• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obscured sets in the Registry

23 posts in this topic

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4054&Obscured-Sets-in-the-CGC-Registry

Many Registry participants have asked to compete against only publicly visible sets so that the rankings were more transparent. In response to this feedback, we have changed the handling of obscured sets. The obscured sets will still appear in the rank list. However, they will not have an official rank and will not be considered for awards.

:applause:

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4054&Obscured-Sets-in-the-CGC-Registry

Many Registry participants have asked to compete against only publicly visible sets so that the rankings were more transparent. In response to this feedback, we have changed the handling of obscured sets. The obscured sets will still appear in the rank list. However, they will not have an official rank and will not be considered for awards.

I don't really understand the reason behind this. An Obscured set still displays a point value, and one knows exactly how much one needs to overtake it. Seems pretty transparent. What particular issues are in the set really don't matter -- it's overall points, right?

It's too bad. It means I may win an award for Action #501-800, but I won't have earned it: "Zabra" has nearly four times my holdings, all very high quality stuff (he briefly "unobscured" his set). I don't know why people choose to obscure their sets (I don't do it) but I respect their choice, and don't think they should be penalized for it.

I'm not protesting -- just my opinion.

I don't really understand the reason behind this. An Obscured set still displays a point value, and one knows exactly how much one needs to overtake it. Seems pretty transparent. What particular issues are in the set really don't matter -- it's overall points, right?

It's too bad. It means I may win an award for Action #501-800, but I won't have earned it: "Zabra" has nearly four times my holdings, all very high quality stuff (he briefly "unobscured" his set). I don't know why people choose to obscure their sets (I don't do it) but I respect their choice, and don't think they should be penalized for it.

I'm not protesting -- just my opinion.

In my opinion:

If you are not trying to show off your collection and brag to others what you have, then you are not trying to win an award.

I'm not personally a fan of obscured sets…….but not pertaining to set ranking and set award status issues though.

I just felt, if someone had the mindset to want to be a part of the Registry, than actually took the time to create a set by naming it and adding the serial numbers, perhaps even uploaded photos to their set - I would think once they did some or all of these things, they would want to share their Registry Set with the community.

I definitely get a little perturbed when somebody has a really sweet or unique set or a certain book I want to read the CGC info on…..and I realize that person obscured all the goodness. :frustrated:

One could say, I'm being selfish…….and I really couldn't make a solid rebuttal against that. Especially since I know some individuals just have books in the Registry for the simple ease of cataloguing their collection in the Registry, for insurance purposes and some obscure their set because some individuals would see they needed a certain book or two and might try to d-iak them over by buying a book, or raising the price on book or holding onto books so it wouldn't surface to aid in their set.

I guess CGC decided, or took note from individuals when it pertains to the other side of the fence about why some obscure with its advantages in ranking/competing.

All in all, I give CGC props on listening to people and finally taking a firm stance on it when pertaining to competition.

(Doesn't solve my issue of wanting to see the goods some have in their set!! lol )

Should be a filter installed: Once Unobscured, can't roll-back to being Obscured again (thumbs u

If it was me at the controls, there wouldn't even be an option to Obscure sets.

That's what it is going to come to. The option will disappear.

Hopefully not - I really like being able to track my collection on-line without having it visible to everyone else. I guess there are other options for me to track my collection on-line...and I suppose if it came to it, I would just do that, but its nice to have this service here.

The awards just don't motive me to un-obscure my set. For those that do find that motivation, that's great.