• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hollywood Doesn't Care About 'Fanboy' Approval

69 posts in this topic

One thing that stands out about these millions of non-fans who have got introduced to these iconic heroes thru blockbuster superhero movies is they will never pick up a comic book to know the true origin.

Not only will these new fans not read a comic book, but they will not pick one up.

Sad. :(

That's one of the things that makes me sad as well. To millions of people, the latest piece of drek IS Days of Future Past and they will probably never know how awesome the original story is.

Well my point I was trying to make was here are millions of new fans being introduced to these characters, and not much is being done to convert them into millions of comic book readers. This is a golden opportunity that is being blown.

A golden opportunity that has been blown since Superman: The Movie. Comic movies have traditionally done nothing more than give a short term spike to comic book sales.

One thing that stands out about these millions of non-fans who have got introduced to these iconic heroes thru blockbuster superhero movies is they will never pick up a comic book to know the true origin.

Not only will these new fans not read a comic book, but they will not pick one up.

That's one of the things that makes me sad as well. To millions of people, the latest piece of drek IS Days of Future Past and they will probably never know how awesome the original story is.

I'll have to read it sometime.

However Comicopolis told me that the film is better then the original material ;)

I won't comment on what he told you, but I would recommend giving it a read.

Something to consider is that the general public will generally look toward us for an opinion on whether a movie is worth seeing. If we liked it on opening day, they'll probably go see it. If we hated it (perhaps only because it deviated too far from the comics), we may give it a bad review and that will dissuade others.

In effect, from a marketing perspective, we should be viewed as "early adopters". Smashing success requires enthusiastic early adopters.

Something to consider is that the general public will generally look toward us for an opinion on whether a movie is worth seeing. If we liked it on opening day, they'll probably go see it. If we hated it (perhaps only because it deviated too far from the comics), we may give it a bad review and that will dissuade others.

In effect, from a marketing perspective, we should be viewed as "early adopters". Smashing success requires enthusiastic early adopters.

I don't agree. Most people are just interested in the bells and whistles. Most people I work with know I'm a comic book guy. Very few of them ask me my opinion on whatever comic based movie happens to be out at the time 2c

I don't agree. Most people are just interested in the bells and whistles. Most people I work with know I'm a comic book guy. Very few of them ask me my opinion on whatever comic based movie happens to be out at the time 2c

I have to agree with you on this thought. I know a lot of people who went to go see X-MEN: Days of Future Past because of the lady who played in Hunger Games.

Simply put. This article is spot on.

"We" are going to spend our money on these films, no matter what. So why bother to cater to our whims and desires.

So, fan boys don't want Ben Affleck to be Batman. Who the flock cares. "We" will see it anyway, and we are a small minority of the theater going public. There is a much larger percentage of the public that go for famous names, and also go for established mega stars. Regardless if they fit the roll well.

That is just the way it is, so we might as well get used to it.

We are guppies in a huge pond.

Actually, the article makes one error. It claims studios don't care about fanboys since they'll show up anyway. I'd amend that to... studios don't care if fanboys show up or not. With top-selling comics doing what... 50,000 or so copies per month... extrapolate that out to some divisions of taste, Marvel vs. DC, etc., and what have you got... 100,000 comics fans... maybe even 200,000 - 300,000? That doesn't amount to a hill of beans to a movie that needs to sell millions of tickets to break even. And a movie character like Ant Man has no public awareness like a Superman or Spider-Man. It's being made because somebody somewhere thought it leant itself to oodles of special effects that would make nifty trailers. If not a single comic fan ever bought a ticket, the bean-counters would hardly even notice.

Any licensed movie is definitely aiming for the "I loved that character when I was ten but quit reading comics 20-30 years ago" market.

I don't think it's much of a consideration when deciding to make a movie. The movies are aimed at the general public, not people who have read comics. The vast majority of the people who go see the movies have probably never read a comic. They don’t go for nostalgia, they go to be entertained. Very little has to do with nostalgia. Most of what the moviegoers know about the characters is gotten from other media, not comics.

Well my point I was trying to make was here are millions of new fans being introduced to these characters, and not much is being done to convert them into millions of comic book readers. This is a golden opportunity that is being blown.

A golden opportunity that has been blown since Superman: The Movie. Comic movies have traditionally done nothing more than give a short term spike to comic book sales.

The Tim Burton Batman movies actually brought new readers into the comic shops, but I understand what you are saying.

I've said this before, even if you hand a free comic to every attendee of a comic movie, most people still would not read the comic. Even if *all* comics books were free, most people would not read comics.

There are many reasons for this, but the biggest reason is there are many other compelling choices for people's time. It has nothing to do with cost, art, genre, etc. since there are comics out there for just about any taste. In the 20+ years I've been married, my wife has never, ever read a comic book and has zero desire to. Early on, I tried, but she just isn't interested. Most of my kids friends that come over to the house have zero interest. Heck, most of the time, my kids have zero interest in comic books and I have a ton for them to choose from.

Knowing this, I don't worry about comic sales. I read what I like, don't worry about how well the publishers are doing and am happy that what I like (Sci-Fi genre) has enough of a following that comics are produced for me to buy. If it all stopped tomorrow, well there are other things I can do to occupy my time.

The biggest shame is the lack of quality in mainstream superhero comics so that there isn't much worth recommending to the non-reader.

The biggest shame is the lack of quality in mainstream superhero comics so that there isn't much worth recommending to the non-reader.

hm

Some people swear by the Valiant titles, even though I find them rather standard for what passes as superhero comics these days.

If you are limiting your choices to mainstream books, you face this problem, although you have to admit, this is really an over-generalization. But, let's assume this is true. There are many comics that don't come from the big two (and are not attempting to emulate the big two) which are very good. Some of them are even superhero titles.

I strongly disagree with that.

Which modern mainstream superhero comics would you recommend to somebody who had never read a comic book before?

I can think of one.

Plus, why would potential new readers spend $3 - $4 on a five minute comic book read when they could pay something similar, or less, to get a novel?

Some people swear by the Valiant titles, even though I find them rather standard for what passes as superhero comics these days.

If you are limiting your choices to mainstream books, you face this problem, although you have to admit, this is really an over-generalization. But, let's assume this is true. There are many comics that don't come from the big two (and are not attempting to emulate the big two) which are very good. Some of them are even superhero titles.

Such as? I can think of one, and that isn't published by the big two.

And remember, I'm talking about books that would appeal to people who have never read a comic.

Which modern mainstream superhero comics would you recommend to somebody who had never read a comic book before?

I can think of one.

Plus, why would potential new readers spend $3 - $4 on a five minute comic book read when they could pay something similar, or less, to get a novel?

Read all the "what would you recommend to new readers?" type threads.

Kingdom Come

Watchmen

Dark Knight Returns

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc...

I can think of one.

Kingdom Come

Watchmen

Dark Knight Returns

I don't class any of those as modern - modern as being published now.

And I wouldn't recommend DKR to my worst enemy.

I can think of one.

Kingdom Come

Watchmen

Dark Knight Returns

Out of continutity stuff from thirty years ago. Got it (thumbs u

I can think of one.

Kingdom Come

Watchmen

Dark Knight Returns

Out of continutity stuff from thirty years ago. Got it (thumbs u

lol