• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED - ALL SOLD! Affordable Pre-Hero Bonanza!

67 posts in this topic

Hey Kids, Comics!

Here's a nice batch of pre-hero goodies guaranteed to satisfy your cravings for giant monster and over-testosteroned aliens! Most of these are low- to mid-grade (with a couple exceptions) and should prove to be nice and affordable. Stock up!

RULES: :rulez:

• Post Mr. :takeit: or send me a PM, however, :takeit: trumps PMs.

• No deadbeats, hall of shamers, or otherwise undesirable ne'er do wells.

• I accept cash, check, money orders, and paypal. Livestock, not so much. If I don't know you, your check will have to clear before I'll send the goods.

• Payment due within 72 hours please, unless we negotiate something ahead of time.

• Shipping is $10 for 1-4 books. $15 for 5 or more. Those are US prices. If you're international, I'll gladly sell you some books, but you need to agree to pay the going rate for shipping.

Thanks and happy collecting!

Journey Into Mystery 70 VG/F

Sandman Prototype!!

Looks nicer, but there is writing inside by a former owner who decided to put his name and address on several of the coupons and ads inside -- apparently he needed help making a man out of Mac...

PRICE: $65 SOLD!!!

JIM_70_front.jpeg

JIM_70_back.jpeg

Strange Tales 83 FINE/FINE+

(crease, small tear bottom front cover hard to see on scan)

GROGG!! Very Fin Fang Foom-ish. Between Gargantus, Grogg, and FFF, they pretty much covered the giant reptile market.

Also, if you had fighter jets flying in for a kill, would you be trying to poke a giant monster's ankle with a pitchfork? Just sayin.

PRICE: $100 SOLD!!

ST_83_front.jpeg

ST_83_back.jpeg

Strange Tales 85 F

Looks VF but has more tanning than George Hamilton, and a tear on the back cover. This is another giant reptilian undersea monster. I think Stan and Jack were maybe running on fumes in terms of ideas.... But still, Gargantus is one awesome beast.

PRICE: $75 SOLD!!

ST_85_front.jpeg

ST_85_back.jpeg

Strange Tales 96 VG+

Looks nicer but there's about a 2 inch spine split

May 1962 – FF teaser in margin - but these are weird teasers. It's like somebody in the production department lettered them in with crayon. I'm guess Stan was like "Hey we gotta pimp that new FF mag! Hey Sol, write something in the margin, willya?" And all Sol had was a sharpie.

PRICE: $45 Now only $35 SOLD!

ST_96_front.jpeg

2D9DF9E2-8C6A-4B33-A25D-926F5A775AB3.jpg

ST_96_back.jpeg

Strange Tales 98 VG/F

Lots of Hulk and FF teasers in the margins - and I mean like, every other page they're saying something about the new Hulk book. I'm guessing sales must've been in the pisser and they were doing anything they could to promote the Hulk before they cancelled the series with issue 6. But that's pure conjecture on my part.

PRICE: $50 Price dropped to $40 SOLD!!

ST_98_front.jpeg

ST_98_back.jpeg

Tales of Suspense 14 VG+

1st Colossus, who made a few appearances along the way in the Marvel Mythos. Looks nicer, but there's a small pinhole in the cover by ol' Colossus's ear. I'm guessing a piercing gone awry. Otherwise great book.

PRICE: $100 SOLD!!

TOS_14_front.jpeg

TOS_14_back.jpeg

Tales to Astonish 14 VG+ (water stain)

1st Krang! Wait, maybe the only Krang. But so what, it's KRANG!! A giant ant named Krang. Good thing all these monsters had names. We'd hate to just say "Holy it's a giant freaking ant!!"

PRICE: $75 SOLD!!

TTA_14_front.jpeg

TTA_14_back.jpeg

Tales to Astonish 20 (VG+)

This is a great cover story with more Kirby monsters than you can shake a stick at. Sort of a post-modern self-referential piece of literary genius.. WITH GIANT MONSTERS! It don't git no better'n this.

PRICE: $65 SOLD!!!

TTA_20_front.jpeg

TTA_20_back.jpeg

Tales to Astonish 34 F/VF – NICE!

One of the coolest, most evocative covers of the pre-hero genre. A giant monster hanging outside the window... Who didn't have nightmares about THAT as a kid? Thanks Stan and Jack, for scaring the bejeezus out of me and ensuring a steady revenue stream for my therapist for years....

PRICE: $200 SOLD!!!

TTA_34_front.jpeg

TTA_34_back.jpeg