• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you choose? Perfect centring or Perfect colour? Updated with pics

65 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

First I want to say thank you to everyone for sharing their input. It was truly appreciated and I am extremely grateful. There were many interesting arguments for both sides. After considering all the arguments I have decided to go with copy A. The colours look much better on the cover and the slight white spine is something I can live with.

So I made it official and pulled the trigger. I should have the book early next week.

I believe it’s a great choice. If it’s not the photo which misrepresents the colors, that copy’s cover looks truly white, and I am sure the white slight miswrap would not be annoying at all in hand. (thumbs u

Problem is, they aren't completely interchangeable. The most desirable books are ones that have snow white page quality and unfaded interior inks that look brand new. While some of the books that CGC has graded w may on another day grade ow/w, a book graded ow/w should never have the snow white pages that look like they were just printed, the latter of which would grade w 10 times out of 10.

You have an important point here, more than fading it is the actual quality of inside printing, which depends on the registration of the color plates.

I am keeping some books in two copies for this reason: a book might have a great cover, perfectly centered, but worse printed interiors. There is also a problem of less coverage of the Black plate ink, which results in a lot less defined and "tridimensional" artwork. They seem little things but once you have the books in hand you’ll see how better a great printed copy is – for me the cover comes next. (thumbs u