• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has China entered the comic collectible market yet?

44 posts in this topic

Just a curious thought as I have been reading articles about Chinese collectors driving the wine market and other collectible fields. Not sure if we have boardies based in China or if there are extremely knowledgeable trend observers here in the states who could answer this question.

Marvel has clearly been targeting the movie market by creating a China specific version of Iron Man 3 and Fox selected a popular actress to play Blink in xmen DOFP.

Has this translated into the current demand in the market or do you think it will? What could be the impact?

Singapore does qualify in a way. I'm guessing these are well paid expats fueling their comic fix but any American comic exposure to Asia is beneficial. Most expats stationed in Singapore use the US friendly country as a springboard to travel across Asia.

I just finished reading another article on China's effect on the art market. Stunning what billions upon billions in new disposable income can do to a market.

I'm curious if they would be interested in such an American specific art form. The movie market would be the spark and If it did the focus would be on the extremely high grade market.

I'm not worried about the counterfeit market because it usually starts in those industries where China provides the labor and they simply start a nightshift at the same factory using the same raw materials to match the design and quality. Silver Age comics would not give them the same bang for the buck.

or they can perfecting the counterfeit technique and we all doomed

Just remember folks that just about everything is made in China now. Not just counterfeits. The laptop, tablet and smartphone we are now typing on probably was made in China as well. ;)

If this guy ever decides to counterfeit comics....

We're all in trouble

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_J._Williams_Jr.

I would be more worried about someone counterfeiting slab holders then comic books.

It would seem less time consuming then trying to counterfeit a whole comic book.

Just a curious thought as I have been reading articles about Chinese collectors driving the wine market and other collectible fields. Not sure if we have boardies based in China or if there are extremely knowledgeable trend observers here in the states who could answer this question.

Marvel has clearly been targeting the movie market by creating a China specific version of Iron Man 3 and Fox selected a popular actress to play Blink in xmen DOFP.

Has this translated into the current demand in the market or do you think it will? What could be the impact?

The Chinese stamp market is on fire, while the US Stamp market is slightly above Pogs for interest. The Chinese have brought new life into a hobby like stamps.

I could see certain Chinese investors getting big into comic book keys like AF#15, but that would probably be it, as they wouldn`t have nostalgia for generic comic books.

or they can perfecting the counterfeit technique and we all doomed

They are getting better at counterfeiting magic the gathering cards. Nothing perfect, but it's getting bad enough that wizards is adding a few new features to cards in future expansions starting with the next core set to make them more difficult to reproduce.

We're all in trouble

I would be more worried about someone counterfeiting slab holders then comic books.

It would seem less time consuming then trying to counterfeit a whole comic book.

Nothing to prevent it happen: make book, make slab, and sell.

You sell them 1 AF15 and there will be 1000 AF15 available in the market.

I doubt comic books will be popular in Asian market. Each country has their own culture and collectible hobbies, American doesn't want to pay half of the market price for UK comic book version, how do you expect Asian pay full price for something that they are not growing up with. Just don't see it happen.

We're all in trouble

I doubt comic books will be popular in Asian market. Each country has their own culture and collectible hobbies, American doesn't want to pay half of the market price for UK comic book version, how do you expect Asian pay full price for something that they are not growing up with. Just don't see it happen.

I don't know but I'd think anything patriotic would be very collectible in China since the culture seems to like American stuff. Maybe old war comics that show Japanese invaders as monsters would get a big push since they took most of the abuse from the Japanese.

We're all in trouble

I don't know but I'd think anything patriotic would be very collectible in China since the culture seems to like American stuff. Maybe old war comics that show Japanese invaders as monsters would get a big push since they took most of the abuse from the Japanese.

I'm sure there are American collectors of Chinese and Japanese art, sculpture, ceramics and the like

We're all in trouble

Well, I did state they would be interested in AF#15 for investment purposes, and not the generic comic for nostalgic purposes.

The Chinese grew up with stamps and coins, so those markets are taking off.

I could see AF#15 taking off for the one reason because now a whole new generation of Chinese people are growing up watching Spider-Man and Marvel superheroes adventures, so maybe they would want just the Marvel keys when they grow up and have substantial income in the future.

Singapore does qualify in a way. I'm guessing these are well paid expats fueling their comic fix but any American comic exposure to Asia is beneficial. Most expats stationedblocking Google, etc.) So, apore use the US friendly country as a springboard to travel across Asia.

I just finished reading another article on China's effect on the art market. Stunning what billions upon billions in new disposable income can do to a market.

I'm curious if they would be interested in such an American specific art form. The movie market would be the spark and If it did the focus would be on the extremely high grade market.

I'm not worried about the counterfeit market because it usually starts in those industries where China provides the labor and they simply start a nightshift at the same factory using the same raw materials to match the design and quality. Silver Age comics would not give them the same bang for the buck.

My wife is a Chinese National. I can assure you Singapore does not count if you're strictly speaking about China. China is moving towards closing the door (more internet censorship ala blocking Google, etc) It wouldn't surprise me in the least for the Chinesr to block the import of U.S. comics. One look at a Captain America and the censorship is on. Speaking of censorship. ....never mind.