• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collector Starting Off

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm starting to aggressively collect and want to start sending my books off to get graded but I had a few questions and was wondering if this would be the correct forum in which to post.

I will soon be sending off my first batch (~30 books) to CGC but before doing so I wanted to have all my boxes checked.

1. If I'm taking my books to a LCS, should I have it packed up and ready to go and fill out necessary invoices there or take my books in sleeves with packing material and pack at the store?

2. Is it easier to join at the Associate level and ship my books how I choose?

3. Where can I find the FMV of my books for the invoices?

4. Assuming my books' FMV is <$200, would I be safe in using the Modern Service?

5. I currently have a couple CGC comics I've purchased, will I be able to add them to my online collection?

6. With the books I'm sending off, how can I add those to my online collection when I get them back? Can I add my own scans?

7. Is the turnaround time currently listed a fair estimate?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all the help.

1) I'd pack everything beforehand, do the paperwork and add it to the box.

2) Yes.

If you're thinking about submitting higher value books, I'd spring for the premium membership which gives you the direct submission privileges, the 10% off grading and the 4 free coupons. If you're only doing modern (less than $200 value) subs, you wouldn't be getting your money's worth with the coupons.

3) If you're subbing modern books, there's no reason to ever put anything other than $200 as the value, even though it's going to cost you a couple of extra $$ in insurance. I see people at shows putting $5 and $10 value on their books and it blows my mind - if something happens to the books, they're still on the hook for grading fees, so they would effectively loose money on the transaction and have nothing to show for it.

4) Sure.

5) As long as they're part of an existing Registry set, sure - otherwise you'd have to request the addition of a new registry set.

6) You type in the serial number for the book in the correct book slot in the CGC registry. In there you can also add scans for the front & back.

7) The current turnaround times listed on CGC's site are pretty accurate (the estimated ones are not). Remember that it's counted in business days, though, so the 36 days it says for Moderns is about 2 months.