• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is up with JSC's signature placements?

32 posts in this topic

My brother just sent me over a few pictures of the J Scott Campbell Signature Series slabs I got back at ECCC. Three issues of Superior #29. All three have different signature placements and were signed at a private signing with CGC.

Right hand side in black - alright, I can deal with this...

SEDQYOvl.jpg

Bottom in black... Still okay.

u171fVul.jpg

Silver across Black Cat - WHAT?

oxTxuACl.jpg

Regardless of how they're window bagged, and I'm pretty sure they were all window bagged the same way, you'd think the artist himself would know exactly where to put his mark, no? Stan, I can understand because he just pumps out sigs like no tomorrow. But JSC? Is this a common occurrence with him? If so, I'll be sure to window-bag the books myself next time around.

my guess is that sometimes artists get bored and try to mix it up to keep themselves entertained.

Did a private signing with him at Fan Expo Dallas and have to say most are done by the window bagging area for him and with the color preference in mind. When someone handed him a black marker he signs where it would best show, hence the black sig in the larger white areas. Since he had a Silver marker on the one he probably figured it would show up more on the Blackcat than in the White area.

Did a private signing with him at Fan Expo Dallas and have to say most are done by the window bagging area for him and with the color preference in mind. When someone handed him a black marker he signs where it would best show, hence the black sig in the larger white areas. Since he had a Silver marker on the one he probably figured it would show up more on the Blackcat than in the White area.

That I understand, of course. It's just inconsistent for the same book. Think about any AF 15 SS - they're always signed in the exact same place.

I'm probably being picky, I just like consistency. Wanted to know if anyone else had similar experiences.

My brother just sent me over a few pictures of the J Scott Campbell Signature Series slabs I got back at ECCC. Three issues of Superior #29. All three have different signature placements and were signed at a private signing with CGC.

Right hand side in black - alright, I can deal with this...

SEDQYOvl.jpg

Bottom in black... Still okay.

u171fVul.jpg

Silver across Black Cat - WHAT?

oxTxuACl.jpg

Regardless of how they're window bagged, and I'm pretty sure they were all window bagged the same way, you'd think the artist himself would know exactly where to put his mark, no? Stan, I can understand because he just pumps out sigs like no tomorrow. But JSC? Is this a common occurrence with him? If so, I'll be sure to window-bag the books myself next time around.

I would suggest getting the signatures yourself. That way you can point out directly where you want the sig and the color you want it in. Sometimes window-bagging yourself is not always the answer. I know of a few talents who will remove the comic from the bag and still sign anywhere they want and as large as they want.

IMG_0002_zps02f7741c.jpg

How big was the windowed area? Perhaps making it smaller next time would give them a more 'specific' spot...

I try and only use black for sigs so I try and use the cleanest area I can and window accordingly:

7C926CDA-B1CE-4232-8A80-5904E085714F.png

BE5A1D98-1E9C-4211-9DD6-A5175CB911FD.png

Damn marker explosion

5DE02270-1F23-40A3-9661-BC7E4887A2FD.png

That I understand, of course. It's just inconsistent for the same book. Think about any AF 15 SS - they're always signed in the exact same place.

I'm probably being picky, I just like consistency. Wanted to know if anyone else had similar experiences.

Artists do what they want. Good Luck telling one of the most popular artists right now what to do or where to place it.

Artists do what they want. Good Luck telling one of the most popular artists right now what to do or where to place it.

As long as it's window bagged JSC follows through with it. He is even willing to make his sig smaller to fit some tight areas. Big issue would be on how large of an area was window bagged and what was the requested color for the book. If all three were suppose to be black then it's on the facilitator as most artists doing bulk amounts like to knock out all of one color before moving on to the next color. Did you window bag your own or ask someone to window bag and prep for you? I honestly believe he did the location choice simply because of the color request and not because he chose to place it there himself. If you asked for Silver with an almost all white book like that I am probably going to ask for the same location so that it will show up as best can be done.

