• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Appreciation FREE one day show -- Aug 9th

29 posts in this topic

Nice recap!

My buddy and I got to the convention center at almost exactly 10 and there was a short line to get in. I was mainly looking for some pre-code horror books and am very happy with the purchases, pics to follow.

The turn out seemed pretty good for a free show and there were a lot more cosplayers then I expected there to be. I enjoyed the deadpool corps group although I had to quickly distance myself from them once they started playing music. Looked like a lot of people were just there for free stuff as the line for that was long for the first 3 hours or so.

It was about the usual mix of comic vendors to all other vendors. I'm with you mysterio I hope there can be more comic vendors in the future and the other groups get weeded out.

Thank you to mysterio and jaster for pointing me over to Boyd's booth. He had a nice collection of pre-code horror there, by far the biggest of anyone at the convention. You should ask him for a finder's fee :grin: Anyhow, here's the books I picked up.

Mystic_25_zps31be7831.jpg

Uncanny_Tales_17_zpsba7b82d2.jpg

Strange_Fantasy_11_zpsecb6a987.jpg

Nice recap!

My buddy and I got to the convention center at almost exactly 10 and there was a short line to get in. I was mainly looking for some pre-code horror books and am very happy with the purchases, pics to follow.

The turn out seemed pretty good for a free show and there were a lot more cosplayers then I expected there to be. I enjoyed the deadpool corps group although I had to quickly distance myself from them once they started playing music. Looked like a lot of people were just there for free stuff as the line for that was long for the first 3 hours or so.

It was about the usual mix of comic vendors to all other vendors. I'm with you mysterio I hope there can be more comic vendors in the future and the other groups get weeded out.

Thank you to mysterio and jaster for pointing me over to Boyd's booth. He had a nice collection of pre-code horror there, by far the biggest of anyone at the convention. You should ask him for a finder's fee :grin:

Nice books! Boyd (Black Cat Comics, or bcc here on the boards) has always been a dealer we visit early at a convention, as he has great pre-hero/pre-code books, and has good prices. Glad you were able to find the books you were looking for.

I think the show has a lot of potential and the promoters told me they are planning between 2 and 4 of these a year. I thought the crowd was very good (est 5000+) but they seemed to be newbies. I think once people go to few of these and the word gets out, the comic buyers will show up. As far as the dealers go, it was kind of cool to see some people we haven't seen in a while or not at all. With the tables being as cheap as they are, you are going to get a lot of weekend warriors. We were able to pick up about 150 low to mid-grade silver and bronze books from one dealer for between a dollar and five dollars. Got a nice stack of Atlas books and nice copies of New Mutants 87, 98 & annual 2 from another dealer. We picked up a couple of Golden Age Shadow comics, a Flash Comics 61, a decent TOS 52, an affordable ASM 129 and a solid X-Men 1 from people walking through the door. Missed out on a Flash 123 (thanks Boyd!) but we added plenty for WWChicago. Sales were steady but low dollar for the most part. Sold some wall books but it was mainly half price and dollar comics. I think this show will grow, which will get the attention of some of the better dealers in Texas. Overall, it wasn't a bad way to spend a Saturday.

I think the show has a lot of potential and the promoters told me they are planning between 2 and 4 of these a year. I thought the crowd was very good (est 5000+) but they seemed to be newbies. I think once people go to few of these and the word gets out, the comic buyers will show up. As far as the dealers go, it was kind of cool to see some people we haven't seen in a while or not at all. With the tables being as cheap as they are, you are going to get a lot of weekend warriors. We were able to pick up about 150 low to mid-grade silver and bronze books from one dealer for between a dollar and five dollars. Got a nice stack of Atlas books and nice copies of New Mutants 87, 98 & annual 2 from another dealer. We picked up a couple of Golden Age Shadow comics, a Flash Comics 61, a decent TOS 52, an affordable ASM 129 and a solid X-Men 1 from people walking through the door. Missed out on a Flash 123 (thanks Boyd!) but we added plenty for WWChicago. Sales were steady but low dollar for the most part. Sold some wall books but it was mainly half price and dollar comics. I think this show will grow, which will get the attention of some of the better dealers in Texas. Overall, it wasn't a bad way to spend a Saturday.

Agreed! I'll have to check out your atlas books in Chicago! See ya then Andy!

It was great meeting you guys at the show. The show was a success for us. We sold a lot more wall books than expected. Not as many people were willing to dig through our dollar boxes as usual. My wife sold all but 2 of her handmade aprons too.

My wife is VERY happy with her Wonder Woman apron. (thumbs u