• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I made a mistake on eBay as well (like 1Cool)

208 posts in this topic

Apparently the mistakes made on eBay are not exclusive to Ohio. I've made a mistake as well.

Quick backstory:

Listed an Incredible Hulk 340 CGC 9.6 last Sunday (to end this Sunday) on eBay. Accidentally put CGC 9.8 in the title. Everything else states CGC 9.6. I even had a nice eBay member alert me to this mistake and I added a comment after the auction had bids, since eBay will not allow editing once an auction has bids.

So I thought my bases were covered. It sells last night and immediately the winning bidder sends me the following message:

"Please cancel the transaction. Thought it was for 9.8. Didn't think to scan and read the bottom notes."

At that point, my blood pressure spikes and I am not happy with this. It sold for $176, which is strong for a 9.6 but well below a 9.8. The buyer is a reseller and thought he'd pick up a 9.8 for 30% less than FMV. That's fine to look for good deals and all...but I was not pleased when I received his message.

We have traded a few messages (he's getting heated) as I don't want to cancel the transaction...I'd rather give him a NPB strike as I firmly believe I did everything I could to communicate the mistake.

At this point, he's told me I have 24 hours to offer a mutual cancellation (which being very stubborn, I don't want to do) and he's threatened negative feedback.

Should I just wash my hands of this guy or stick him with a NPB strike (which I really wanna do)? 99% sure what the masses will say....but I'm curious about that and do the boards feel I did everything I could to communicate that it was not a 9.8?

Link to auction

Cancel the transaction. 2c

I really think that's the right decision even more after looking at the listing on my phone. It's an old label so you wouldn't necessarily make out the grade from the pictures and eBay Mobile sucks - I had to actively search for your note. Easily missed. :sorry:

I would have cancelled and relisted rather than add a footnote. I would cancel the transaction and relist it, not worth the effort esp if the buyer is unhappy. Really it was your error so no real point at being upset at the buyer, wash your hands of it and move on without getting the neg.

You listed it wrong. Cancel it per his request.

Why do so many have such a problem with owning up to their mistakes? (shrug)

For the record, I did not say I didn't make a mistake. I CLEARLY made a mistake and freely admit it.

I took all the necessary steps that I was allowed to correct it (aside from cancelling the auction).

What pissed me off was the apathy the buyer took when bidding. What if the underbidder knew it was a 9.6 and bid accordingly?

The transaction has been cancelled. I didnt' realize that asking a simple question (to which I already knew the answer) would cause such a ruckus on a Monday morning.

Apparently this place has gone to the pot...

You made a mistake so can they lol.

It really do suck esp with the picture showing the correct book. However why take a neg feedback when you currently don't have any. IMO just get out of it the best way possible and block the buyer.

Of course take the cancellation.

I would have cancelled it when I found out and relisted.

This. Sure, the buyer should have read the listing more carefully, but it's an old school label with harder to read numbers, so I can see someone making the error based on the title - especially if they were bidding on a phone.

In this case the seller has to take responsibility for the chance of a misunderstanding, if they are unwilling to cancel and relist.

You listed it wrong. Cancel it per his request.

Why do so many have such a problem with owning up to their mistakes? (shrug)

Like the guy who bid on a comic without reading the description or looking at the scan?

Can you cancel the transaction and try a second chance offer? The second highest may still be a strong price, and they may be happy with the 9.6.

thats what I thought too...

better to just wash hands of the initial buyer if he's cheesing you off.

I feel for you brother but at least your not losing anything but your time. My luck the buyer would have waited for me to ship the book - get the book - demand a refund and then send me back a cracked case.

I feel for you brother but at least your not losing anything but your time. My luck the buyer would have waited for me to ship the book - get the book - demand a refund and then send me back a cracked case.

Honestly...this is the reason I hardly ever sell books via auction