• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A surprise find..

39 posts in this topic

I just picked up an astonishing #5 in a trade/cash deal. I looked through the book before accepting the deal but as amazing as this is I did not notice a little surprise that I discovered not soon after. When I got back to my hotel I skimmed through the book again and found the it was a double cover. Not a double cover of #5 but a cover of 5 and 6. I have posted some pictures below.

I am by no means as authority on golden age books so any help on the rarity and possible value would be appreciated. Thanks....

Front cover

c580948f51dcd934c1facca5cc1d898a_zpsbae005dc.jpg

Back cover

a8b1d16bb42c5067b1e97c281e2af411_zpsd64d809f.jpg

Second cover

e2d5248d8f7338c32b23400c124b823b_zps53c9b9d2.jpg

#5 inside back and #6 back cover

7ea6d69ce0f2b70ccc86d01249228eff_zps28aad80e.jpg

#6 inside back cover

4b1a82664ec8d756dc1445557595e9fd_zps16f2d283.jpg

What are the interior contents? Are they issue 5 or issue 6?

Are they any indications that the two covers were not attached during printing? Are there extra staples or extra staple holes?

It looks like it was done during printing. No extra staples or holes.

It's unusual, but not unheard of, to have printing errors like a double cover or where the wrong interior is produced with the book. These happen because the paper slips or there's a hiccup in the equipment.

What's surprising about yours is that two covers from different months of the same title were combined. You would not expect both to be on the press at the same time as the presses needed to be scheduled well in advance and there were stiff penalties for being late. For this to happen, either the 5 was late or the 6 was early or some combination of the two.

From a publisher's standpoint, you didn't want to print two issues at the same time as the natural reaction of the newsstand is to remove the prior month's issue when the new one comes out. Perhaps was an exception in this case because Atlas was switching from the superhero genre to the horror genre and, therefore, both might be kept on the stand.

It's unusual, but not unheard of, to have printing errors like a double cover or where the wrong interior is produced with the book. These happen because the paper slips or there's a hiccup in the equipment.

What's surprising about yours is that two covers from different months of the same title were combined. You would not expect both to be on the press at the same time as the presses needed to be scheduled well in advance and there were stiff penalties for being late. For this to happen, either the 5 was late or the 6 was early or some combination of the two.

From a publisher's standpoint, you didn't want to print two issues at the same time as the natural reaction of the newsstand is to remove the prior month's issue when the new one comes out. Perhaps was an exception in this case because Atlas was switching from the superhero genre to the horror genre and, therefore, both might be kept on the stand.

So maybe they ran the print runs back to back, and this copy marks the transition? "Stop the presses, we're not using that cover yet, dummies!"

Strange things happen as we all know - reverse stapling, too many staples, no staples, double, triple and quadruple covers - but that is one of the strangest!

So maybe they ran the print runs back to back, and this copy marks the transition? "Stop the presses, we're not using that cover yet, dummies!"

Strange things happen as we all know - reverse stapling, too many staples, no staples, double, triple and quadruple covers - but that is one of the strangest!

They printed multiple issues from multiple publishers simultaneously

UncutCover.jpg

It kind of makes you wonder if there might be a copy out there with both covers AND both interiors :insane: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Even stranger in that the title was published every two months at the time, which if this is a legitimate bindery error would indicate covers being printed up well in advance. From the pictures it certainly looks like a printer error, and there is no logical reason for someone to have created such an oddity on purpose.

Even stranger in that the title was published every two months at the time, which if this is a legitimate bindery error would indicate covers being printed up well in advance. From the pictures it certainly looks like a printer error, and there is no logical reason for someone to have created such an oddity on purpose.

It truly looks legit. That was my thinking too, why would someone create this odd ball book!?!