• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christmas Time Comic Mag Stories

4 posts in this topic

Just thought I would start a thread relating the biggest "gifts" stumbled upon during the process of pulling together a comic magazine collection. It does not have to relate to Christmas, but it must truly be a heck-of-a find!

Mine would be the day I stumbled into a local comic store (for the first time) and found that the owner had himself a nice little run of Vampirella in his long boxes. You could Imagine my excitment as I thumbed through the box..beginning with issue 100 and working my way down. His run was complete and in high grade (mostly VF-NM). The best thing was the price..averaging around $8.00-$10.00 per and multiples of many issues. As I approached the single digits..the fun continued..issue 6 was especially nice..it looks to be a 9.4 at least. The only bad thing was the truly valuable issues (1,2,3) were all hole-punched. What the heck...I was buying a Vampi run (except the hole-punched issues) for less than $800.00!!!

(I got a nice discount on the Vampis as well -- needless to say this guy gets a ton of my business now).This happened about 1 1/2 years ago btw. Anyway, I was thrilled and would have to rate this my happiest day in the comic-mag collecting search. I would love to hear some other stories from you guys.

GO TEAM VENTURE!!

Yup, I've seen that run of Vampi's that Brock picked up and it is impressive.. Issue 4 could easily be a 9.4 or higher (Ive yet to discern the difference between a 9.4-9.8 and his issue 4 is without flaw). Many of the issues between 4 and 20 should grade at 9.0 or Much higher. Oddly enough , after approx issue 30 the average grade falls off , but we are still in a range of 8.0 or higher. IN short, Brock could realistically pick 2 books out of this run ,CGC em, and make back his entire investment on ebay.

As for Gifts (magazine) Ive managed to find.....

It wasnt exactly a gift but the opportunity to pick up a Vampi HC in VF condition doesnt happen every day (yeah I know I endlessly promote this book for the simple fact that I own one, forgive me) sorry.gif

It wasnt exactly a gift but the opportunity to pick up a Vampi HC in VF condition doesnt happen every day (yeah I know I endlessly promote this book for the simple fact that I own one, forgive me) sorry.gif

Could ya post a pic? I've never seen the Vampi HC, is it mag size?

Yup, I've seen that run of Vampi's that Brock picked up and it is impressive.. Issue 4 could easily be a 9.4 or higher (Ive yet to discern the difference between a 9.4-9.8 and his issue 4 is without flaw). Many of the issues between 4 and 20 should grade at 9.0 or Much higher. Oddly enough , after approx issue 30 the average grade falls off , but we are still in a range of 8.0 or higher. IN short, Brock could realistically pick 2 books out of this run ,CGC em, and make back his entire investment on ebay.

Finally, a new magazine thread! 893applaud-thumb.gif It's been quiet here since the Top Ten thread.

You got the hard cover Vampi ?!? 893whatthe.gif Wow! Way to go. Please do post a scan.

As for the difference between 9.4, 9.6 & 9.8: The only decernable difference I've noticed is the colors tend to be richer, brighter, deeper than a 9.4. A true 9.6 will have color and gloss which is visually more appealling than a true 9.4.

Just MHO. hi.gif