• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has China entered the comic collectible market yet?

44 posts in this topic

It already happened to the guy with the 181.....

Where? Link?

I can't find the link but fearless leader bought a hulk 181 slab-went to a con, had a CGC rep crack it for signing and voila-it was a BA Cap Nomad book with a printed 181 cover attached.....can't be the only one I'm sure.....

:o

:sick:

It was a PGX slab

link

I thought 80% of USA distributed comics were still being printed by Quebecor Press in Canada.

A lot of comics are now being printed in China as well. I think it was the writer for Sheltered told me that's where the majority of exclusives are being printed.

Quebecor had an uneven financial history for a number of years there (and of note, that was after they had merged with another important name from US comic printing history, World Color) and they were ultimately acquired by a US company a few years back. No one of any size uses them for comics anymore, to my knowledge. It's been awhile.

Transcon is the big comic printer in Canada that several publishers use now.

Marvel is using an RR Donnelly plant in Kentucky for a lot of stuff, last I looked.

But yes, a lot of US comic publishers print in China now. Midas is one big printer there.

It already happened to the guy with the 181.....

Where? Link?

I can't find the link but fearless leader bought a hulk 181 slab-went to a con, had a CGC rep crack it for signing and voila-it was a BA Cap Nomad book with a printed 181 cover attached.....can't be the only one I'm sure.....

:o

:sick:

It was a PGX slab

link

Ah-thx for clarifying

I want to believe CGC slabs cant be tampered with.....

Actually, now that I think about the hijinx at PGX, maybe it wasn't tampered with.....gulp