• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the center of the universe?

51 posts in this topic

I would think the majority of collectors don't collect slabbed books so would not be going to CGC's site.

Even if you predominantly collect raws, there are still plenty of reasons to be here that have little to do with the actual process of slabbing comics.

+1

Being a member and reading the forum has definitely broadened my horizon in terms of the many and varied types of comic books that are out there.

And when I see members commenting about how great a read XYZ storyline is, I'm more inclined to pick up a copy or TPB and give it a shot when I might not have otherwise.

I would think only a small% read the boards. I don't collect slabs either but I come here to look at the pretty comics and read the post. The post here are usually more entertaining than comics lol. There are some really great people here, and some not so great. However most know comics, some don't know as much as they think but still likely know more than me. I have learned a lot about comics here and have bough many comics to read on the recommendation of people here, never disappointed.

So I would say no it's not the center of the universe not even the center of the comic universe, everyone knows thats Gotham.

I'm a bit confused... where are all of these dealers everyone is saying dominate the boards? That's actually the reason I originally joined... hoping to get some perspective from dealers around the country. But it seems there are very few true dealers on here, unless everyone is so pseudonymously hidden that I can't detect them.

Now in my mind, everyone who flips books in and out of their collections is not a "dealer"... to me that's someone whose principal livelihood is dealing comics, either via a shop of a significant online or convention presence... so maybe we're just dealing with different definitions here.

But with at least a couple of thousand shops still out there, it doesn't seem to me there's more than a couple of dozen dealers on here(if that)... not counting the ones who only show if someone tips them off that they are being slammed on here. A quick review of Overstreet advisors and advertisers shows very few on here (that I'm aware of, anyway).

Obviously, the boards provide a lot of info and I ended up staying anyway... but I've always been a bit surprised by the seeming lack of many dealers on here... but now several are saying there's a large number... so maybe i'm just oblivious... (shrug)

A better way to put it would be that there are many regular sellers on here. Most collectors don't have retail locations or online stores, don't set up at shows and don't sell much, if anything, on eBay.

Maybe we could make a list of actual "dealers" who regularly post here?

This is not the center of the comic collecting universe, just a place for dealers to buy and sell cool-books to each other (and those lucky enough to stumble across the boards).

The selling forum is 1/10th of the entire site. I think you're wrong.

Most people don't come here to buy and sell. They come here to learn and talk about comics.

My LCS owner does not deal in slabbed comics. However he knows about pressing and "Joey in Florida" who presses books. He reads these boards but does not deal over them or participate.

Maybe we could make an actual list of businesses that sell on the boards. If you buy and sell, you're a dealer.

I buy and sell. I set up at local shows and sell comics and toys. But I don't consider myself a dealer. To me, a dealer sells to put food on the table and pay the rent. They're somewhat grumpy and have lost the collecting magic feeling. ( in general :)

The money I make off selling comics and pressing pays for comics that disappear into my closet or an annual winter vacation or cool purchase. If I had to survive off selling comics it would sour pretty quickly.