• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would a raw JIM # 83 with no back cover be worth?

25 posts in this topic

Hi fellow boardies,

I would appreciate everyone opinion on the following.

I have an opportunity to purchase a raw JIM #83 which is complete except there is no back cover. The owner is asking 500$ and has advised there is some room to "play" with the price. Not sure how to value this book, but it seems like a good deal. Am I wrong? Would the missing back cover make the book an NR grade? Would the value enhance if I married the cover with a reproduction cover. Confused at the moment. Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is the front cover still attached? How is the front cover condition?

A coverless copy sold for $326 graded. So your's would be worth north of that.

A 1.0 with missing INTERIOR pages sold for $800+

I would think around $500 considering it has the front cover which is the eye appeal, and as long as the interior is in decent shape, it's a great book. $400 is certainly more appealing than $500, but its hard to say without seeing a picture of the condition of the front cover.

I'd keep it as is, rather than trying to marry a reproduction back cover, or just another cover.

I'd say it's a good price. You obviously want the best price you can get but I think I sold an incomplete 1.0 for around $500 several years ago.

if the front cover is there and is decent and the interior is complete the book will make someone very happy in a Mylar.

without seeing the condition of the cover, I say 500 is reasonable, but since the seller said there is room to negotiate go in offering 400 and save yourself a 100 bucks.

If the front cover is nice appearing and is fully or partially attached, sounds like a good deal to me! Particularly if saving up/spending $ for a fully complete copy is out of your range.

I like the idea of getting a beater issue from the same month with the same back cover ads, if that is possible, to donate a back cover. This would be a fun thing to put together.

Good luck if you decide to negotiate for it! :)

Edit to say, if you do do this (find a donor back cover) just have it sit there next to the book, don't tape it/attach it in any way. Otherwise yeah, leave the book just as it is if you're going to get it. Fudging with it in any way won't help the value any and could very well reduce its appeal.

Best of luck, I love this kind of book!

Kav should be along shortly to give a definitive (aka wrong) answer shortly :D

Troll