the interior pencilled "a" is just another odd aspect of a very cool/odd book! :)

There is a Crime SuspenStories #2 for sale on the Tomorrow's Treasures site that has an "a" written on the first letter of the title as well. The hand writing seems somewhat similar except this one is in red ink.

As for the book in this thread, I also find it odd that the writing is on the second cover, but as stated above, it's probably just another odd aspect. As I am interested in reading about what CGC determines, I personally would love to own this book raw.

Very cool find!

Anyone else think:

There is a Crime SuspenStories #2 for sale on the Tomorrow's Treasures site that has an "a" written on the first letter of the title as well. The hand writing seems somewhat similar except this one is in red ink.

As for the book in this thread, I also find it odd that the writing is on the second cover, but as stated above, it's probably just another odd aspect. As I am interested in reading about what CGC determines, I personally would love to own this book raw.

Very cool find!

I would prefer to keep it raw too but the suspense is killing so I'm going to send it off to CGC. I'm just waiting on my four coupons and off it goes.

I signed up for the CGC premium plan 10 days ago and I'm still waiting for the cupons so I can send that, and others, in to get graded. :taptaptap:

How long does it usually take to get the cgc starter package? I am soooooo anxious to get it graded.