• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hollywood Doesn't Care About 'Fanboy' Approval

69 posts in this topic

It is just a shame when they base a movie off of a good story (like DoFP) and still have to screw it up beyond recognition, save the name.

The LOTR books are my goto in this example. Peter Jackson gave us movies that were minimum 90% of what the books are and I was happy. With DoFP, I can see them wanting to put a time-traveler in there to facilitate things, and Bishop wasn't a bad choice, but from what I understand, there is no Kate Pryde, or even an analog to her. It's all Wolverine.

meh

If anyone who has seen DoFP and knows the story from UXM 141-142, and wants to give their approximate percentage of what this movie is compared to the comics, I would be interested in hearing it.

-slym

It takes the basic premise and then modifies it to suit a modern movie audience.

And no, it's not all about Wolverine - quite the opposite.

That's an interesting way to put it lol

I think Hollywood cared about fanboy approval for a very short time when the studios first started invading SDCC. Fanboys were a free, eager, and massive source of test subjects to see what was cool and what wasn't. What were they excited about, and what weren't they. Then at some point I think they figured the fanboys will be insanely excited at every comic book movie announcement and ridiculously disappointed at every microscopic change the movie makes from the source material. But they'll watch it anyway, so their opinions lost all value.

One more question - has Hollywood ever cared about "fanboy approval?"

meh

Never.

Exactly. Why this is a "thing" now is beyond me.

I was SOOO excited when my X-Men were finally coming to the big screen. Then I saw the movie. Afterward, when it was a hit and I knew X-2 was coming out, I hoped for better things for the comic-book fan. Then I saw the movie.

I wouldn't have even watched X-3 if my brother hadn't rented it. I only watched First Class because I was hanging out with a girl on vacation for a week, and one of my buddies had the first Wolverine movie and he made me watch it. The rest, I haven't seen and don't care to. I was excited when I heard Hollywood was making DoFP, then I saw Bishop, and Blink, and no Kate Pryde, and now, I am ambivalent about watching it at all. Even with lots of good reviews from comic fans, I am still ambivalent about it. I will probably catch it sometime, but won't go out of my way nor pay a lot to see it.

I will admit, the superhero movies I enjoy are ones I don't know a lot about. I am one of the few that wasn't impressed with the Nolan "Bat trilogy." I liked Man Of Steel because I know very little about Superman. Heck, I enjoy TWD on AMC, probably because I don't read the comics.

I guess I have become what I dislike, when it comes to comic-based movies.

:(

-slym

I've never read Constantine or LoEG and I liked both movies..probably because I have no emotional attachment to them.

I've never read Hellblazer or LoEG comics but I thought both movies were poor.

meh

-slym

Never...and why would they? We make up such a small % of the movie going audience and unfortunately the majority of us are still insecure dorks at heart who seek acceptance from the mainstream.

:roflmao:

He's 100% correct. Great post.

meh

Never.

Exactly. Why this is a "thing" now is beyond me.

I was SOOO excited when my X-Men were finally coming to the big screen. Then I saw the movie. Afterward, when it was a hit and I knew X-2 was coming out, I hoped for better things for the comic-book fan. Then I saw the movie.

I wouldn't have even watched X-3 if my brother hadn't rented it. I only watched First Class because I was hanging out with a girl on vacation for a week, and one of my buddies had the first Wolverine movie and he made me watch it. The rest, I haven't seen and don't care to. I was excited when I heard Hollywood was making DoFP, then I saw Bishop, and Blink, and no Kate Pryde, and now, I am ambivalent about watching it at all. Even with lots of good reviews from comic fans, I am still ambivalent about it. I will probably catch it sometime, but won't go out of my way nor pay a lot to see it.

I will admit, the superhero movies I enjoy are ones I don't know a lot about. I am one of the few that wasn't impressed with the Nolan "Bat trilogy." I liked Man Of Steel because I know very little about Superman. Heck, I enjoy TWD on AMC, probably because I don't read the comics.

I guess I have become what I dislike, when it comes to comic-based movies.

:(

-slym

I've never read Constantine or LoEG and I liked both movies..probably because I have no emotional attachment to them.

I've never read Hellblazer or LoEG comics but I thought both movies were poor.

They were. I would say that Constantine is possibly the best example of Hollywood wilfully ignoring or eviscerating the source material to the extent that the movie has virtually nothing to do with the original comics. Hollywood is all about taking a writer's vision and turning it into cinema by committee anyway, so why should comic-related films be an exception?

meh

-slym

Never...and why would they? We make up such a small % of the movie going audience and unfortunately the majority of us are still insecure dorks at heart who seek acceptance from the mainstream.

:roflmao:

He's 100% correct. Great post.

That's why I found it so funny. Too true... lol

I think Hollywood cared about fanboy approval for a very short time when the studios first started invading SDCC. Fanboys were a free, eager, and massive source of test subjects to see what was cool and what wasn't. What were they excited about, and what weren't they. Then at some point I think they figured the fanboys will be insanely excited at every comic book movie announcement and ridiculously disappointed at every microscopic change the movie makes from the source material. But they'll watch it anyway, so their opinions lost all value.

Your right on this. I read some articles were Scott Pilgrim was the tipping stone where Hollywood stopped caring about fanboys. Scott Pilgrim tested very well with fanboys at the SDCC CON, but bombed with mainstream audiences.

This is when Hollywood decided not to really care what fanboys thought of, and started to focus on mainstream audiences.

btw I liked Scott Pilgrim, so I guess I am one of those fanboys.

lol