• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Marvel cross-overs.

49 posts in this topic

Prior to Avengers#1, were there many character cross-overs in Marvel Comics? Having just read JIM 83-100 for the first time in their entirety,it seems that Thor is in a stand alone universe.I'm aware of Spidey #1,which seems to continue from a Ff book,but can't think of any others. Are there?

Also,are there any books, besides the one JIM, that feature President Kennedy?

Prior to Avengers#1, were there many character cross-overs in Marvel Comics? Having just read JIM 83-100 for the first time in their entirety,it seems that Thor is in a stand alone universe.I'm aware of Spidey #1,which seems to continue from a Ff book,but can't think of any others. Are there?

FF 12 and Strange Tales Annual #2 feature crossovers that precede Avengers 1, as do Strange Tales 106 and 107 (although whether or not the FF and Subby appearing in a Torch book qualify).

Reading most of the pre-1965-or-so Marvel books, it seems as if the characters are all living in their own separate little worlds. Stilt-Man becomes a menace to New York in an early issue of Daredevil and DD is the only hero to go after him? It was a couple of years before crossing over was commonplace.

STT 123 came out almost a year after Avengers#1,I believe.

I don't really count the FF and Namor appearences as crossovers as they are all family,so to speak.But thats open to interpetation.

I'd forgotten all about the STs annual.That book gets no play these days.Doesn't that book pre-date Spidey #3,or is it #4.Thats a book I need to find! Anyone got a VG/F copy to spare.

although whether or not the FF and Subby appearing in a Torch book qualify

Is it officially a "Torch" book? Though he had a long run in the title and we tend to think of that run as making the title partially "his," I find it hard to count those two, particularly since the Torch himself is from the FF, making him just as much of a "crossover" out of his regular title as the rest of the FF is.

Yes.

Didn't Dr. Strange appear more in it than Torch did? Or Nick Fury, for that matter? I think Torch crossed over into THEIR book! sumo.gif

It was a dual title book just like TTA and TOS. Next you will be telling me that Captain America crossed over into TOS. foreheadslap.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

It was a dual title book just like TTA and TOS. Next you will be telling me that Captain America crossed over into TOS. foreheadslap.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Heck no, particularly since the title eventually became all his...not so with Torch in Strange Tales! He fizzled out before the run even did. sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

in the old skool days like TOS 49 it would say "angel appears with special permission from x-men magazine". same with strange tales(FF) and FF 12(hulk). gossip.gif

wow. I did not know that. I should look it up in my marvel masterworks. Do you know when they stopped doing that?

Yes.

Didn't Dr. Strange appear more in it than Torch did? Or Nick Fury, for that matter? I think Torch crossed over into THEIR book! sumo.gif

It was a Torch title - It's not a question of how often, but when - Torch was the first superhero in the title, ergo it's a Torch book sumo.gif

poke2.gif

The Human Torch was without question THE star of the first years of STs.It was his book. Just as Hank Pym was the star of TTA.Neither star was very successful and was supplanted by others,but that doesn't change the fact that they were orginally the stars.

The Human Torch was without question THE star of the first years of STs.It was his book. Just as Hank Pym was the star of TTA.Neither star was very successful and was supplanted by others,but that doesn't change the fact that they were orginally the stars.

No doubt about it. You only have to look at how many of the STT covers featured the Torch to see who was selling the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For the first 9 superhero issues, Strange Tales belonged to the Torch. Given that, at the time, Subby was considered a FF villain, his appearance in ish 107 may not be considered a crossover in the typical sense. Dr. Strange first appeared in ish 110, Nick Fury in ish 135.

I think that Stan, Jack, Steve and the rest of the gang were concentrating on getting these new Marvel superhero books off the ground in the early 60s, too much so to get into complicated cross-overs and the like. Hulk was a "crossover" character because his book apparently did not sell well, and once it was stopped, crossovers kept the character alive. As George Lucas once popularized: "Where were you in '62?"

Marvel did, indeed, add the rather silly disclaimer on both the cover and splash of ST101 about the Torch's appearance:

660796-ST.jpg

660796-ST.jpg.7a1226ff5cba1e766d883e0daeece836.jpg