As long as it's window bagged JSC follows through with it. He is even willing to make his sig smaller to fit some tight areas. Big issue would be on how large of an area was window bagged and what was the requested color for the book. If all three were suppose to be black then it's on the facilitator as most artists doing bulk amounts like to knock out all of one color before moving on to the next color. Did you window bag your own or ask someone to window bag and prep for you? I honestly believe he did the location choice simply because of the color request and not because he chose to place it there himself. If you asked for Silver with an almost all white book like that I am probably going to ask for the same location so that it will show up as best can be done.

CGC window bagged it for me. Never requested a specific color and was never asked. Just a simple "now I know for next time" situation. No harm done.

Sometimes window-bagging yourself is not always the answer. I know of a few talents who will remove the comic from the bag and still sign anywhere they want and as large as they want.

IMG_0002_zps02f7741c.jpg

Out of curiosity, who went off the reservation on the Star Trek book?

CGC window bagged it for me. Never requested a specific color and was never asked. Just a simple "now I know for next time" situation. No harm done.

And knowing is half the battle

Hey Jake,

Whats up bro

my 2c being a little picky

The only thing worth complaining about is black on black.

Kaholo summed up everything pretty great.

JSC is a great artist who is very easy to work with and understanding of CGC SS.

That being said he is at alot of shows.

You managing your 10-15 books a show will get you a better result than a facilitator or CGC managing 200-600 books in most cases.

Ok- so CGC put your books in windows.....well now you have learned to prep your books yourself and that it is worth it.

Good luck buddy!

-Sean

Busy covers are tough. When I get those I just make a window bag as big as I can and let the creator choose.

Yeah I have had creators refuse to sign in a specified area over the years. You roll with the punches.

To me the bottom line is this-

There are already enough Signature Series haters. When I am getting a book signed I am doing my best to enhance the look of the book with creator's signatures. Where the signatures fall, what color and quality are all artistic elements to consider. So we do our best considering it is not us signing the books rather different creators with different bottom lines than our goal.

Busy covers are tough. When I get those I just make a window bag as big as I can and let the creator choose.

Yeah I have had creators refuse to sign in a specified area over the years. You roll with the punches.

To me the bottom line is this-

There are already enough Signature Series haters. When I am getting a book signed I am doing my best to enhance the look of the book with creator's signatures. Where the signatures fall, what color and quality are all artistic elements to consider. So we do our best considering it is not us signing the books rather different creators with different bottom lines than our goal.

+1

I have to say many of the artists I get Signatures for are very cogniscent of where they sign. Most creators don't like to sign over their own art and always try to find somewhere with less going on.

Examples:

Howard Mackie tends to sign Ghost Rider books of his in the tire area of the motorcycles even if window bagged else where.

Neal Adams is picky and will make sure he expresses to you that he is one of the greatest artists and knows better than you on Sig placement. If he doesn't like your window bagged area he WILL un-bag it.

John Tyler Christopher's signature is so small you really do need to remember where you ask him to sign it. I'll have an example of his next week sometime when the WW St. Louis books start coming back in but honestly looks like you need a microscope. He refuses to sign larger than that simply because of a story he expressed from his youth when an artist wrote his Signature in a very Stan Lee manner, large and across a face...

Len Wein, Doesn't care where he signs as his art was on the interior so ha doesn't care much at all

Only a few examples but there are so many examples of sig placement and diva placement that it does tend to get out of control with large numbers if not properly window bagged way ahead of time.

Sometimes window-bagging yourself is not always the answer. I know of a few talents who will remove the comic from the bag and still sign anywhere they want and as large as they want.

IMG_0002_zps02f7741c.jpg

Nichelle Nichols does not believe in window-bags and removed the comic from the bag and signed across the entire cover

Some very helpful info here. I will be preparing a book with a relatively busy cover for Neal Adams/ Denny O'Neil. Think I'll make the window area large, let them decide and hope for the best!

After all the past signings with Neal I would be ok with letting him sign it that way but Denny not so much. Just make sure you point it out for him. Denny went off the reservation on one book of mine and signed in black ink where it was darkly shaded even though there was a large blank space ready for him.

IMG_0002_zps02f7741c.jpg

Michelle Nichols does not believe in window-bags and removed the comic from the bag and signed across the entire cover

:o WOW surprising that she would do that. It's not like she has a ton of published work to her name. She should be happy that someone even asked for her sig.

comicbookdb credits her with 2 books. Am I missing something here?